Solve Complex Number IV Problem: Find Radius & Centre

In summary, we have a complex number represented by the point P in an Argand diagram. If the real part of the complex number w=\frac{z+1}{z-2i} (z not 2i) is zero, the locus of P is a circle. To find the radius and center of the circle, we need to manipulate w by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by x-(y-2)i. This gives us Re(w)=\frac{x^2+x+y^2-2y}{x^2+y^2-4y+4}. By setting this equal to zero and transforming the equation into the form (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2, we can find
Punch
A complex number is represented by the point P in an Argand diagram. If the real part of the complex number w=\frac{z+1}{z-2i} (z not 2i) is zero, show that the locus of P is a circle and find the radius and centre of the circle.

I have a problem manipulating w to find the real part of w

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Punch said:
A complex number is represented by the point P in an Argand diagram. If the real part of the complex number w=\frac{z+1}{z-2i} (z not 2i) is zero, show that the locus of P is a circle and find the radius and centre of the circle.

I have a problem manipulating w to find the real part of w

Hi Punch,

Let \(z=x+yi\) where \(x,y\in\Re\).

\[w=\frac{z+1}{z-2i}=\frac{(x+1)+yi}{x+(y-2)i}\]

Now multiply both the numerator and the denominator by \(x-(y-2)i\). Hope you can continue. :)

Sudharaka said:
Hi Punch,

Let \(z=x+yi\) where \(x,y\in\Re\).

\[w=\frac{z+1}{z-2i}=\frac{(x+1)+yi}{x+(y-2)i}\]

Now multiply both the numerator and the denominator by \(x-(y-2)i\). Hope you can continue. :)

I followed as you said but couldn't find how to extract the real part out...

Punch said:
I followed as you said but couldn't find how to extract the real part out...

What did you get after multiplying by \(x-(y-2)i\) ?

Sudharaka said:
What did you get after multiplying by \(x-(y-2)i\) ?

With regards to the real part, \frac{x^2+x+y^2+2y}{x^2+y^2-2y+4}=0

But I do not see how i can use this

Punch said:
With regards to the real part, \[\frac{x^2+x+y^2+2y}{x^2+y^2-2y+4}=0\]

But I do not see how i can use this

\[Re(w)=\frac{x^2+x+y^2-2y}{x^2+y^2-4y+4}\]

As you may see, you have calculated the real part incorrectly. Check your calculation again.

Since, \(Re(w)=0\Rightarrow x^2+x+y^2-2y=0\)

Now can you try to transform this equation into the form \((x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2\). The complex number \(z\) is on this circle. All you got to do is find \(a, b\) and \(c\).

Related to Solve Complex Number IV Problem: Find Radius & Centre

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√−1).

How do you find the radius of a complex number?

The radius of a complex number is equal to the distance between the complex number and the origin on the complex plane. To find the radius, you can use the formula r = √(a² + b²), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number, respectively.

What is the centre of a complex number?

The centre of a complex number is the point on the complex plane that represents the complex number. It is located at the coordinates (a, b), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number, respectively.

How do you solve a complex number IV problem?

To solve a complex number IV problem, you need to find the centre and radius of the given complex number. Then, you can use the equation z = x + yi, where z is the complex number, x is the real part, and y is the imaginary part, to find the coordinates of the centre.

What are some common applications of solving complex number IV problems?

Complex number IV problems have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used to model and solve problems involving alternating current circuits, control systems, and signal processing.