Solving logs - Richter Scale and Decibels

In summary: Do you see what I'm saying? Because it would be a lot easier just to take the Io value and multiply it by 10 to the M every time, in such a...um...systematic way?Yes, I see what you're saying. But is that really the best way to do it?Yes, I see what you're saying. But is that really the best way to do it?
Gregory.gags
the text tells me that for calculating the Richter Scale magnitude of an earthquake we can use:

M = log(I/I0) which can also be written as

I = I0 x 10M

Where M=magnitute, I=intensity, and I0=intensity 0

How are those two formulas equal? Where did the log go? Can someone show me the proof for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The log in the first equation must be to the base 10.

To cancel the log you do:

[itex]10^{M}=10^{Log(I/I_{0})}[/itex]

Which becomes:

[itex]10^{M}=I/I_{0}[/itex]

Then multiply by [itex]I_{0}[/itex]

[itex]I = 10^{M} * I_{0}[/itex]

damn sorry the first one was supposed to be :

M = 10log(I/I0)

does that make a difference?

Gregory.gags said:
damn sorry the first one was supposed to be :

M = 10log(I/I0)
That doesn't look right to me.

Starting with your 2nd formula,

I = I0 x 10M,
Divide both sides by I0 to get I/I0 = 10M

Now take the log (log10 or common log) of both sides.

yes, I think I understand what to do once I have the formula I=I0x10M

my problem is how to get to that from: M = 10log(I/I0)

that is the formula they gave me.

30 = 10log(I/I0)
log(I/I0) = 3
I = I0 x 103

I have no idea how they figured out each step but that is what I was given and I want to know the proof for that.

Do you know the relationship between exponents and logarithms?
log x = b iff 10b = x.

So, looking at your last post, I'll insert a step.
30 = 10log(I/I0)
log(I/I0) = 3
103 = I/I0
I = I0 x 103

Do you see it now?

ooooooooh right wow.. how did I miss that? :P alright thanks!

Gregory.gags said:
yes, I think I understand what to do once I have the formula I=I0x10M

my problem is how to get to that from: M = 10log(I/I0)
What I'm saying is that you can't get there from this formula. Here's why:
M = 10log(I/I0)
=> M/10 = log(I/I0)
=> 10M/10 = I/I0
=> I = I010M/10

This is different from the formula you show.

Are you sure you're not misreading what they gave you? Or whoever wrote that formula might have made a typo, and typed "10log" instead of "log10".
Gregory.gags said:
that is the formula they gave me.

30 = 10log(I/I0)
log(I/I0) = 3
I = I0 x 103

I have no idea how they figured out each step but that is what I was given and I want to know the proof for that.

Mark44 said:
What I'm saying is that you can't get there from this formula. Here's why:
M = 10log(I/I0)
=> M/10 = log(I/I0)
=> 10M/10 = I/I0
=> I = I010M/10

This is different from the formula you show.

Are you sure you're not misreading what they gave you? Or whoever wrote that formula might have made a typo, and typed "10log" instead of "log10".

but that's exactly right? if you just sub in 30 for M it works out perfectly no?

No, that's not exactly right. In post #9 I started with M = 10log(I/I0), solved for I, and got I = I010M/10.

Your formula from post #1 is I = I010M.

I hope that you can see that these are not the same.

yeah I see what I did, it was just a mistake on the first post, but I get it now.

also, just from looking at this question I was wondering:

if M = log(I/I0) then I = I0 x 10M... would this be the same as... I = I0eM

'e' as in exp.

Gregory.gags said:
if M = log(I/I0) then I = I0 x 10M... would this be the same as... I = I0eM

'e' as in exp.
No. 10 does not equal e, does it?

Logarithm to the base 10 is often denoted as "log"; logarithm to the base e is generally denoted as "ln".

oay said:
No. 10 does not equal e, does it?

Logarithm to the base 10 is often denoted as "log"; logarithm to the base e is generally denoted as "ln".

oh no sorry I meant 'E' as in scientific notation.
like 99E7 = 99x107 = 990,000,000

is that the same for the formula in my last post?

Gregory.gags said:

Ah, yes. I've never seen it written that way before other than on a calculator, but I do know what you mean.

Gregory.gags said:

They don't usually write the exponent as a superscript. With the E notation, it would be 99E7, or more likely, 9.9E8 or 9.9E08.

ok right. But if M = log(I/I0) then I = I0 x 10M... would this be the same as... I = I0EM

do you see what I'm saying? Because it would be a lot easier just to take the Io value and multiply it by 10 to the M every time, in such a situation.

Gregory.gags said:
ok right. But if M = log(I/I0) then I = I0 x 10M...
You mean I = I0 x 10M.

Gregory.gags said:
...would this be the same as... I = I0EM
I guess so, but it's not usually written that way... only in calculators/computers. What if you have an exponential expression and the base is not 10?

Gregory.gags said:
ok right. But if M = log(I/I0) then I = I0 x 10M... would this be the same as... I = I0EM

eumyang said:
You mean I = I0 x 10M.
Gregory.gags said:
do you see what I'm saying? Because it would be a lot easier just to take the Io value and multiply it by 10 to the M every time, in such a situation.

eumyang said:
I guess so, but it's not usually written that way... only in calculators/computers. What if you have an exponential expression and the base is not 10?
I doubt that anyone would look at I0EM and comprehend that M is supposed to be the exponent on 10. Instead, most people would interpret this as I0 * E * M, where E and M would be presumed to be some unstated values. I have never seen scientific notation in programming form (i.e., E+nn form) where the exponent is a variable.

1. What is the Richter scale and how is it used to measure earthquakes?

The Richter scale is a logarithmic scale used to measure the magnitude of earthquakes. It assigns a numerical value to the amount of energy released by an earthquake, with each increase of 1 representing a 10-fold increase in energy. This means that a magnitude 5 earthquake is 10 times more powerful than a magnitude 4 earthquake. The scale is based on the amplitude of the seismic waves recorded by a seismograph.

2. How do you convert between Richter scale and decibels?

The Richter scale and decibels are both logarithmic scales, but they measure different things. The Richter scale measures the magnitude of an earthquake, while decibels measure the intensity of sound. To convert between the two, you can use the formula: decibels = 20 x log(R), where R is the Richter scale magnitude. For example, a magnitude 5 earthquake would have an intensity of 100 decibels.

3. What is the relationship between the Richter scale and the energy released by an earthquake?

The Richter scale is based on the amount of energy released by an earthquake, with each increase of 1 representing a 10-fold increase in energy. This means that a magnitude 7 earthquake releases 1000 times more energy than a magnitude 4 earthquake. However, it is important to note that the Richter scale only measures the amplitude of seismic waves and does not take into account other factors such as the distance from the epicenter.

4. Can the Richter scale be used to predict the damage caused by an earthquake?

No, the Richter scale cannot be used to accurately predict the damage caused by an earthquake. It is only a measure of the magnitude of the earthquake and does not take into account other factors such as the depth of the earthquake, the type of soil, and the proximity to populated areas. Other scales, such as the Mercalli scale, are used to measure the intensity and effects of an earthquake on the Earth's surface.

5. Why is the Richter scale logarithmic?

The Richter scale is logarithmic because it allows for a wider range of values to be represented in a more manageable scale. Earthquakes can vary greatly in magnitude, and using a logarithmic scale allows for a more intuitive understanding of their relative strength. It also reflects the fact that the energy released by an earthquake increases exponentially with each increase in magnitude.