Solving a Combinations Problem: 15 or 21?

• Thread starter christian0710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combinations
In summary: Interesting. Does that mean that in combinations mathematics, you can never use the same 2 letters? Or at least acording to the formulae i use? Ahh so the logic is that you don't have 2 of the same letters in a group of letters, or course :) Thank you for the hint.Interesting. Does that mean that in combinations mathematics, you can never use the same 2 letters? Or at least acording to the the formulae i use? Ahh so the logic is that you don't have 2 of the same letters in a group of letters, or course :) Thank you for the hint.
christian0710

Homework Statement

Hi So the problem in combinations is the following: In how many ways can you choose 2 letters from the following 6 letters (A,B,C,D,E,F)

This is a question in combinations so I know the order does not matter, so AB is the same as BA.
I use the equation (n,r) = n!/((n-r)!*r!) = 15 (See my drawing)

The problem is this: If i draw out the possible combinations and add them together i get 21!

What is the correct answer 15 or 21, and why?

Attachments

• IMG_2658.jpg
    IMG_2658.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
You can not choose the same letter twice or can you?

ehild

Interesting. Does that mean that in combinations mathematics, you can never use the same 2 letters? Or at least acording the the formulae i use? Ahh so the logic is that you don't have 2 of the same letters in a group of letters, or course :)
Thank you for the hint.

christian0710 said:
Interesting. Does that mean that in combinations mathematics, you can never use the same 2 letters? Or at least acording the the formulae i use? Ahh so the logic is that you don't have 2 of the same letters in a group of letters, or course :)
Thank you for the hint.

It means you have to pay attention to the problem statement. Some problems using letters will allow letters to be used more than once, some will not. Problems that draw marbles out of a bag will generally imply that you can't put a marble back after you've used it. And so forth. The problem statement should be clear but in the absence of such clarity it's best to assume things can only be used once. With marbles, that's pretty clear, with letters not so much.

If you can choose the same letter again, it is "combination with repetition". The number of possibilities are equal to (n+r-1)/(r! (n-1-r)!). If n=6 and r=2, it is 21.

ehild

Related to Solving a Combinations Problem: 15 or 21?

What is a combinations problem?

A combinations problem is a type of mathematical problem where the number of ways to choose a certain number of items from a larger set is calculated. This type of problem often involves determining the number of possible combinations without repetition.

What is the difference between 15 and 21 in a combinations problem?

The numbers 15 and 21 in a combinations problem refer to the number of items or choices in a set. For example, if there are 15 different options to choose from, the combinations problem would involve determining the number of ways to choose a certain number of those options. Similarly, if there are 21 options, the problem would involve calculating the number of ways to choose from that set.

How do you solve a combinations problem with 15 or 21 options?

To solve a combinations problem with 15 or 21 options, you can use the formula nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being chosen. Simply plug in the values of n and r and solve the equation to find the total number of possible combinations.

What are some real-life applications of combinations problems?

Combinations problems have many real-life applications, such as in genetics to determine the possible outcomes of genetic combinations, in lottery games to calculate the odds of winning, and in sports to determine the number of possible outcomes in a tournament or playoff series.

What are some tips for solving combinations problems?

Some tips for solving combinations problems include carefully reading and understanding the problem, using the appropriate formula or approach, and checking your work for accuracy. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and to practice with simpler examples before tackling more complex problems.