Solving a Financial Problem: Calculating Withdrawals, Interest & Remaining Funds

In summary, the conversation discusses a financial question on an old test paper regarding a initial amount of $450,000 with a 4.8% interest rate per month and a monthly withdrawal of $3600. The questions asked are the remaining amount after ten years, time to exhaust the account, total withdrawals, and total interest earned. The formula for calculating total interest is mentioned and the importance of converting time interval from years to months is highlighted. Additional clarification is needed on whether the withdrawal is made before or after interest is calculated.
SugerQueen

Homework Statement

initial amount = $450 000
interest rate = 4.8% per month
withdrawal = $3600 per month

This is a question on an old test paper. It is calculator assumed.
We use Casio classpad calculators.
a) amount remaining after ten years?
$173462.47
b)time to exhaust account?
14.5 years
c) total withdrawals?
d) total interest earned?
This is where I am stuck. Up until now I have managed to do everything on the financial application, but here I run out of ideas...
I also have not managed to come up with a working sequence. My guess would be:
An+1 = An x 1.048 - 3600
Ao = 450 000

But that did not appear to work as everything is calculated monthly... any help would be fantastic thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming we're talking about simple interest,

[itex]Total~Interest = Principal \times Interest~Rate \times Time [/itex]

Where time has to be in the same interval as the interest rate. You just need to convert your time interval from years to months. Then for a final equation, multiply the monthly withdrawal by the number of withdrawals and subtract it from the total interest.

I would imagine that whether the withdrawal is made before or after the interest is calculated makes a big difference. Is it stated explicitly?

initial amount = $450 000
interest rate = 4.8% per month
withdrawal = $3600 per month

4.8% per month interest. Do you mean 4.8% per year? 4.8% per month adds 21.6K bucks a month to the account. I need an IRA that does that!

1. How do I calculate the amount of money I can withdraw from my account?

To calculate the amount of money you can withdraw, you need to know your account balance, any fees associated with withdrawals, and any restrictions on your account. Subtract any fees and restrictions from your account balance to determine the maximum amount you can withdraw.

2. What is the formula for calculating interest on my savings?

The formula for calculating interest on savings is: Interest = Principal (initial amount) x Interest Rate x Time (in years). This formula assumes that the interest is compounded annually. If the interest is compounded more frequently, the formula will vary.

3. How can I determine the remaining funds in my account after a withdrawal?

To determine the remaining funds in your account after a withdrawal, subtract the amount of the withdrawal from your current account balance. If you have made multiple withdrawals, subtract each withdrawal amount from the remaining balance to get the final amount.

4. How do I factor in compound interest when calculating my savings?

To factor in compound interest, you will need to know the interest rate and the compounding period (e.g. annually, semi-annually, monthly). Then, use the formula: A = P(1 + r/n)^nt, where A is the final amount, P is the principal amount, r is the annual interest rate, n is the number of compounding periods per year, and t is the number of years.

5. What are some common financial problems that can be solved by calculating withdrawals, interest, and remaining funds?

Some common financial problems that can be solved by these calculations include budgeting for expenses, determining the best savings plan, and managing debt. These calculations can also help individuals plan for retirement and make informed decisions about investments.