Solving a Coal Blending Problem with LP

• MHB
  • Thread starter Wilmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coal
In summary, the problem requires determining the optimal blend of coal with certain phosphorus and ash content, given three different grades of coal with corresponding prices. This can be modeled as a linear programming problem with objective Z = 80a + 60b + 90c, where a, b, and c represent the amount of each grade of coal in the blend. The constraints 3a + 5b + 8c ≤ 4, 3a +14b + 8c ≤ 5, and a + b + c ≤ 1 represent the limits for phosphorus, ash, and the total amount of coal, respectively. Solving the system of equations can determine the optimal blend.
Wilmer
Can someone explain what is being asked in this problem. I find it quite confusing.
Particularly equation [3]. Thank you.
A firm selling cooking coal to power stations, requires to formulate a blend of
coal with a phosphorus content of at most 0.04% and ash impurity of at most 5%.
Three different grades of coal are available to blend; the phosphorus and ash
content and the price of each grade are given in the table below:
Code:
    Grade %Phosphorus %Ash  $/Tonne 
a     1      0.03       3     80 
b     2      0.05      14     60 
c     3      0.08       8     90
Question: Show that the problem of determining the optimal blend can be modeled
by the following Linear Programming problem.
Find a, b, c to minimize Z = 80a + 60b + 90c subject to:

3a + 5b + 8c ≤ 4 [1]
3a +14b + 8c ≤ 5 [2]
a + b + c ≤ 1 [3]

Non-negativity constraint = a, b, c ≥ 0.

Take care in your answer to define the decision variables and to explain briefly
how the objective funtions and the constraints are derived

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Wilmer said:
Can someone explain what is being asked in this problem. I find it quite confusing.
Particularly equation [3]. Thank you.
A firm selling cooking coal to power stations, requires to formulate a blend of
coal with a phosphorus content of at most 0.04% and ash impurity of at most 5%.
Three different grades of coal are available to blend; the phosphorus and ash
content and the price of each grade are given in the table below:
Code:
    Grade %Phosphorus %Ash  $/Tonne 
a     1      0.03       3     80 
b     2      0.05      14     60 
c     3      0.08       8     90
Question: Show that the problem of determining the optimal blend can be modeled
by the following Linear Programming problem.
Find a, b, c to minimize Z = 80a + 60b + 90c subject to:

3a + 5b + 8c ≤ 4 [1]
3a +14b + 8c ≤ 5 [2]
a + b + c ≤ 1 [3]

Non-negativity constraint = a, b, c ≥ 0.

Take care in your answer to define the decision variables and to explain briefly
how the objective funtions and the constraints are derived

This is a linear programming problem, where 1 ton of product consists a, b, c tons of each available grade of coal.

Then the objective Z=80a + 60b + 90c is the cost of 1 ton of the blend, which is what you want to minimise.

Constraint [1] is the phosphorous content constraint (multiplied by 100)
Constraint [2] the ash constraint (again multiplied by 100)

Now constraint [3] is the interesting one, the actual constraint is that a+b+c=1 which is the requirement that we are blending 1 ton of coal. I imagine it is written as an inequality to conform to the linear programming paradigm. If this constraint is not active/tight in the solution to the LP problem as formulated then you will not have a viable solution.

CB

CaptainBlack said:
Constraint [2] the ash constraint (again multiplied by 100)
Thank you very much.
Isn't constraint[2] already multiplied by 100?

And it is evident that the major component will be grade 1, right?

Wilmer said:
Thank you very much.
Isn't constraint[2] already multiplied by 100?

And it is evident that the major component will be grade 1, right?

Yes and yes.

CB

IF the equations are set to equal the limits, then:
3a + 5b + 8c = 4 [1]
3a +14b + 8c = 5 [2]
1a + 1b + 1c = 1 [3]

System easily solved; a = 57/72, b = 8/72, c = 7/72

Phosphorus:
57 @ 3
8 @ 5
7 @ 8
------
72 @ 267/72 (~3.708333) ; must be at most 4, so ok

Ash:
57 @ 3
8 @ 14
7 @ 8
-------
72 @ 339/72 (~4.708333) ; must be at most 5, so ok

Now, this is where I'm confused; how to apply above to 1 ton.
Am I missing something evident? Thank you.

Wilmer said:
IF the equations are set to equal the limits, then:
3a + 5b + 8c = 4 [1]
3a +14b + 8c = 5 [2]
1a + 1b + 1c = 1 [3]

System easily solved; a = 57/72, b = 8/72, c = 7/72

Phosphorus:
57 @ 3
8 @ 5
7 @ 8
------
72 @ 267/72 (~3.708333) ; must be at most 4, so ok

Ash:
57 @ 3
8 @ 14
7 @ 8
-------
72 @ 339/72 (~4.708333) ; must be at most 5, so ok

Now, this is where I'm confused; how to apply above to 1 ton.
Am I missing something evident? Thank you.

