Solution to Infinite series for E^(n^2x)

In summary, Ian found a solution to the problem of approximation for the e^-n^2y term. He found an algorithm to calculate the result up to the first four digits after the decimal point and experimented with how many iterations were needed.
IanM
This is my first time posting so forgive me if I have it in the wrong place,

i'm trying to find a solution to the following that I can stick into either excel or a VBA script. It has been 25 years since I looked at any serious maths and I'm stumped. I can find and digest e^-(n^2y) but can't work out the n^-2 addition. Happy to be walked though the steps if it helps me get a better understanding, for those interested it is part of a solution to determine the ability for gas to flow though a porous medium

View attachment 6510

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 72
Mathematics news on Phys.org
IanM said:
This is my first time posting so forgive me if I have it in the wrong place,

i'm trying to find a solution to the following that I can stick into either excel or a VBA script. It has been 25 years since I looked at any serious maths and I'm stumped. I can find and digest e^-(n^2y) but can't work out the n^-2 addition. Happy to be walked though the steps if it helps me get a better understanding, for those interested it is part of a solution to determine the ability for gas to flow though a porous medium
Cheers

Ian

Hi IanM,

The usual way to make an approximation is to keep summing subsequent terms until the next term is below a certain threshold.
Something like:
Code:
n = 0
sum = 0
do
  n = n + 1
  term = (6 / pi) * exp(-(pi^2) * (n^2) * Kt / rs) / n^2
  sum = sum + term
while term > 0.0001
That will give us a result that is accurate up to the first 4 digits after the dot.
We'd have to look up how to do that in VBA exactly.

Alternatively, we can create a fixed column of numbers of, say, 1..10 in cells A1:A10.
And calculate the result up to $n=10$ as:
[M]=SUM((6/PI()) * EXP(-3*$A$1:$A10^2)/$A$1:$A10^2)[/M]
Use Ctrl+Shift+Enter when entering the formula, making it an array-formula.
Afterwards, it will show up as:
[M]{=SUM((6/PI()) * EXP(-3*$A$1:$A10^2)/$A$1:$A10^2)}[/M]

Or even fancier in a single cell:
[M]{=SUM((6/PI()) * EXP(-3*{1,2,3,4,5}^2)/{1,2,3,4,5}^2)}[/M]
(Don't forget Ctrl+Shift+Enter.)

We'll have to experiment a bit to see how many iterations are enough.
We could check whether
[M]{=SUM((6/PI()) * EXP(-3*{1,2,3,4,5,6}^2)/{1,2,3,4,5,6}^2) - SUM((6/PI()) * EXP(-3*{1,2,3,4,5}^2)/{1,2,3,4,5}^2)}[/M]
can be considered small enough. This is the indicator for the error in the result.

Fantastic thanks for the Help, even better it makes sense!

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. In other words, it is a sequence of numbers that continues indefinitely.

2. What is the "E" in the infinite series for E^(n^2x)?

"E" represents the mathematical constant e, also known as Euler's number. This constant is approximately equal to 2.71828 and is commonly used in many mathematical and scientific calculations.

3. How do you solve an infinite series?

An infinite series can be solved by finding its sum, which is the value that the series approaches as the number of terms increases. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as the geometric series formula or the ratio test.

4. What is the solution to the infinite series for E^(n^2x)?

The solution to this infinite series is e^(x^2), where e is Euler's number and x is the variable. This solution can be obtained by using the Taylor series expansion for e^x, which is e^x = 1 + x + (x^2)/2! + (x^3)/3! + ...

5. Why is the infinite series for E^(n^2x) important in mathematics?

This infinite series is important in mathematics because it has many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to approximate and solve many complex problems.