Solve for w: u=-7i-3j, v=-4i+4j, w=5u+4v

In summary: This problem is less about what equation to use, but more about 1)how two add two vectors, and 2) how to multiply a vector by a scalar.
sarabee
If u=-7i-3j and v=-4i+4j, find w=5u+4v.

2. I'm not sure which equation to use? Test is tomorrow so fast help would be great!

The Attempt at a Solution

: So my teacher gave us the answer key and it reads: -51i+j and i am not sure how to get that?? Please help![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Try plugging in the the u and v vectors into the w equation and regroup adding like terms ie the i terms and the j terms.

Thanks! Just solved & it makes perfect sense.
While I have you here, i might as well ask another question:
Find the magnitude and direction angle of v=2i-2j. Round direction angle to nearest degree.
Answer is llvll=2radical2 and theta=315deg
not sure how to get that!

jedishrfu said:
Try plugging in the the u and v vectors into the w equation and regroup adding like terms ie the i terms and the j terms.
I'm not sure how to tag you but.. I'm just going to try this

If you draw the vector on graph paper you'll see it makes a triangle with the x-axis.

so how would you determine the angle between the vector and the x-axis using trig

for the magnitude, you're familiar with the pythagorean theorem right?

jedishrfu said:
If you draw the vector on graph paper you'll see it makes a triangle with the x-axis.

so how would you determine the angle between the vector and the x-axis using trig

for the magnitude, you're familiar with the pythagorean theorem right?

so...would the point just be <2,-2> then? and i just don't understand at all how to graph a triangle given only one point

and yes i am familiar with the pythag theorem

You have a vector so place its tail at 0,0 and now you have a triangle

jedishrfu said:
You have a vector so place its tail at 0,0 and now you have a triangle
http://imgur.com/OhURuK8
So this is the triangle i have now
http://imgur.com/OhURuK8 if you can't see that image. what do i do next?

Review your notes on vectors this is a very simple problem and I've given you enough hints. You see the triangle and you must know trig, the hypotenuse length is the magnitude of the vector.

jedishrfu said:
Review your notes on vectors this is a very simple problem and I've given you enough hints. You see the triangle and you must know trig, the hypotenuse length is the magnitude of the vector.
Thanks for all your help, I have it figured out for the most part.
When i am using trig to solve for a direction angle, which one am i solving for? the one that is nearest to (0,0)? or the other one?
http://imgur.com/PwVyw6S

The angle with 0,0 are the vertex.

I noticed in your scribbling you said 2 squared + 2 squared = 16 are you sure that adds up right?

sarabee said:
2. I'm not sure which equation to use?
This problem is less about what equation to use, but more about 1)how two add two vectors, and 2) how to multiply a vector by a scalar.

If you spend your time trying to memorize equations without any understanding, you won't do well on a test.

Related to Solve for w: u=-7i-3j, v=-4i+4j, w=5u+4v

1. How do I solve for w in the given equation?

To solve for w, we need to use the given values for u and v in the equation w = 5u + 4v. Substitute the values of u and v and simplify the equation to find the value of w.

2. What are the values of u and v in the given equation?

The values of u and v are -7i-3j and -4i+4j, respectively. These values are given in the equation u = -7i-3j and v = -4i+4j.

3. Can the equation be solved without knowing the values of u and v?

No, the equation cannot be solved without knowing the values of u and v. These values are necessary in order to find the value of w.

4. How does the equation w = 5u + 4v relate to the values of u and v?

The equation w = 5u + 4v shows the relationship between the values of u and v in terms of w. It states that w is equal to 5 times the value of u plus 4 times the value of v.

5. Is the solution for w unique?

Yes, the solution for w is unique. Once we have substituted the values of u and v in the equation w = 5u + 4v, we will get a specific value for w which is the only solution for the given equation.