Solving a Confusing Word Problem: Measuring Justice After Court

In summary, the conversation discusses a survey conducted before and after a court case involving Médecins Sans Frontières and the aggressive tactics they were accused of. The data suggests that there may be a higher percentage of customers who were against the organization after the court case. The next step would be to formulate the zero and alternative hypotheses in order to conduct a proper hypothesis test.
elove
I have a word problem to solve and am thoroughly confused. any input would be great...

My younger brother had a run in earlier with Médecins Sans Frontières. He narrowly escaped from an adverse verdict by the court... What he wants is that he be left alone to run his small café...
He asked my oldest brother if he can conduct a survey for him about justice in the Kangaroo Court. Oooops, I mean the Canadian Court...
An initial survey was performed right after Médecins Sans Frontières accused my brother of wrong doing. Of 1852 customers, 53 were against the aggressive tactics of Médecins Sans Frontières. After my brother was cleared by the court, a follow-up survey was performed. Of 4699 customers, 1751 said they did not agree with the aggressive tactics of Médecins Sans Frontières.

At the 1% significance level, do the data suggest that a higher percentage of customers were against Médecins Sans Frontières after the court case?

View attachment 5559

Before court FOR Observed (O) = 1799
Before court FOR Expected (E) = 1342.7
Before court AGAINST O = 53
Before court AGAINST E = 509.3

After court FOR O = 2949
After court FOR E = 3406.775
After court AGAINST O = 1751
After court AGAINST E = 1292.225

View attachment 5560

DF = (r-1) (c-1) = 1
(1342.7 - 1799)2 / 1342.7 + (509.3 - 53)2 / 509.3 + (3406.775 - 2948)2 / 3406.775 + (1292.225 - 1751)2 / 1292.225 =
155.068 + 408.815 + 61.781 + 162.877 = 788.541am I even on the right track? where do i go from here?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 5.24.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 5.24.01 PM.png
    6 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 5.25.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 5.25.13 PM.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 50
Mathematics news on Phys.org
First step in hypothesis testing is to formulate the zero hypothesis $H_0$ and the alternative hypothesis. Once you have defined those I can further explain the core principle of the test and how to formulate a conclusion.

1. What is the definition of a confusing word problem?

A confusing word problem is a mathematical or analytical problem that uses language that is unclear or difficult to understand. This can make it challenging for the reader to accurately determine what information is being asked for and what steps need to be taken to solve the problem.

2. How can I approach solving a confusing word problem?

The first step in solving a confusing word problem is to carefully read the problem multiple times to fully understand the language and what is being asked. Then, break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and identify the key information and variables needed to solve it. Use diagrams, charts, or other visual aids to help organize the information and steps needed for the solution.

3. What are some strategies for measuring justice after court?

Measuring justice after court can be a complex and multifaceted process. Some strategies that may be used include collecting data on the number of cases that are brought to court and how they are resolved, conducting surveys or interviews with those involved in the court process, and analyzing the impact of court decisions on the larger community or society. Other factors that may be considered include the fairness and effectiveness of the court system, the satisfaction of those involved in the court process, and the overall outcomes of the cases.

4. How can I determine if a word problem is asking about justice after court?

To determine if a word problem is asking about justice after court, it is important to carefully read the problem and look for key words or phrases that may indicate this topic. These could include words related to the court system, justice, fairness, or legal processes. Additionally, consider the context of the problem and what information is being presented – if it involves a legal case or the resolution of a conflict, it may be related to justice after court.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a confusing word problem about justice after court?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a confusing word problem about justice after court include misreading or misinterpreting the information given, overlooking important details or variables, and making incorrect assumptions. It is also important to double check calculations and solutions to ensure accuracy. It can be helpful to have someone else review your work and provide feedback to catch any errors or misunderstandings.