Yes you are, you can't solve assuming equality for the constraints, because you then have no degrees of freedon left to do the optimisation. In a LP not all the constraints need be tight at the optimum, but in this case we do require the third one to be tight. Now it maybe that all the constraints are tight at the optimum, but that would be unusual, one or both of the first two constraints may not be tight (as I said befor the third is a problem, if it is not tight at the optimum of the problem as expressed then you do not have a solution to the real problem).

The natural way to solve this is to use the equality constraint to eliminate one of the variables which will leave you with a LP in two decision variables. The way it is expressed I believe is wrong and either the trick of elliminating one variable needs to be used, or some other trick for dealing with equality constraints is need, or luck so that the third constraint is tight in the solution of the problem as expressed.

Plan A should be to check for typos in either the question as given to you or in your transcription of the problem.

CB

Last edited:
I hear you...thanks!

Well, I "brute-strengthed" it in terms of 1000 tons:

a = 819, b = 181, c = 0, cost = 76380, phosphorus = 3.362, ash = 4.991

Pretty well as expected, simply by eyeballing the problem...

Wilmer said:
I hear you...thanks!

Well, I "brute-strengthed" it in terms of 1000 tons:

a = 819, b = 181, c = 0, cost = 76380, phosphorus = 3.362, ash = 4.991

Pretty well as expected, simply by eyeballing the problem...

Try a=9/11 and b=2/11.

I have to ask why are you attempting a LP problem when you apparently have not seen one before?

CB

Last edited:
CaptainBlack said:
Try a=9/11 and b=2/11.
I have to ask why are you attempting a LP problem when you apparently have not seen one before?
I was aware of that one: simply force a and b to combine for ash = 5;
3a + 14(1 - a) = 5; a = 9/11, so b = 2/11.
Cost 76.36 instead of the 76.38 I got using 1000 instead of 1.
It was the "eyeball" one I was referring to...

I have kinda "seen them before", but not as confusing as this one.
As to your "why?": trying to learn! Thanks.

Wilmer said:
I was aware of that one: simply force a and b to combine for ash = 5;
3a + 14(1 - a) = 5; a = 9/11, so b = 2/11.
Cost 76.36 instead of the 76.38 I got using 1000 instead of 1.
It was the "eyeball" one I was referring to...

I have kinda "seen them before", but not as confusing as this one.
As to your "why?": trying to learn! Thanks.

I hate to reply with yet another question, but the problem you posted has what appears to be a mistake or at least a peculiarity (that the sum of the proportions is less than or equal to 1 rather than equal to one). Is that question exactly as asked, and where was it asked?

CB

CaptainBlack said:
I hate to reply with yet another question, but the problem you posted has what appears to be a mistake or at least a peculiarity (that the sum of the proportions is less than or equal to 1 rather than equal to one). Is that question exactly as asked, and where was it asked?
Don't be shy!
If you look at my initial post again, you will see my reference to what you're saying:

"Particularly equation [3]
a + b + c ≤ 1 [3] "

And what I posted is a "copy-paste" of the original problem; so exactly same.

1. What is LP and how can it be used to solve a coal blending problem?

LP stands for Linear Programming, which is a mathematical technique used to optimize a given objective function, subject to a set of linear constraints. In the context of a coal blending problem, LP can be used to determine the optimal combination of different types of coal to be blended together in order to achieve a desired quality and minimize costs.

2. What are the key variables and constraints involved in a coal blending problem?

The key variables in a coal blending problem include the different types of coal available, their prices, and their respective quality parameters such as calorific value, ash content, and sulfur content. The constraints typically involve the desired quality targets, blending ratios, and cost limitations.

3. What are the benefits of using LP to solve a coal blending problem?

By using LP, a coal blending problem can be solved quickly and efficiently, taking into account all the relevant factors and constraints. This can result in cost savings, improved efficiency, and better decision-making in the coal blending process. LP also allows for sensitivity analysis, which can help in understanding the impact of changes in variables on the overall solution.

4. How does LP compare to other optimization techniques in solving a coal blending problem?

Compared to other techniques such as Integer Programming or Genetic Algorithms, LP is relatively simpler and faster to implement. It also provides a deterministic solution, meaning that the same input parameters will always result in the same optimal solution. However, depending on the complexity of the problem, other techniques may be more suitable.

5. What are some limitations or challenges in using LP to solve a coal blending problem?

LP assumes a linear relationship between the variables and the objective function, which may not always hold true in real-world scenarios. This could lead to suboptimal solutions or infeasible solutions. In addition, LP may not be able to account for all the nuances and complexities of a coal blending problem, and may require expert knowledge and fine-tuning to obtain a practical solution.