Solving Friction & Heat Generated: Analytical Modeling

In summary, there are two possible models for solving for friction and heat generated due to friction: a sliding contact model and a rotating cylinder model. The force due to friction is equal to the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force. The heat transferred is equal to the specific heat capacity at constant pressure multiplied by the difference in temperature. Some suggested tools for solving and simulating this problem are MATLAB, COMSOL, Ansys CFX, and Ansys Mechanical. The surfaces in this problem are arbitrarily selected as steel without any lubricating material. One possible method for calculating heat is using the work done by the friction force, but this may be complicated by the introduction of fluids. Another approach is to integrate the surface frictional shear stress and
alpha754293
What is the best way to solve for friction, and in particular, heat generated due to friction (Qfric), analytically?

The first presumption is that is a sliding contact (the domain can be either 2D or 3D, it doesn't really matter yet at this point).

One model is to have two rectangles sliding along each other, and to be able to test for feasibility for calculating friction.

The other is two cylinders (or circles) rotating in same and opposite directions, but at different angular velocities.

I haven't been able to find the correlation or a way to calculate Qfric easily or readily.

Based on physics, force due to friction = coeff. of friction * normal force.

Ff = uN

Based on thermodynamics, heat (transferred) = specific heat capacity at constant pressure (Cp) * (T_high - T_low).

Q = Cp * delta(T)

Any ideas or suggestions?

I have access to the following tools to help me try and solve (and eventually simulate) this piece of the problem:

MATLAB
COMSOL
Ansys CFX
Ansys Mechanical

Other things that might be important to note: I don't have experimental data that I am trying to simulate (yet) therefore; the materials are arbitrarily selected as steel (for both surfaces). I don't know the coefficient of friction (yet) but I can probably look that up.

The surfaces do not have any type of lubricating material (i.e. dry surface on dry surface) because analytically, the introduction of any fluid (I think) makes it harder to solve.

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way to figure out the heat is from the work done -- force X distance. The force is the mu*N friction force, and the distance depends on the geometry, etc.

berkeman said:
The easiest way to figure out the heat is from the work done -- force X distance. The force is the mu*N friction force, and the distance depends on the geometry, etc.

But see, the only way that I (currently) know how to solve for work from a thermo/fluids standpoint, is the integral of pressure with respect to change in volume.

In a 2D case, there is no dV.

And that the only way that I can think of relating it back to thermo with regards to heat is by the first law of thermodynamics:

q - w = (change in enthalpy) + (change in kinetic energy) + (change in potential energy)

I may be missing something, but how about building it around integrating the surface frictional shear stress & the related relative slip path (pretty much like above but the way many contact modeling software work on it) over the domain of interest/the whole contact surface?

PerennialII said:
I may be missing something, but how about building it around integrating the surface frictional shear stress & the related relative slip path (pretty much like above but the way many contact modeling software work on it) over the domain of interest/the whole contact surface?

So, would that be:

closed surface integral (friction shear stress) dA

where ds is the relative slip path f(x,y)? (which translates to dx dy)

So, would that give me friction force, or frictional work? And how would I relate that back to heat?

Q - W = 0 change in enthalpy + 0 change in KE + 0 change in PE?

I was thinking of expressing the rate of frictional energy dissipation as

[tex]
P_{friction}= \tau \cdot \dot{\gamma}
[/tex]

(shear stress * slip rate)

And the amount of energy released on a surface under contact would then be

[tex]
q=\eta f P_{friction}
[/tex]

where f would specify how much of the heat goes to either side of the contact (0.5 if nothing else known) and [itex]\eta[/itex] is a factor specifying how much of the dissipated energy turns out as heat (so 1 if nothing else known).

It's essentially a typical gap heat generation model which is used for example when solving related coupled problems numerically.

PerennialII said:
I was thinking of expressing the rate of frictional energy dissipation as

[tex]
P_{friction}= \tau \cdot \dot{\gamma}
[/tex]

(shear stress * slip rate)

And the amount of energy released on a surface under contact would then be

[tex]
q=\eta f P_{friction}
[/tex]

where f would specify how much of the heat goes to either side of the contact (0.5 if nothing else known) and [itex]\eta[/itex] is a factor specifying how much of the dissipated energy turns out as heat (so 1 if nothing else known).

It's essentially a typical gap heat generation model which is used for example when solving related coupled problems numerically.

Hmm...that's very interesting. I've never seen that equation before. I will have to sit and ponder on it for a bit. Thank you!

You could calculate the energy that is lost to friction. This is simply [tex]E_{friction} = N\mu \Delta x[/tex]. This is essentially what berkeman was saying. Some portion of this energy is transferred into sound and EM waves, although I don't know how significant this portion is. If your not in a vacuum, then some of the heat would be transferred to air.

What is friction and how does it affect heat generation?

Friction is the force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. When two surfaces rub against each other, heat is generated due to the conversion of mechanical energy into thermal energy. This heat can have significant effects on the performance and durability of mechanical systems.

What factors affect friction and heat generation?

The amount of friction and heat generated depends on factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the speed of relative motion, the applied force, and the lubrication between the surfaces. The roughness, hardness, and temperature of the surfaces also play a role.

How can analytical modeling be used to solve friction and heat generation problems?

Analytical modeling is a mathematical approach that uses equations and formulas to understand and predict the behavior of systems. In the case of friction and heat generation, analytical modeling can be used to calculate the amount of friction and heat generated based on the variables mentioned earlier. This can help in designing more efficient and durable systems.

What are the limitations of analytical modeling in solving friction and heat generation?

Analytical modeling assumes ideal conditions and does not account for all the variables and complexities of real-world systems. It also relies on simplified assumptions, which may not accurately reflect the actual behavior of the system. Therefore, experimental validation is necessary to confirm the results obtained from analytical modeling.

How can the results from analytical modeling be used to improve the design of mechanical systems?

The results obtained from analytical modeling can provide insights into the behavior of mechanical systems under different conditions. This information can be used to optimize the design of systems, such as choosing the most suitable materials, lubrication, and operating conditions to minimize friction and heat generation. It can also help in identifying potential failure points and improving the overall performance and durability of the system.