Solve a Gas Law Problem: Find T in °C

In summary: Ha! I noticed that. That's what I get for trying to do it in my head. In summary, the gas sample has a temperature of 20.9 degrees Celsius.
Jennifer_T

Homework Statement

If 1.15 moles of an ideal gas has a pressure of 3.60 atm, and a volume of 81.37 L, what is the temperature of the sample in degrees Celsius?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
p = pressure
v = volume
n = number of moles
r = 0.08206 L atm/(mol K)
T = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I did the problem by :
3.60 (81.37) = (1.15)(0.08206)(T)
I found T to be 20.9 degrees K. I converted the temperature from K to C by doing K = C + 273 so 20.9 = C + 273. So the temperate in C is -252 degrees. However, I am still getting this wrong in the online homework. Can anyone help me figure out mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jennifer_T said:

Homework Statement

If 1.15 moles of an ideal gas has a pressure of 3.60 atm, and a volume of 81.37 L, what is the temperature of the sample in degrees Celsius?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
p = pressure
v = volume
n = number of moles
r = 0.08206 L atm/(mol K)
T = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I did the problem by :
3.60 (81.37) = (1.15)(0.08206)(T)
I found T to be 20.9 degrees K. I converted the temperature from K to C by doing K = C + 273 so 20.9 = C + 273. So the temperate in C is -252 degrees. However, I am still getting this wrong in the online homework. Can anyone help me figure out mistake?
You did the arithmetic incorrectly. That's all.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You did the arithmetic incorrectly. That's all.

Chet

I have done the problem multiple times and am unsure of where my arithmetic problem is.

Jennifer_T said:
I have done the problem multiple times and am unsure of where my arithmetic problem is.
Well, your equation should give the correct temperature, which is in the 200's. I guess the only what we can help you further is if you show the individual steps in your arithmetic. What do you get for the product of PV? When you divided that by R what do you get? When you divide that by the number of moles, what do you get?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Well, your equation should give the correct temperature, which is in the 200's. I guess the only what we can help you further is if you show the individual steps in your arithmetic. What do you get for the product of PV? When you divided that by R what do you get? When you divide that by the number of moles, what do you get?

Chet

So I did (3.60)(81.37)/(1.15)(0.08206) into my calculator in order to get T in Kelvins.

Jennifer_T said:
So I did (3.60)(81.37)/(1.15)(0.08206) into my calculator in order to get T in Kelvins.
Yes. That's correct. When I did it on my calculator, I got 3104K. That 0.08206 is in the denominator, not in the numerator. You need to be careful with your parenthesis.

Chet

I guess the temperature wasn't in the 200s after all. The surface of the sun is about 5700 K, so this gas sample is quite the hot potato.

SteamKing said:
I guess the temperature wasn't in the 200s after all. The surface of the sun is about 5700 K, so this gas sample is quite the hot potato.
Ha! I noticed that. That's what I get for trying to do it in my head.

Chet

1. What is the gas law equation used to solve for temperature?

The gas law equation used to solve for temperature is T = (P x V) / nR, where T represents temperature in Kelvin, P represents pressure, V represents volume, n represents moles, and R represents the gas constant.

2. How do I convert the temperature from Kelvin to Celsius?

To convert from Kelvin to Celsius, you can use the formula T(°C) = T(K) - 273.15. Simply subtract 273.15 from the temperature in Kelvin to get the temperature in Celsius.

3. Can I use any units for pressure and volume in the gas law equation?

Yes, you can use any units as long as they are consistent. However, it is recommended to use units of atmospheres (atm) for pressure and liters (L) for volume to get the correct result in Kelvin.

4. What is the significance of the gas constant (R) in the gas law equation?

The gas constant (R) represents the proportionality constant in the gas law equation. It is a value that is dependent on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature. Its value is 0.0821 L·atm/mol·K.

5. Are there any other gas laws that can be used to solve for temperature?

Yes, there are other gas laws such as Charles's Law and Gay-Lussac's Law that can be used to solve for temperature. However, the general gas law equation T = (P x V) / nR can be used to solve for temperature in most gas law problems.