Solving for the dependant variable in sinusoidal functions .

In summary, the given equation is h=1.55cos[360/12(t-10.75)]+2.7. To solve for h=3.2, we can subtract 2.7 from both sides to get .5=1.55cos[360/12(t-10.75)]. Then, dividing both sides by 1.55 gives us 0.3226=cos[360/12(t-10.75)]. To solve for the angle, we can use the inverse function of cosine, cos^{-1}(x), to get cos^{-1}(0.3226)=360/12(t-10.75). From here, we need to clarify if the angle is in degrees
hannahsiao
I have a word problem with the equation being:

h=1.55cos[360/12(t-10.75)]+2.7

Then it says let h=3.2, how do I solve this?! All I can do is take away the 2.7 and put it on the other side, but then what?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, setting h= 3.2 and subtracting 2.7 from both sides give
.5= 1.55 cos(360/12(t- 10.75))

Now, divide both sides by 1.55 to get
0.3226= cos(360/12(t- 10.75))

You could probably see that for yourself. Now, to get rid of any function on one side of an equation, use its "inverse" function. For cosine, that is the "arccosine" or [itex]cos^{-1}(x)[/itex] (NOT reciprocal!)

cos^{-1}(.3226)= 360/12(t- 10.75)

Now, I have some questions my self. Is that "angle" in degrees or radians? Normally in equations involving sine or cosine, it is radians but that "360" makes me wonder. Also is that (t- 10.75) in the denominator of numerator? Is it
[tex]\frac{360}{12(t- 10.75)}[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{360}{12}(t- 10.75)[/tex]?

(In either case 360/12= 30.)

Finally, are you looking for a single solution, solutions in a given range, or all solutions?
Cosine is periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex] (or 360 degrees) so adding any multiple of [itex]2\pi[/itex] gives another solution. Also [itex]cos(2\pi- x)= cos(x)[/itex] so we have two solutions within each [itex]2\pi[/tex] interval.

(t-10.75) is the second option beside 360/12 or 30.

so no 71(rounded)=[30(t-10.75)]
do i now divide by 30 ? and then add 10.75 to find t?

hannahsiao said:
so no 71(rounded)=[30(t-10.75)]
do i now divide by 30 ? and then add 10.75 to find t?
IF the argument lf cosine is in degrees and IF your angle is between 0 and 90 degrees, then yes.

Related to Solving for the dependant variable in sinusoidal functions .

What is the purpose of solving for the dependent variable in sinusoidal functions?

The purpose of solving for the dependent variable in sinusoidal functions is to determine the value of the dependent variable at a given point in the function. This allows for the graphing and analysis of the function, and can also be used to predict future values of the dependent variable.

What is the process for solving for the dependent variable in sinusoidal functions?

The process for solving for the dependent variable in sinusoidal functions involves using known values of the independent variable, and plugging them into the function to find the corresponding values of the dependent variable. This can be done using a calculator or by hand using trigonometric identities.

What are some common techniques used to solve for the dependent variable in sinusoidal functions?

Some common techniques used to solve for the dependent variable in sinusoidal functions include using the sine, cosine, and tangent functions, as well as using the unit circle and trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of algebraic equations and solving for unknown variables.

How do you know if you have solved for the dependent variable correctly in a sinusoidal function?

You can check if you have solved for the dependent variable correctly by plugging your solution back into the original function and making sure it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can graph the function and see if your solution aligns with the graph.

What are some real-life applications of solving for the dependent variable in sinusoidal functions?

Solving for the dependent variable in sinusoidal functions can be used in many real-life applications, such as predicting the tides, analyzing weather patterns, and understanding the motion of waves and vibrations. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to model and predict various phenomena.