Solved: Mass of CaCO3 to Produce 8.0L CO2 @ STP

• Thread starter UWMpanther
  • Start date
In summary, in order to determine the mass of CaCO3 needed to produce 8.0L of CO2 at STP, one must use the formula PV=nRT and solve for mass. This involves knowing the molar mass of CO2, the gas constant (0.08206 L*atm/K*mol), and the standard temperature and pressure conditions (273.15K and 1.00atm). The final answer is 36g of CaCO3 needed to produce 8.0L of CO2.
UWMpanther
[SOLVED] More help on Stoich

Homework Statement

Consider the reaction CaCO3 (s) -> CaO (s) + CO2 (g)
What mass of CaCO3 will produce 8.0L of CO2, measured at STP

I don't know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
what does STP mean? and what formula do you think you will need to use in order to relate, temperature, pressure, volume, and mass?

remember that

[tex]M=\frac{g}{mol}[/tex]

so

[tex]n=\frac{g}{M}=\frac{g}{\frac{g}{mol}}[/tex]

Last edited:
stp meaning standard temp and pressure conditions.

UWMpanther said:
stp meaning standard temp and pressure conditions.
Correct. And so we have 273.15K and 1.00atm.

From here, we need to evaluate the stoichiometric ratio between Calcium carbonate and Carbon dioxide.

Ok so the ratio would be

_g CaCO3 x 1mol/100gmol^-1 x 1mol CO2/1mol CaCO3 x 44gmol^-1/1 ?

our formula

[tex]PV=nRT[/tex]

becomes

[tex]PV=\frac{mRT}{M}[/tex]

solving for m (mass of Carbon dioxide)

[tex]m=\frac{MPV}{RT}[/tex]

plugging in our known information ... STP, Volume of Carbon dioxide and it's Molar mass.

from there, you now know the mass of Carbon dioxide and compute how much Calcium carbonate is need to produce 8.0L of Carbon dioxide.

Last edited:
Ok so its a multiple choice question. For the variable M would it be the CO2? And R is a constant if I'm not mistaken correct ( I believe .08206 L atm mol^-1)?

M = Molar mass of CO2

R = Gas constant (.08206 L*atm / K*mol)

I realized my error after I posted it. Thank you very much for the help!

Ok so then it is:

m= (100g mol CO2 x 1atm x 8L)/(273.15 x 0.08206 Latm/Kmol)

where did 100g mol CO2 come from?

Molar mass of CO2 is 44.01g/mol CO2

Ok here's how I solved for it:

m CO2 = (molar mass of CaCO3 x P x V)/(R x T)

after I entered the unkown's I get the answer 36g

Related to Solved: Mass of CaCO3 to Produce 8.0L CO2 @ STP

What is the formula for calcium carbonate (CaCO3)?

The formula for calcium carbonate is CaCO3, which consists of one atom of calcium, one atom of carbon, and three atoms of oxygen.

What is the molar mass of calcium carbonate?

The molar mass of calcium carbonate is 100.09 g/mol. This can be calculated by adding the atomic masses of calcium (40.08 g/mol), carbon (12.01 g/mol), and three oxygen atoms (3 x 16.00 g/mol = 48.00 g/mol).

How do you calculate the mass of calcium carbonate needed to produce 8.0L of carbon dioxide (CO2) at standard temperature and pressure (STP)?

To calculate the mass of calcium carbonate needed, you can use the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P is the pressure (1 atm at STP), V is the volume (8.0 L), n is the number of moles of CO2 (which is equal to the number of moles of CaCO3 used), R is the ideal gas constant (0.0821 L·atm/mol·K), and T is the temperature (273 K at STP). Solving for n, we get n = PV/RT = (1 atm x 8.0 L)/(0.0821 L·atm/mol·K x 273 K) = 0.033 mol. The mass of CaCO3 needed can then be calculated by multiplying the number of moles by the molar mass, giving us a mass of 3.30 g of CaCO3.

What is the percent yield of this reaction?

The percent yield of this reaction is dependent on the actual amount of CO2 produced compared to the theoretical amount calculated using the stoichiometry of the reaction. The theoretical yield can be calculated by assuming that all of the CaCO3 is consumed and 1 mole of CaCO3 produces 1 mole of CO2. Thus, the theoretical yield in this case would be 0.033 mol CO2. If the actual yield is also 0.033 mol, then the percent yield would be 100%. However, if the actual yield is less than 0.033 mol, the percent yield would be lower than 100%.

What are the conditions for standard temperature and pressure (STP)?

The conditions for STP are a temperature of 273 K (0 °C or 32 °F) and a pressure of 1 atmosphere (atm). This is the standard set by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) for comparing and reporting experimental results.