Solve Exercise with Modulo: Is this Correct?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the prime factors of $(b + kp)^p$ are $(b+kp)^2, p^2, k^2, p^{2+1}, k^{2+1}, \dots, p^{2+k}, k^{2+k}$
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I have the following exercise:

If $p$ is prime, $p \nmid a$, $p \nmid b$, prove that $$a^p \equiv b^p \pmod p \Rightarrow a^p \equiv b^p \pmod {p^2}$$

My idea is the following:
$$ a^p \equiv b^p \pmod p $$
$$ a^p \equiv a \pmod p $$
$$ b^p \equiv b \pmod p $$

$$ a \equiv b \pmod p \Rightarrow a=b+kp, k \in \mathbb{Z}$$

$$ a^p=(b+kp)^p=\sum_{m=0}^{p} \binom{p}{m} (kp)^mb^{p-m}=\binom{p}{0}b^p+\binom{p}{1}(kp)b^{p-1}+ \dots + \binom{p}{p}(kp)^p= \\ b^p+kp^2b^{p-1}+ \frac{1}{2}(p-1)p^3b^{p-2}k^2+\dots + k^pp^p$$

$$ p^2 \mid kp^2b^{p-1}+ \frac{1}{2}(p-1)p^3b^{p-2}k^2+\dots + k^pp^p
\Rightarrow p^2 \mid a^p-b^p $$

Is this correct?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks correct.

Deveno said:
That looks correct.

Do we not have to prove that $$kb^{p-1}+ \frac{1}{2}(p-1)pb^{p-2}k^2+\dots + k^pp^{p-2} \in \mathbb{Z} $$?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Do we not have to prove that $$kb^{p-1}+ \frac{1}{2}(p-1)pb^{p-2}k^2+\dots + k^pp^{p-2} \in \mathbb{Z} $$?? (Wondering)

Yep. We do.
Can you? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Yep. We do.
Can you? (Wondering)

Consider that each of the binomial coefficients is of the form:
$$\binom p k = \frac{p \cdot (p-1) \cdot ... \cdot (p-k+1)}{1\cdot 2 \cdot ... \cdot k}$$
It is given that this is an integer.
So each of those factors in the denominator come back in the numerator somehow.
Can any of them contain a factor that divides $p$? (Wondering)

One can prove that:

$\displaystyle \binom{n}{k} = \binom{n-1}{k-1} + \binom{n-1}{k}$

which furnishes an easy inductive proof that for all $0 \leq k \leq n$ that $\displaystyle \binom{n}{k}$ is an integer, given:

$\displaystyle \binom{n}{0} = \binom{n}{n} = 1$, for all $n \in \Bbb Z^+$.

Then the only fact we need in the expansion of $(b + kp)^p$ is that $\displaystyle p|\binom{p}{1}$

since $p^2$ occurs in all the other terms of the expansion, no matter what the coefficient is.

1. What is the purpose of using modulo in solving exercises?

Modulo is a mathematical operation that calculates the remainder after division. It is commonly used in programming and problem-solving to determine patterns, repetitions, and divisibility. In solving exercises, modulo can help check the correctness of the solution and identify any missing elements.

2. How do I know if my solution using modulo is correct?

To check the correctness of your solution using modulo, you can compare the remainder obtained to the expected outcome. If they match, then your solution is correct. You can also test your solution with different inputs to ensure it works for all possible scenarios.

3. Can I use modulo with decimals or negative numbers?

Yes, modulo can be used with decimals and negative numbers. However, when using modulo with decimals, it is essential to consider the precision and rounding methods of the programming language or tool you are using. For negative numbers, the result of the modulo operation will also be negative.

4. Are there any limitations to using modulo in solving exercises?

One limitation of using modulo is that it only considers the remainder and not the quotient. This means that it may not give the complete solution to a problem that requires both the remainder and quotient. Additionally, in some cases, using modulo may not be the most efficient or appropriate method for solving an exercise.

5. How can I improve my understanding of using modulo in exercises?

The best way to improve your understanding of using modulo in exercises is through practice and experimentation. Try solving various exercises using modulo and compare your solutions with other methods. You can also refer to online resources and seek help from others, such as teachers or peers, to deepen your understanding of this mathematical operation.