Solve b) Using Parseval's Theorem

In summary: So you need to subtract it once. As I say, I have not checked the details of your calculations from the start.
goohu
Hello good folks!

I'm stuck trying to solve the problem b). In the theory book examples they are skipping steps and shortly states 'use algebra' and parsevals theorem to rewrite the Fourier series into the answer that is given.

So I've tried to use parsevals theorem but I still can't rewrite the result into the sum we are looking for.

View attachment 9282

In case the picture is too blurry;

a)

f(t) = \(\displaystyle \frac{{pi}^{2}}{3} + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{4*{-1}^{k}}{{k}^{2}} cos(kt)\)

b) Calculate the sum of \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{{-1}^{k+1}}{{k}^{2}}\)

Attachments

• 72462112_396696607896082_1948515074649882624_n_2.jpg
    72462112_396696607896082_1948515074649882624_n_2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
goohu said:
Hello good folks!

I'm stuck trying to solve the problem b). In the theory book examples they are skipping steps and shortly states 'use algebra' and parsevals theorem to rewrite the Fourier series into the answer that is given.

So I've tried to use parsevals theorem but I still can't rewrite the result into the sum we are looking for.
In case the picture is too blurry;

a)

f(t) = \(\displaystyle \frac{{pi}^{2}}{3} + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{4*{-1}^{k}}{{k}^{2}} cos(kt)\)

b) Calculate the sum of \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{{-1}^{k+1}}{{k}^{2}}\)

Hi goohu,

We also have that $f(t)=t^2$.
What do we get if we substitute $t=0$?

f(t)=t^2.
f(0) = 0.

If we plug in t=0 into the Fourier series the cos term simply becomes 1. But what do we do from here?

goohu said:
f(t)=t^2.
f(0) = 0.

If we plug in t=0 into the Fourier series the cos term simply becomes 1. But what do we do from here?

More specifically we get:
$$0 = \frac{{\pi}^{2}}{3} + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{4\cdot{(-1)}^{k}}{{k}^{2}} \cdot 1$$
Can we rewrite that equation into the desired form?

Thanks Klaas! I solved the problem now.

Is this trick where you put t = 0 always applicable? IIRC musnt the function be continuous?

Before this I used the formula where you square both sides and it didnt work to rewrite it from there. How do know when to use which method?

goohu said:
Thanks Klaas! I solved the problem now.

Is this trick where you put t = 0 always applicable? IIRC musnt the function be continuous?

Before this I used the formula where you square both sides and it didnt work to rewrite it from there. How do know when to use which method?

The 'trick' here is that we write a function $f(t)$ as a Fourier Series.
Then we can substitute any value for $t$ that we want.
The condition to write a function as a Fourier Series is:
If f is continuous and the derivative of f(t) (which may not exist everywhere) is square integrable, then the Fourier series of f converges absolutely and uniformly to f(t).

What do you mean by squaring both sides?
In this particular case the requested sum in (b) is simply an application of the result found in (a).
More generally, a Fourier Series is just one of the many tools that make some problems suddenly easy to solve.

Sorry for the late reply, but here's an example of "squaring both sides" its just something found in my formula sheet:

I also got stuck at the last step trying to find \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{{k}^{2}+4}\)

View attachment 9307

Attachments

• n (2).jpg
    n (2).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 55
goohu said:
Sorry for the late reply, but here's an example of "squaring both sides" its just something found in my formula sheet:

I also got stuck at the last step trying to find \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{{k}^{2}+4}\)
I have not tried to follow all of your calculations, but there is one obvious mistake. If $c_k$ is a complex number then $|c_k|^2$ is not the same as $c_k^2$. In fact, $|c_k|^2 = c_k\overline{c_k}$ (where the bar denotes the complex conjugate).

So if $c_k = \dfrac{e^{4\pi}-1}{2\pi(2-ik)}$ then $|c_k|^2 = \dfrac{(e^{4\pi}-1)^2}{4\pi^2(2-ik)(2+ik)} = \dfrac{(e^{4\pi}-1)^2}{4\pi^2(4+k^2)}$.

It turns out I almost got the right answer (same as the picture) and the left hand side becomes \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{{k}^{2}+4}\). However the right hand side misses a -1/8 term.

Last edited:
goohu said:
It turns out I almost got the right answer (same as the picture) and the left hand side becomes \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{{k}^{2}+4}\). However the right hand side misses a 1/8 term.
I think that the missing 1/8 possibly comes from the fact that when you combine the terms indexed by $k$ and $-k$ in the sum \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty}|c_k|^2\), in order to get a sum \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} |c_k|^2\), you are in danger of counting the $k=0$ term twice.

1. What is Parseval's Theorem?

Parseval's Theorem is a mathematical principle that states the total energy in a signal can be calculated by finding the sum of the squared values of its Fourier coefficients.

2. How is Parseval's Theorem used?

Parseval's Theorem can be used to analyze signals in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It allows for the calculation of energy in a signal without having to measure it directly.

3. What is the formula for Parseval's Theorem?

The formula for Parseval's Theorem is E = ∑|cn|2, where E is the total energy in the signal and cn is the Fourier coefficient at a specific frequency.

4. How does Parseval's Theorem relate to the Fourier Transform?

Parseval's Theorem is closely related to the Fourier Transform, as it is used to calculate the energy in a signal by analyzing its frequency components. The Fourier Transform is used to decompose a signal into its frequency components.

5. Can Parseval's Theorem be applied to any type of signal?

Yes, Parseval's Theorem can be applied to any type of signal as long as it is finite and has a well-defined Fourier Transform. This includes signals in both the time and frequency domains.