Solve the given simultaneous equations that involves hyperbolas

But, if you are thinking that ##x^2=7.2## gives us four solutions, two with plus and two with minus, then you are right. So the last line should read:##x=\pm \sqrt{7.2} = ± 2.68## to 3 significant figures.I am sorry, I meant to say:You can only get ##x^2=y^2## directly by the observation that ##(x^2,y^2)=(y^2,x^2)## for symmetry reasons, and if ##x\neq \pm y## then we would get more than four intersection points which is impossible. So ##9x^2-4y^2=
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
This is my own question- i am currently reading on ellipses and hyperbolas..

##\dfrac{x^2}{4}-\dfrac{y^2}{9}=1##

##\dfrac{y^2}{4}-\dfrac{x^2}{9}=1##
Relevant Equations
Simultaneous equations
My approach on this;

##\dfrac{x^2}{4}-\dfrac{y^2}{9}=\dfrac{y^2}{4}-\dfrac{x^2}{9}##

##9x^2-4y^2=9y^2-4x^2##

##13x^2-13y^2=0##

##x^2=y^2##

Therefore, on substituting back into equation we shall have;

##\dfrac{x^2}{4}-\dfrac{x^2}{9}=1##

##9x^2-4x^2=36##

##5x^2=36##

##x^2=7.2##

##x=\sqrt{7.2}=±2.68## to 3 significant figures.

therefore our solutions are; ##(x,y)= (2.68, 2.68), (2.68,-2.68), (-2.68, -2.68), (-2.68,2.68).##

I would appreciate any other approach other than this...

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: This is my own question- i am currently reading on ellipses and hyperbolas..

##\dfrac{x^2}{4}-\dfrac{y^2}{9}=1##

##\dfrac{y^2}{4}-\dfrac{x^2}{9}=1##
Relevant Equations:: Simultaneous equations

I would appreciate any other approach other than this...
Why? You have a nice solution.

Likes chwala
fresh_42 said:
Why? You have a nice solution.
Cheers @fresh_42 ...different ways in solving math problems has always fascinated me...other than finding the solution...I know that this forum has the smartest brains on the planet... another approach may be forthcoming ... :biggrin: :cool:...cheers mate!

I guess since ##x^2 = y^2##, not much can be done here...

Likes epenguin
However you look at it, you have to calculate the intersection points of two conic sections.

You can only get ##x^2=y^2## directly by the observation that ##(x^2,y^2)=(y^2,x^2)## for symmetry reasons, and if ##x\neq \pm y## then we would get more than four intersection points which is impossible. So ##9x^2-4x^2=5x^2=36## and thus ##x=\pm \sqrt{7.2}## follows without many calculations.

Likes chwala
Nit in the second line below:
##x^2=7.2##
##x=\sqrt{7.2}=±2.68## to 3 significant figures.
That line should start with ##x = \pm \sqrt{7.2} \dots##

If you are thinking that ##\sqrt{7.2} =± 2.68...##, that is erroneous thinking.

Likes chwala

1. What are simultaneous equations involving hyperbolas?

Simultaneous equations involving hyperbolas are a set of two equations that have two unknown variables and are in the form of hyperbolas, which are curves that resemble two symmetrical arcs facing each other.

2. How do I solve simultaneous equations involving hyperbolas?

To solve simultaneous equations involving hyperbolas, you can use the substitution method or the elimination method. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one of the variables and then solving for the other variable.

3. Can I graph simultaneous equations involving hyperbolas?

Yes, you can graph simultaneous equations involving hyperbolas. Since hyperbolas are curves, you can plot the two equations on the same graph and find the point(s) of intersection, which represent the solutions to the equations.

4. What are some real-life applications of simultaneous equations involving hyperbolas?

Simultaneous equations involving hyperbolas can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, the efficiency of a chemical reaction, or the supply and demand of a product.

5. Can simultaneous equations involving hyperbolas have more than two solutions?

Yes, simultaneous equations involving hyperbolas can have more than two solutions. Depending on the equations, there can be zero, one, two, or even infinitely many solutions. This is because hyperbolas can intersect at multiple points or not intersect at all.