Solve for ##n## in ##\frac{1}{(T+\frac{1}{U^{1/n}})^n} = G##

• I
  • Thread starter MevsEinstein
  • Start date
In summary, the equation ##(T+s)^n = \frac 1 G## can be solved for ##n## by taking the logarithm of both sides and isolating ##n##. However, if ##s## is dependent on ##n##, then an exact solution may not be possible and a numerical approach may be necessary.
MevsEinstein
TL;DR Summary
What the title says
I was doing some research on Space where I stumbled on this equation: ##\frac{1}{(T+s)^n} = G##. ##T## is independent and ##G## is dependent. ##s## and ##n## are constants. I found out what ##s## was (##\frac{1}{U^{1/n}}##), and so I substituted it into the equation. Now, I need to find ##n## in terms of other variables that aren't ##n##. How could I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
MevsEinstein said:
Summary: What the title says

I was doing some research on Space where I stumbled on this equation: ##\frac{1}{(T+s)^n} = G##. ##T## is independent and ##G## is dependent. ##s## and ##n## are constants. I found out what ##s## was (##\frac{1}{U^{1/n}}##), and so I substituted it into the equation. Now, I need to find ##n## in terms of other variables that aren't ##n##. How could I do this?
Your equation is equivalent to ##(T + s)^n = \frac 1 G##, assuming that ##G \ne 0##. Now take the log (in whatever base) of both sides to isolate n.

nln(T+s)=-ln(G) or n=-ln(G)/ln(T+s).

mathman said:
nln(T+s)=-ln(G) or n=-ln(G)/ln(T+s).
Pretty much what I said, except that I was going to let the OP do a little of the work.

s depends on n too, it is ##s=\frac{1}{U^{\frac{1}{n}}}## which seems to complicate things.

Likes Mark44
That won't have a nice exact solution but a numerical approach should work well.
Maybe there is some useful approximation if we know more about the values.

1. What is the purpose of solving for ##n## in this equation?

The purpose of solving for ##n## in this equation is to find the value of ##n## that makes the equation true. This value can be used to help understand the relationship between the variables T, U, and G in the equation.

2. How do I solve for ##n## in this equation?

To solve for ##n## in this equation, you can use algebraic manipulation to isolate ##n## on one side of the equation. This may involve taking the logarithm of both sides or raising both sides to a power. Once you have isolated ##n##, you can solve for its value.

3. Are there any restrictions on the values of T, U, and G in this equation?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the values of T, U, and G in this equation. T and G must be non-zero, and U must be greater than or equal to 1. Additionally, the expression inside the parentheses must be positive in order for the equation to be solvable.

4. Can this equation be solved for multiple values of ##n##?

Yes, it is possible for this equation to have multiple solutions for ##n##. This is because there may be multiple values of ##n## that make the equation true. However, there may also be cases where there is only one unique solution for ##n##.

5. Can this equation be solved using numerical methods?

Yes, this equation can be solved using numerical methods such as Newton's method or the bisection method. These methods involve using a computer or calculator to make iterative guesses at the value of ##n## until a solution is found. However, it is also possible to solve the equation analytically using algebraic techniques.