Solubility of protein in supernatant

In summary, the conversation discusses various treatments that affect protein solubility, including pH, glycerol, CaCl2, and (NH4)2SO4. The most effective precipitant is believed to be 40% (NH4)2SO4, while CaCl2 is the least effective. These treatments all result in a reduction of solubility, with no increase or salting in observed.
TytoAlba95
Homework Statement
Details in picture
Relevant Equations
None
WhatsApp Image 2019-12-04 at 6.51.43 PM.jpeg

Answer: (d)

My understanding:
1. At pH 6.4 i.e. less than 6.5, protonation or deprotonation will just begin (if we imagine that we are adding an acid to the protein soln), so not many protein molecules will be there in the supernatant
2. Glycerol interacts through H-bond with surface polar amino acids, 10% might be significant enough to observe good solubility.
3.10mM CaCl2- I don't know if I'm thinking rightly but CaCl2 in solution will interact with the polar amino acids and increase their solubility in the supernatant.
4.(NH4)2SO4- (NH4)2SO4 is used to both salt in and salt out proteins. At lower concentration it should salt in, I'm unaware of the threshold value at which proteins are solubilised by the salt.

Physics news on Phys.org
Each of these treatments lowers the solubility of the protein. There is no salting in or increase in solubility for any of them, just different degrees of reduction of solubility.

I hate questions like these. You need to know which conditions are the most strongly influencing for protein solubility. Is the isoelectric point more strongly influencing than 40% (NH4)2SO4? The fact that the protein binds calcium strongly suggests that calcium treatment will strongly reduce solubility but is that more effective than 10% glycerol?

My guess is that 40% ammonium sulfate is one of the more effective precipitating agents so either b or d on the graph must be that treatment. This leaves only d) as a reasonable answer. If this answer is correct, then CaCl2 is the least effective precipitant. Why?

What is the definition of solubility of protein in supernatant?

The solubility of protein in supernatant refers to the ability of a protein to dissolve and remain in solution in a given supernatant, which is the liquid portion of a mixture after centrifugation or other separation techniques. It is a measure of how much of the protein can be dissolved and remain stable in the supernatant.

Why is the solubility of protein in supernatant important in research?

The solubility of protein in supernatant is important in research because it can affect the accuracy and reproducibility of experiments. Proteins that are not fully soluble may form aggregates or precipitates, which can interfere with downstream assays and analyses. In addition, solubility can also impact the stability and function of proteins, which is crucial for understanding their biological roles.

What factors can influence the solubility of protein in supernatant?

Several factors can influence the solubility of protein in supernatant, including pH, temperature, ionic strength, and the presence of other molecules such as salts, detergents, or organic solvents. The specific amino acid sequence and structure of the protein can also play a role in its solubility.

How is the solubility of protein in supernatant measured?

The solubility of protein in supernatant is typically measured using spectrophotometry or turbidity assays, which can detect the amount of protein that remains in solution. Other methods such as gel electrophoresis and chromatography can also be used to assess protein solubility.

What are some strategies for improving the solubility of protein in supernatant?

There are several strategies that can be used to improve the solubility of protein in supernatant, including adjusting the pH and buffer conditions, using additives such as chaotropic agents or chaperones, and optimizing the protein purification process. Genetic engineering techniques such as protein fusion tags can also be employed to enhance the solubility of certain proteins.