Solenoid power and conical area

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of heat generation in a tubular solenoid (pull-type) actuator, as well as the use of a plunger with a flat or conical surface area. The speaker also inquires about the heat generation due to resistive heating and eddy currents in the core material. The formula for calculating resistive heating is mentioned, along with the factors that contribute to it such as wire length and current. The speaker also asks for clarification on how to calculate heating due to eddy currents.
Skipplet
Hello ,

I have been wanting to find out the how heat generation of a tubular solenoid (pull-type)actuator is calculated?

Secondly, why do most solenoid design use a plunger with a flat face/conical surface area . If I am looking for 1mm of stroke.. and a force output of 2500N, what apex angle of armature could I use. IF so, what would be the heat generation.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Resistive heating of the windings? Eddy currents in the core material?

Heys,

Resistive heating due to wirings, heat generation = I^2*R.

R is found by length * (ohm/m), which is taken from American Wire Gauge
Length is found by N,no. of wire turns multiply by the average circumference of wire coil around the bobbin.

I, current is found by fixing F=2500N, air permeability, surface area of the cone, air gap is 1mm, then vary N to find I. After which able to find heat generation from resistance of wire.

Please correct me if I am wrong..!

By the way, how do I find heating due to eddy current in core materials.

Regards

1. What is a solenoid and how does it work?

A solenoid is an electrical device that converts electrical energy into mechanical motion. It consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a metal core. When an electric current passes through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that attracts or repels the metal core, causing it to move.

2. How is power related to solenoids?

The power of a solenoid is determined by the amount of electrical current flowing through the coil and the strength of the magnetic field it produces. The more current and stronger the field, the more power the solenoid will have to perform its intended function.

3. What is the conical area of a solenoid?

The conical area of a solenoid refers to the shape of the magnetic field it produces. The magnetic field lines of a solenoid are typically uniform and parallel, but at the ends of the coil, they curve outward in a cone-like shape.

4. How does the conical area affect the performance of a solenoid?

The conical area of a solenoid can affect its performance in a few ways. It can affect the strength and direction of the magnetic field, which in turn can impact the movement and force produced by the solenoid. Additionally, the shape of the conical area can affect the efficiency and power consumption of the solenoid.

5. Can the conical area of a solenoid be adjusted?

Yes, the conical area of a solenoid can be adjusted by altering the shape or size of the metal core or by changing the number of turns in the coil. This can be done to optimize the performance of the solenoid for a specific application or to increase or decrease its power output.