Solve Coilgun Inefficiency & Measure Projectile Speed France

In summary, your coilgun may not be firing correctly. You may need to switch coils or increase the voltage. You could also try using magnets as projectiles.
oum
Hi,
I've built a coilgun using a solenoid, but my projectile stops at the half of the road, but this way i can't measure neither the acceleration nor the speed. what could be wrong ? how to push it further ?
I also have a question about the efficient methods to measure the speed of the projectile. I've thought about the accoustic method, but it was not efficient since the room where i do the experiences is not isolated.
btw i study in France so excuse me if i don't use a proper vocabulary.

Engineering news on Phys.org
oum said:
Hi,
I've built a coilgun using a solenoid, but my projectile stops at the half of the road, but this way i can't measure neither the acceleration nor the speed. what could be wrong ? how to push it further ?
I also have a question about the efficient methods to measure the speed of the projectile. I've thought about the accoustic method, but it was not efficient since the room where i do the experiences is not isolated.
btw i study in France so excuse me if i don't use a proper vocabulary.
Welcome to the PF, and your English vocabulary and grammar are fine. :smile:

Can you UPLOAD a schematic of your setup, and a couple pictures? That will help us to help you out.

A coil gun involves switching at just the right instants in time to continue to accelerate the projectile. It sounds like you may not be switching, or at least not switching at the right moments.

A chronograph is a great method to measure the speed of a projectile. You can purchase a chronograph, or borrow one from a firearm enthusiast.

A lot of rifle cartridge reloaders (like myself) use chronographs to measure the velocity of the rifle's projectile. They experiment with different quantities and types of gunpowder, primers, and projectiles to suit their needs and monitor their batches of cartridges for consistent performance (low std dev).

actually, I've tested lately a new method which is to record the sound of the friction of the projectile in the solenoid and analyse it with audacity, but i still can't find the link between sound intensity and the Instantaneous speed of the projectile.

As for making your coilgun more efficient, there's a few things you could do.

First, like Dr.D said, you need to switch your coils at just the right time. For my own coilguns, I've always used a setup like this:
Cv8QMYt.png

The idea is that the projectile itself acts as a switch for the coil. Once it travels between one third and half of the length of the coil, the contact breaks and the magnetic field collapses. If you're smart about your circuit, you can actually re-claim the energy left in the magnetic field for the next shot, or additional stages.
Keep in mind that the magnetic field will take some time to collapse, and also that the force on the projectile becomes very small towards the center of the coil. There isn't much benefit to making the projectile go all the way to the halfway point before switching the coil off - in fact, doing so may actually slow it down again because the magnetic field doesn't collapse instantly.

Secondly, use higher voltages. Higher voltages are generally more efficient, because you can use coils with more turns - and thus get the same magnetic field strength with less waste heat. Even if you use the same coils, the higher voltage causes a much sharper increase in current, so you're building up your magnetic field much more quickly. Just keep in mind that this also means that your coils store more energy, and so it becomes important to either use it all in one go, or to add some circuitry to re-claim that energy for a 2nd or even a 3rd stage.
Re-claiming energy is "dangerous" too, though, because the projectile will always keep a residual magnetic field, and you can actually slow it down by doing this.

Third, use a large mass! Coilguns are inherently slow because the inductance of the coils limits how quickly you can build up and destroy a magnetic field, and a large mass can pull energy out of a coil's magnetic field much more quickly than a small mass. Also use materials with a high magnetic permeability, because a stronger attraction means faster conversion from magnetic potential to kinetic energy.
You could also use magnets as projectiles. I did this and it really helps with relatively low-energy coilguns.

I've driven my early coilguns using a single 400V/2200uF capacitor and managed to get muzzle energies of 20-30 Joules at roughly 35 m/s with that. For later experiments, I used an 800V/1200uF capacitor bank, and I got muzzle energies in excess of 50J with that, at around 60 m/s and a lighter projectile.

I always measured the velocity by shooting across a given distance, recording the shot on camera, and then timing how long it took the projectile from the moment it was fired until its impact on the target. Not the most accurate, but good enough for relatively low velocities if you have limited equipment.

Likes Bandersnatch
@SirLollington -- You are working with fairly high energies there, and I'm not sure that the OP @oum has the background and experience to work with such energies safely. It sounds like you do have the appropriate background to work relatively safely with those voltages and currents, but we are going to close this thread now because it is approaching the "dangerous activity" stage, which we do not allow on the PF for safety and liability reasons.

Thank you to all who have participated.

Likes SirLollington

What is a coilgun and how does it work?

A coilgun is a type of electromagnetic launcher that uses a series of coils to accelerate a projectile. When an electric current is passed through the coils, it creates a magnetic field which propels the projectile forward. The projectile is typically made of a ferromagnetic material, such as iron, and is accelerated by the changing magnetic field as it travels through the coils.

Why is coilgun inefficiency a problem?

Coilgun inefficiency refers to the amount of energy that is lost during the acceleration of the projectile. This energy loss can result in a decrease in the speed and power of the projectile, which can limit its effectiveness. Inefficiency can also lead to increased heat and wear on the coils, potentially reducing the lifespan of the coilgun.

How can coilgun inefficiency be solved?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of a coilgun. One method is to use better quality materials for the coils, such as low resistance wires, to reduce energy loss. Another approach is to optimize the design of the coils, such as using a tapered shape, to improve the magnetic field and increase the acceleration of the projectile. Additionally, implementing a feedback system to adjust the timing and strength of the current can also improve efficiency.

What is the best way to measure the speed of a projectile in a coilgun?

The most accurate way to measure the speed of a projectile in a coilgun is to use a high-speed camera. By recording the projectile's motion and calculating the distance traveled in a specific time period, the speed can be determined. Other methods, such as using a laser sensor or a ballistic pendulum, can also provide an estimate of the projectile's speed.

Are there any regulations or safety concerns when using a coilgun in France?

As with any type of electromagnetic launcher, there may be regulations and safety concerns when using a coilgun in France. It is important to consult with local authorities and adhere to any laws or guidelines regarding the use of coilguns. Safety precautions should also be taken to prevent injury or damage to property, such as wearing protective gear and ensuring a clear firing range.