Solving a Trigonometry Question: Rate of Change from pi to 11pi/6

In summary, the rate of change of f from pi to 11pi/6 is the gradient, which can be found by subtracting the top part of the fraction from pi (y1-y0) and the bottom part from 11pi/6 (x1-x0). The part where 11pi/6 - pi = 5pi/6 is simply an application of adding and subtracting fractions.
macdreboi
Hey guys I am new in this forum so if i posted this question in the wrong section, please notify me. Anyway.
My concern here is this.

So I am trying to find the RATE OF CHANGE of f from pi to 11pi/6

f(x)= tan x

I have attached the part i need help on.
Note: This is very simple but there is one step which i don't understand.

The part where 11pi/6 - pi = 5pi/6 <----- How is this? Please explain...
thanks in advance.

Attachments

• trig hw.jpg
    trig hw.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you know how to add and subtract fractions?

the question is as good as asking you to find the gradient,

so the '11pi/6 - pi = 5pi/6' part is the x value of the gradient.,

similarly, the y value of the gradient is the top part as shown in your question

gradient is

y1 - y0
--------
x1 - x0

macdreboi said:
Hey guys I am new in this forum so if i posted this question in the wrong section, please notify me. Anyway.
My concern here is this.

So I am trying to find the RATE OF CHANGE of f from pi to 11pi/6

f(x)= tan x

I have attached the part i need help on.
Note: This is very simple but there is one step which i don't understand.

The part where 11pi/6 - pi = 5pi/6 <----- How is this? Please explain...
thanks in advance.
11pi/6- pi= pi(11/6- 1)= pi(11/6- 6/6).

Related to Solving a Trigonometry Question: Rate of Change from pi to 11pi/6

1. What is the formula for calculating the rate of change in a trigonometry question?

The formula for calculating the rate of change in a trigonometry question is (final angle - initial angle) / (final time - initial time). In this case, the final angle is 11pi/6 and the initial angle is pi, so the rate of change would be (11pi/6 - pi) / (11pi/6 - pi) = 5pi/6.

2. How do I determine the initial and final angles in a trigonometry question?

The initial angle is the starting point of the angle measurement, often denoted by "theta" (θ), while the final angle is the end point of the angle measurement. In this particular question, the initial angle is pi and the final angle is 11pi/6.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating the rate of change in any trigonometry question?

Yes, you can use the same formula for calculating the rate of change in any trigonometry question, as long as you have the initial and final angles and times. This formula is commonly used in physics and other scientific fields.

4. What is the significance of the rate of change in a trigonometry question?

The rate of change in a trigonometry question tells us how quickly the angle is changing over a specific time interval. This can be useful in understanding the motion or behavior of a system described by trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any other methods for determining the rate of change in a trigonometry question?

Yes, there are other methods for determining the rate of change in a trigonometry question, such as using derivatives or graphing the function and finding the slope of the tangent line. However, the formula (final angle - initial angle) / (final time - initial time) is the most common and straightforward method.