Solution set of a square root

In summary: No need to talk about "negative real numbers" or "a negative real number" or "taking the square of ##\sqrt{5x-4}##."In summary, when finding the solution set of an equation inside a square root, it is necessary to restrict the values inside the square root to be greater than or equal to zero. This is because the square root function is defined only for real numbers, and taking the square root of a negative number results in a non-real solution. Therefore, for an expression such as ##\sqrt{5x-4}##, the values of x must be greater than or equal to 4/5 in order for the solution to be valid.
mech-eng
When we find solution set of an equation inside a square root why we should assume that inside of square root should be equal to or greater than zero? For example ##\sqrt{5x-4}##.

How can I use here equal to or greater than zero symbol?

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As long as you are restricting yourself to real numbers, the expression under the square root sign has to be non-negative, so you can square if you want, but then you need to add & ##5x -4 \ge 0##

Likes mech-eng
BvU said:
As long as you are restricting yourself to real numbers, the expression under the square root sign has to be non-negative, so you can square if you want, but then you need to add & ##5x -4 \ge 0##

For only real number, I cannot see that reason which restricting inside a square root being ##\ge 0##? I think it is not easy to see this. Yes if I take the square of both sides it is ##5x-4\ge 0##. This is an easy step but can it give any explanation?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
reason which restricting inside a square root being ≥0
There is no real number ##x## for which ##x^2 < 0 ##

Likes mech-eng
BvU said:

But there can be ## real\ numbers ## which can make ##5x-4## negative so when putting ##5x-4## inside a square root why should these values be neglected? I cannot understand this part easily.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
But there can be ## real\ numbers ## which can make ##5x-4## negative so when putting ##5x-4## inside a square root why should these values be neglected? I cannot understand this part easily.
Because sometimes a complex solution is not acceptable. If you have ##t = \sqrt{5x-4}##, where ##t## is time, then only real solutions are physically acceptable.

DrClaude said:
Because sometimes a complex solution is not acceptable. If you have ##t = \sqrt{5x-4}##, where ##t## is time, then only real solutions are physically acceptable.

Without thinking both complex numbers and meaningful physical situation, i.e from respect of pure real numbers, what is the reason?

Thank you.

If you restrict the codomain of a function to the real numbers, then that may restrict its domain.

mech-eng said:
Without thinking both complex numbers and meaningful physical situation, i.e from respect of pure real numbers, what is the reason?
Because for ##\sqrt{5x - 4}## to be real, ##5x - 4## must be greater than or equal to 0. Otherwise (if ##5x - 4 < 0##), you'll be taking the square root of a negative number.

BvU said:

Yes this explains it but requires more thinking. Would you please check if this explanation expanding it correct?
"If ##5x-4## negative real number and if we put it into square root ##\sqrt{5x-4}## cannot a real number because when we take square of ##\sqrt{5x-4}^2## this will be ##5x-4##, a negative real number, which is imposibble.

Thank you.

Last edited:
You should not assume that 5x-4 is ≥0. You should state that your answers are only valid for 5x-4 ≥0. That is significantly different.
You can allow square roots of negative numbers if you are willing to talk about imaginary and complex numbers.

PS. When you are editing a post, the ≥ symbol (and many others) is available by clicking the Σ symbol at the top right.

FactChecker said:
You should not assume that 5x-4 is ≥0. You should state that your answers are only valid for 5x-4 ≥0. That is significantly different.
You can allow square roots of negative numbers if you are willing to talk about imaginary and complex numbers.

But I regard only reel numbers, do not assume complex numbers.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
But I regard only reel numbers, do not assume complex numbers.

Thank you.
I understand. Just a little "word-smithing". I don't like using the word "assume" when that may not be true. It's better to state a restriction that is required to make something valid than to assume it.
Like: ##\sqrt{5x-4} = etc... ; x ≥ 4/5 ##
Then you should also keep track of those restrictions when you give your final answer.

FactChecker said:
Just a little "word-smithing". I don't like using the word "assume" when that may not be true. It's better to state a restriction that is required to make something valid than to assume it.
Like: ##\sqrt{5x-4} = etc... ; x ≥ 4/5 ##
Then you should also keep track of those restrictions when you give your final answer.

But does not #10 explains corrrectly why this restriction should be?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
But does not #10 explains corrrectly why this restriction should be?

Thank you.
Yes, it does. As long as you keep in mind that it is a restriction that you should keep track of, rather than an assumption that you don't need to worry about.

Likes mech-eng
Added to post #11 probably after you read it:
When you are editing a post, the ≥ symbol (and many others) is available by clicking the Σ symbol at the top right.

mech-eng said:
Yes this explains it but requires more thinking. Would you please check if this explanation expanding it correct?
"If ##5x-4## negative real number and if we put it into square root ##\sqrt{5x-4}## cannot a real number because when we take square of ##\sqrt{5x-4}^2## this will be ##5x-4##, a negative real number, which is imposibble.
You're making it much more complicated that it needs to be.
From post #1,
mech-eng said:
When we find solution set of an equation inside a square root why we should assume that inside of square root should be equal to or greater than zero? For example ##\sqrt{5x-4}##.
The usual square root function, the one that produces a real number, is defined only for expressions whose values are ≥ 0. This means that ##5x - 4 \ge 0## must be true, or equivalently, ##x \ge \frac 4 5##. In this case, if 5x - 4 < 0, its square root will not be a real number.​
That's all you really need to say.

1. What is the solution set of a square root?

The solution set of a square root is the set of all numbers that, when squared, result in the original number. For example, the solution set of the square root of 25 is {5, -5} because 5 squared is 25 and -5 squared is also 25.

2. How do you find the solution set of a square root?

To find the solution set of a square root, you can use the inverse operation of squaring, which is taking the square root. You can also use a calculator or a mathematical formula to calculate the square root.

3. Can the solution set of a square root be a negative number?

Yes, the solution set of a square root can contain both positive and negative numbers. This is because when a negative number is squared, it becomes a positive number. For example, the solution set of the square root of 9 is {3, -3}.

4. What is the difference between the solution set of a square root and the domain of a square root function?

The solution set of a square root is the set of possible input values for a square root function that will result in a real number output. The domain of a square root function, on the other hand, is the set of all possible input values for the function, regardless of whether they result in a real number output or not.

5. Can the solution set of a square root be a fraction or decimal?

Yes, the solution set of a square root can include fractions and decimals. For example, the solution set of the square root of 2 is approximately {1.414, -1.414}.