Solve Integration Problem - Get Help Now!

• MHB
  • Thread starter NotaMathPerson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the integral of $\frac{ds}{\sqrt{s^2-0.01}}$ and the methods of substitution that can be used to simplify it. The suggested substitutions are $s=r\sec(x)$ and $s=r\cosh(t)$, both of which aim to simplify the integrand by using trigonometric properties.
NotaMathPerson
Hello can you help solve this problem

\(\displaystyle \int_{}^{}\frac{ds}{\sqrt{s^2-0.01}}\)

I tried using method of substitution but I still could not find a good cancellation.
Please tell me what to do. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrals of that form can be generalized to
$$\int \frac{ds}{\sqrt{s^2-r^2}}$$

Using the substitution $s=r \sec\left({x}\right)$ simplifies the integrand because of the property $\sec^2\left({x}\right)-1=\tan^2\left({x}\right)$.

Trying this, what do you get?

The substitution $\displaystyle \begin{align*} s = r \cosh{(t)} \implies \mathrm{d}s = r\sinh{(t)}\,\mathrm{d}t \end{align*}$ may lead to a simpler integrand.

Related to Solve Integration Problem - Get Help Now!

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept in which the area under a curve is calculated. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, and economics.

Why do I need help with integration problems?

Integration problems can be complex and require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts. They can also involve a variety of techniques and strategies, making them challenging to solve on your own. Seeking help can provide you with a better understanding of the problem and increase your chances of finding a solution.

What are some common techniques for solving integration problems?

Some common techniques for solving integration problems include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques involve manipulating the integrand in a specific way to make it easier to solve.

What are some tips for solving integration problems?

Some tips for solving integration problems include practicing with a variety of problems, understanding the properties of integrals, and reviewing the fundamental rules of integration. It is also essential to carefully read the problem and identify any patterns or relationships that may help in finding a solution.

Where can I find additional help with integration problems?

There are many resources available for additional help with integration problems, such as online tutorials, textbooks, and study groups. You can also seek assistance from a tutor or your instructor for personalized help and guidance.