Solving Complex Trajectory Puzzle: Find m's Path Equation

In summary: The velocity in the radial direction is the vector sum of C and Ve at an angle theta.The velocity in the tangential direction is the vector sum of C and Ve at an angle theta.The vectors r-dot and theta-dot represent the distance and angle between the mass and the center of the mass,respectively.
brupenney
Can anyone solve this puzzle for me - a mass m in space with a constant velocity C heads toward a circular mass M such that if not disturbed it would pass by M at a distance of 2 of M's radiuses. However, the mass m experiences a second velocity Ve towards the center of M; the magnitude of this V is given by k(d^-1/2) where d is the radial distance to M's center. m starts its journey at infinity and ends up overright the center of M. What is the equation of m's path?

I'm not sure whether or not this is clear. A diagram would be needed ideally.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you derive a differential equation or two? (I did. Looked a bit better in polar than in Cartesian, but still rather nasty.) Btw, is the undeviated miss by two radii from the centre or from the surface? And what is "overright"?

From the center. I cannot get anywhere with this problem

By overright I mean at an angle from the deviated path or undeviated path to the center of M is such that their separation is the smallest it can be.

Taking the centre of M as the origin in polar co-ordinates, and θ=0 being the undeviated direction:
- what is the velocity when at (r, θ)
- what does that give you for [itex]\dot{r}[/itex] and [itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex]

If I understand your question, the velocity at (r,theta) is the vector sum of C and Ve at an angle theta.

I know some calculus, integral and differential, but I just can't figure how to approach this problem, and I may not have enough knowledge to solve it even then.

brupenney said:
If I understand your question, the velocity at (r,theta) is the vector sum of C and Ve at an angle theta.
OK, so what is the velocity in the radial direction? In the tangential direction? How do these relate to r-dot and theta-dot?

Related to Solving Complex Trajectory Puzzle: Find m's Path Equation

1. What is a "complex trajectory puzzle"?

A complex trajectory puzzle is a type of puzzle that involves finding the path or trajectory of a moving object, given certain constraints and conditions. It often requires the use of mathematical equations and problem-solving skills to determine the correct solution.

2. What is the purpose of solving a complex trajectory puzzle?

Solving a complex trajectory puzzle can help us understand the principles of motion and mechanics. It also allows us to predict the path of a moving object and make accurate calculations for real-world scenarios, such as in physics or engineering.

3. How do I approach solving a complex trajectory puzzle?

First, you need to carefully read and understand the given conditions and constraints. Then, use mathematical equations and principles such as kinematics, vectors, and calculus to determine the path equation. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to better understand the problem.

4. What are some common challenges when solving a complex trajectory puzzle?

Some common challenges when solving a complex trajectory puzzle include identifying and applying the correct equations, dealing with multiple variables and constraints, and ensuring the accuracy of calculations. It may also require trial and error or breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. Can complex trajectory puzzles have real-world applications?

Yes, complex trajectory puzzles have real-world applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and video game design. They can be used to predict the path of a projectile, model the motion of a satellite, or create realistic animations and simulations.