Solubility Constant Conversion - Step by Step Guide

In summary, the solubility constant is a measure of the equilibrium between a solid and its dissolved ions in a solution. It is important to convert solubility constants because different fields and industries may use different units for reporting solubility data. The most common units for solubility constants are moles per liter, molarity, and parts per million, but other units may also be used. To convert between units, specific equations or conversion factors can be used. There are also online tools available for solubility constant conversion, such as ChemSpider, NIST Chemistry WebBook, and ConvertUnits.com.
wenzhe2092
Dear all,

It is stated in a literature that:

Solubility = [87 cm^3(STP) H20]/ [cm^3 polymer*atm] = 93,28 (g H20/cm^3 polymer)/ (g H20/cm^3 air)

where the storage conditions is 28 degress celcius and 70% relative humidity, at 1 atm.

My question, how do i convert from the first unit to the second? A step to step outline would be appreciated. I just can't get my head around this.

Many thanks,

Wen Zhe

Engineering news on Phys.org
Im not sure anyone is quite smart enough to answer this..:(

- http://www.cadischmda.com/meshtec.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solubility Constant Conversion - Step by Step Guide

1. What is the solubility constant?

The solubility constant, also known as the solubility product constant, is a measure of the equilibrium between a solid and its dissolved ions in a solution. It represents the maximum amount of solute that can be dissolved in a given solvent at a specific temperature and pressure.

2. Why is it important to convert solubility constants?

Converting solubility constants is important because different scientific fields and industries may use different units for reporting solubility data. Converting between units allows for easier comparison and understanding of solubility values, and ensures accurate and consistent interpretation of experimental results.

3. What are the common units of solubility constant?

The most common units of solubility constant are moles per liter (mol/L), molarity (M), and parts per million (ppm). However, other units such as milligrams per liter (mg/L) and grams per liter (g/L) may also be used.

4. How do you convert solubility constants between units?

To convert solubility constants from one unit to another, you can use conversion factors or equations specific to the units being converted. For example, to convert from ppm to M, you can use the equation: M = (ppm * molecular weight) / 1000.

5. Are there any online tools available for solubility constant conversion?

Yes, there are many online tools and calculators available for converting solubility constants between units. These tools typically allow you to input the known value and unit, and then select the desired unit for conversion. Some examples include ChemSpider, NIST Chemistry WebBook, and ConvertUnits.com.