Solutions Manual for Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang?

In summary, someone has been unable to find a solution manual for Serge Lang's book "Basic Mathematics" and is asking for help.
bistan
I've been googling all over for a solutions manual to the book Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang, but I've only been able to find one for his book on geometry. It's not a terrible problem, but I'm using the book for self-study. At first it seemed that any exercise with multiple parts had at least one part answered in the back, so I could check to make sure my general approach was correct. Now I'm at about the middle of the book, and multiple exercises per section have no answer in the back for any of the parts.

Has anyone been able to find one? Should I just feel free to post my attempts at solutions here or perhaps on OpenStudy? I'm working on this book every day and I really don't want to ask constantly for someone more knowledgeable check all of my work for me. I could just trust in my own solutions, but I don't think that's the best idea right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
If Lang and his publisher wanted to sell you the solutions manual, they'd make it available for sale. Wanting a book that someone else doesn't want to sell you doesn't make it legal for you to copy it.

bcrowell said:
If Lang and his publisher wanted to sell you the solutions manual, they'd make it available for sale. Wanting a book that someone else doesn't want to sell you doesn't make it legal for you to copy it.

What? I was asking if the solutions manual even exists, and if any stores had it for sale. I'm really not sure how I can copy a solutions manual that I don't have, or what I would do with a copy. :uhh:

Maybe my question isn't worded well? :biggrin:

Last edited:
If it were available for sale, you'd probably be able to find it on the publisher's web site, on amazon.com, and probably other online booksellers. A simple Google search on the author and title of the book itself would probably turn it up.

If you want help on specific exercises, or to check your solutions, please feel free to post in the Precalculus Mathematics subforum of Homework and Coursework Questions, which I see you've already found.

I understand the frustration of not being able to find a solutions manual for the book you are using for self-study. However, it is important to keep in mind that the purpose of self-study is to challenge ourselves and learn independently. Resorting to a solutions manual may hinder our learning and critical thinking skills.

That being said, it is always helpful to have a way to check our work and make sure we are on the right track. In this case, I would suggest reaching out to other students or online communities, such as OpenStudy, to discuss your solutions and get feedback. This not only allows for collaboration and learning from others, but also helps to build a better understanding of the material.

Additionally, if you are having trouble with specific exercises or topics, it may be beneficial to consult additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or even reaching out to a math tutor for guidance.

In the end, the most important thing is to keep practicing and challenging ourselves to improve our understanding of the material. I wish you the best of luck in your self-study journey.

1. What is a solutions manual?

A solutions manual is a supplement to a textbook that provides detailed step-by-step solutions to the problems and exercises in the textbook. It is designed to help students understand and practice the concepts and techniques presented in the textbook.

2. Is the solutions manual necessary for understanding the material in the textbook?

No, the solutions manual is not necessary for understanding the material in the textbook. It is meant to be a helpful tool for students to check their work and practice problem-solving.

3. Are the solutions in the manual the same as the ones in the textbook?

Yes, the solutions in the manual are the same as the ones in the textbook. They may be presented in a different format, but the steps and techniques used to solve the problems are the same.

4. Can the solutions manual be used as a substitute for studying and learning from the textbook?

No, the solutions manual should not be used as a substitute for studying and learning from the textbook. It is important to read and understand the material in the textbook before attempting to solve problems.

5. Are there solutions for all problems in the textbook included in the manual?

Yes, the solutions manual typically includes solutions for all problems and exercises in the textbook. However, some editions or versions of the textbook may have additional problems that are not included in the solutions manual.