Solve Trig Equation Graphically & Algebraically: Why Different Answers?

• MHB
  • Thread starter estex198
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary: How can we help you if you still can't get the right answer?I think virtually everyone here can attest to having made... at the very least... a typo in a calculation at one point or another. How can we help you if you still can't get the right answer?
estex198
Problem: Solve for t, 20 = 100 sin 2pi(50)t
note: pi = "pie"

I must be doing something wrong here. To solve algebraically, I first divide both sides by 100. Then, I get the inverse cosine of both sides, and set the angle in radians (.2013579208) equal to "2pi(50)t". Lastly I divide the derived angle by 100pi , which gives me .0063258456 for t.

When solving the equation graphically using a calculator, I get a different result for t. To solve graphically on my TI-83 Plus, I hit "y=" and enter for Y1 = 100*sin(2pi*50*X) - 20 and hit "graph". Once the graph has loaded I hit "2nd" + "calc" and choose the calculate zero function. I choose the intersection closest to x=0 to ensure the smallest positive angle, and for y=0, I get X = 6.4094E-4. This equates to 6.4094 * 10^-4, or .00064094, right? So why am I not getting the same answer for both of my solution methods?

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to MHB, estex198!

estex198 said:

I must be doing something wrong here. To solve algebraically, I first divide both sides by 100. Then, I get the inverse cosine of both sides,

Why inverse cosine? The cosine function is not the function you need to invert here. Also, have you checked whether your calculator is in radians or degrees? That will be important.

estex198 said:

I must be doing something wrong here. To solve algebraically, I first divide both sides by 100. Then, I get the inverse cosine of both sides, and set the angle in radians (.2013579208) equal to "2pi(50)t". Lastly I divide the derived angle by 100pi , which gives me .0063258456 for t.

When solving the equation graphically using a calculator, I get a different result for t. To solve graphically on my TI-83 Plus, I hit "y=" and enter for Y1 = 100*sin(2pi*50*X) - 20 and hit "graph". Once the graph has loaded I hit "2nd" + "calc" and choose the calculate zero function. I choose the intersection closest to x=0 to ensure the smallest positive angle, and for y=0, I get X = 6.4094E-4. This equates to 6.4094 * 10^-4, or .00064094, right? So why am I not getting the same answer for both of my solution methods?

Thanks in advance!

Why would you take inverse cosine if you have sine in the question?

Forgive me for the typo. I mean inverse sine function. And yes, I've checked and rechecked that my calculator is in radian mode.

estex198 said:
Forgive me for the typo. I mean inverse sine function. And yes, I've checked and rechecked that my calculator is in radian mode.

It's probably a calculator error. I'm getting what you're getting with your graphical approach. You should be evaluating:
$$t= \frac{ \arcsin(1/5)}{100 \pi},$$
right? On my calc (an HP 50g), I get $6.409 \times 10^{-4}$.

estex198 said:

I suspect (like Ackbach) it's a calculator error. Doing \(\displaystyle t = \dfrac{\arcsin(0.2)}{100\pi}\) on my calculator (a Casio fx83) I get \(\displaystyle 6.4094 \times 10^{-4} \)

It does seem to be related to the way the calculator stores intermediate calculations - If I do \(\displaystyle \arcsin(0.2)\) and save that to memory slot A and then do \(\displaystyle \frac{A}{100\pi}\) I get \(\displaystyle 6.33 \times 10^{-3}\)

Wow, that is interesting. I reset all RAM and ensured the OS was the latest version available from TI (1.19). Still getting same result. Perhaps its time to upgrade my adding machine... Thank you all for your help!

estex198 said:
Wow, that is interesting. I reset all RAM and ensured the OS was the latest version available from TI (1.19). Still getting same result. Perhaps its time to upgrade my adding machine... Thank you all for your help!

Ok... Did you finally get the right result? If not, why are you marking the thread as solved? We're more than willing to keep helping you through...

If the problem is due to a calculator error, what more is there to do? It looks as if the correct answer is 6.4094 * 10^-4. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
estex198 said:
If the problem is due to a calculator error, what more is there to do?

Well, why don't you list the exact keystrokes you're using? Maybe there's something there we could look at.

Ah. Ok. So going over the exact key strokes, it looks as if I wasnt putting 100pi in parenthesis. Looks like it was dividing 100 and then multiplying the result by pi. Sorry for wasting your time.

estex198 said:
Ah. Ok. So going over the exact key strokes, it looks as if I wasnt putting 100pi in parenthesis. Looks like it was dividing 100 and then multiplying the result by pi. Sorry for wasting your time.

I think virtually everyone here can attest to having made a similar error with a calculator in the past. :D

1. Why do trig equations have different answers when solved graphically and algebraically?

The different answers result from the different approaches used in solving the equation. Graphical solutions rely on the visual representation of the equation and finding the points where the graph intersects with the x-axis. Algebraic solutions involve manipulating the equation using trigonometric identities and solving for the variable using algebraic techniques. Different methods can yield different solutions.

2. Which method is more accurate in solving trig equations, graphical or algebraic?

Both methods can be accurate, but it depends on the equation and the precision of the graphing tools used. Graphical solutions can provide a visual representation of the solutions, but they may not be as precise as algebraic solutions, which involve solving for exact values. However, graphical solutions can also give an idea of the approximate solutions and can be useful in verifying algebraic solutions.

3. Is it possible to get no solution or infinite solutions when solving a trig equation?

Yes, it is possible to get no solution or infinite solutions when solving a trig equation. This can happen when the equation has no real solutions or when the equation simplifies to an identity, which means that any value for the variable would make the equation true. It is important to check for extraneous solutions and to ensure that the solutions found satisfy the original equation.

4. Can I use only one method to solve any trig equation?

No, it may not be possible to use only one method to solve any trig equation. Some equations may be easier to solve graphically, while others may require algebraic manipulation. It is important to be familiar with both methods and to use the one that is most appropriate for the given equation.

5. Are there any tips for solving trig equations to get the correct answer?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help in solving trig equations correctly. Firstly, it is important to carefully follow the steps of the chosen method and double-check the solutions. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of trigonometric identities and to simplify the equation as much as possible before solving. Additionally, it is important to check for extraneous solutions and to verify that the solutions satisfy the original equation.