Solutions of the given linear programming problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear programming problem with the objective of minimizing a given equation. The simplex method is used to find all solutions, and it is determined that there are infinite solutions with a minimum value of 8. The conversation also confirms the correctness of the solutions found.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! :eek:
Given the following linear programming problem
$$\min(2x + 3y + 6z + 4w)$$
$$x+2y+3z+w \geq 5$$
$$x+y+2z+3w \geq 3$$
$$x,y,z,w \geq 0$$
I am asked to find all the solutions using the simplex method.

To solve this problem we use the Two-Phase method, don't we?
Then I found that there are infinite many solutions, $(x,y,z,w)=(1-m, 2+0.4m, 0, 0.2m), 0≤m≤1$ with $min=8$.
Could you tell me if this is right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
$$x+2y+3z+w \geq 5$$
$$x+y+2z+3w \geq 3$$
$$x,y,z,w \geq 0$$

Then I found that there are infinite many solutions, $(x,y,z,w)=(1-m, 2+0.4m, 0, 0.2m), 0≤m≤1$ with $min=8$.
Your answer is certainly correct, because if you add the two inequalities you get $2x + 3y + 5z + 4w \geqslant 5+3=8$. Therefore $2x + 3y + 6z + 4w \geqslant 8+z$, which is minimised by taking $z=0$. Your solutions, with $z=0$, clearly satisfy all the given conditions, so they must be right.

mathmari said:
$$x+2y+3z+w \geq 5$$
$$x+y+2z+3w \geq 3$$
$$x,y,z,w \geq 0$$

Looks good! ;)

EDIT: Aargh, overtaken by Opalg.

Opalg said:
Your answer is certainly correct, because if you add the two inequalities you get $2x + 3y + 5z + 4w \geqslant 5+3=8$. Therefore $2x + 3y + 6z + 4w \geqslant 8+z$, which is minimised by taking $z=0$. Your solutions, with $z=0$, clearly satisfy all the given conditions, so they must be right.

Great! Thank you for your answer! :eek:

- - - Updated - - -

I like Serena said:
Looks good! ;)

EDIT: Aargh, overtaken by Opalg.

Nice! Thank you! :eek:

Hello! It seems like you have correctly applied the Two-Phase method to solve the given linear programming problem. The result you have obtained is a set of feasible solutions with a minimum value of 8. However, it is important to note that there may be other feasible solutions that can also achieve this minimum value. To ensure that your solution is optimal, you can use the Simplex method to check for any alternative solutions that may have a lower objective function value. Overall, your approach and solution seem to be correct. Great job!

What is a linear programming problem?

A linear programming problem is a mathematical optimization technique used to find the best possible solution to a problem with multiple variables and constraints. It involves creating a mathematical model and using algorithms to find the optimal values for the variables that will maximize or minimize a given objective function.

How do you represent a linear programming problem?

A linear programming problem can be represented using a set of linear inequalities or equations. These are typically written in standard form, with all variables on the left side and constants on the right side. The objective function, which defines the goal of the problem, is also included in the representation.

What is the role of constraints in a linear programming problem?

Constraints are restrictions or limitations that must be considered when finding the optimal solution to a linear programming problem. These can include limitations on resources, budget, time, or other factors. The constraints are represented as inequalities or equations in the mathematical model and help to narrow down the feasible region of possible solutions.

How do you solve a linear programming problem?

Linear programming problems can be solved using a variety of methods, including the simplex method, graphical method, and computer algorithms. These methods involve iteratively evaluating different combinations of values for the variables until the optimal solution is found. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the problem and the resources available.

What are some real-world applications of linear programming?

Linear programming has a wide range of applications in fields such as business, engineering, economics, and transportation. It can be used to optimize production processes, resource allocation, financial planning, and supply chain management. It is also commonly used in decision-making and planning for public services, such as healthcare and education.