Solve Definite Integral w/ Absolute Value Factor - Yahoo! Answers

In summary, we are asked to evaluate the definite integral with an absolute value factor, and using the definition of absolute value and the fundamental theorem of calculus, we obtain the solution as -65449/4.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
☺'s question at Yahoo! Answers: a definite integral whose integrand has an absolute value factor.

Here is the question:

☺ said:
How to solve ʃ (-18 to 1) [s│81 - s^2 │] ds?

The 81 - s^2 is inside absolute value signs. I don't know how to do this. Can you show me how?

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can view my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: ☺'s question at Yahoo! Answers: a definite integral whose integrand has an absolute value factor

Hello ☺,

We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{-18}^{1} s\left|81-s^2\right|\,ds\)

First, we should observe that the expression within the absolute value is negative on:

\(\displaystyle (-\infty,-9)\,\cup\,(9,\infty)\)

And so, using the definition of an absolute value, namely:

\(\displaystyle |x|=\begin{cases}x & 0\le x\\ -x & x<0 \\ \end{cases}\)

we may then write:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{-18}^{-9} s\left(s^2-81\right)\,ds-\int_{-9}^{1}s\left(s^2-81\right)\,ds\)

Using the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=s^2-81\,\therefore\,du=2s\,ds\)

we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\left(\int_{-80}^{0} u\,du-\int_{0}^{3^5}u\,du\right)\)

Applying the FTOC, we get:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{4}\left(\left[u^2\right]_{-80}^{0}-\left[u^2\right]_{0}^{3^5}\right)\)

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{4}\left(-80^2-9^5\right)=-\frac{65449}{4}\)

Hence, we may conclude:

\(\displaystyle \bbox[10px,border:2px solid #207498]{\int_{-18}^{1} s\left|81-s^2\right|\,ds=-\frac{65449}{4}}\)

Related to Solve Definite Integral w/ Absolute Value Factor - Yahoo! Answers

1. How do I solve a definite integral with an absolute value factor?

To solve a definite integral with an absolute value factor, you will need to split the integral into two separate integrals. For example, if the integral is from a to b, you will have one integral from a to 0 and one from 0 to b. Then, you can use the properties of absolute value to simplify each integral and solve them separately.

2. What is the purpose of using an absolute value factor in a definite integral?

The absolute value factor is used to ensure that the integral is always positive, regardless of the direction of the function. This is especially useful when dealing with functions that have negative values, as it allows us to find the total area under the curve without worrying about negative values cancelling out positive values.

3. Can you give an example of solving a definite integral with an absolute value factor?

Sure, let's say we have the integral from -2 to 3 of |x| dx. We can split this integral into two separate integrals, from -2 to 0 and from 0 to 3. Then, we can use the property that |x| = x when x is positive and -x when x is negative. So, the first integral becomes -∫x dx from -2 to 0, which equals 2. The second integral becomes ∫x dx from 0 to 3, which equals 9/2. Adding these two values together, we get a final answer of 11/2.

4. Are there any other properties of absolute value that can be useful in solving definite integrals?

Yes, there are a few other properties that can be useful. One is the property that |ab| = |a||b|. This can be helpful when dealing with integrals that involve multiplying two functions together. Another useful property is that |a| = |-a|. This can be helpful when working with integrals that involve negative values.

5. Can definite integrals with absolute value factors be solved using any integration technique?

Yes, definite integrals with absolute value factors can be solved using any integration technique, such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. The key is to split the integral into two separate integrals and then use the appropriate integration technique for each integral.