Solving Matrices Questions: Trace of a Matrix [tr(A)]

• Thread starter Tanishq Nandan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary: There's nothing in the question which says the matrix elements can't be negative.That would mean I'm most probably missing something basic.Help appreciated.Yes, valid point..guarantee for A^-1 to exist.You're not given that matrix A is invertible, so ##A^{-1}## is not guaranteed to exist.Since the array contains only one element (say x),this can only mean that x^4=16,No, I don't think this is true. As I read the problem, A is an n x n matrix, each of whose elements is the product of two real numbers.The problem wording seems
Tanishq Nandan

Homework Statement

20170905_215721-1-1.jpg

Homework Equations

A.A^-1=Identity matrix
Trace of a matrix [tr(A)]is the sum of elements on it's main diagonal.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the given equation,post-multiplying A^-1 (A inverse) on both sides gives A^4=16.
Since the array contains only one element (say x),this can only mean that x^4=16,
which means that x is either 2 or -2.So,the trace of the matrix can also correspondingly be 2 or -2
Sure enough,the answer given is 2,but how do we eliminate -2?
There's nothing in the question which says the matrix elements can't be negative.
That would mean I'm most probably missing something basic.
Help appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you get A5 = 16A by using -2 ?

Umm...yeah..why not??
-32=-32

The problem is kind of hard to read / interpret to be honest.

Why do you think ##\mathbf A^{-1}## exists?

Tanishq Nandan said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 210415

Homework Equations

A.A^-1=Identity matrix

In the given equation,post-multiplying A^-1 (A inverse) on both sides gives A^4=16.
You're not given that matrix A is invertible, so ##A^{-1}## is not guaranteed to exist.
Tanishq Nandan said:
Since the array contains only one element (say x),this can only mean that x^4=16,
No, I don't think this is true. As I read the problem, A is an n x n matrix, each of whose elements is the product of two real numbers.

The problem wording seems a bit odd to me.
Tanishq Nandan said:
which means that x is either 2 or -2.So,the trace of the matrix can also correspondingly be 2 or -2
Sure enough,the asnwer given is 2,but how do we eliminate -2?
There's nothing in the question which says the matrix elements can't be negative.
Help appreciated.

Yeah,valid point..guarantee for A^-1 to exist.
Mark44 said:
s I read the problem, A is an n x n matrix, each of whose elements is the product of two real numbers.
Yep,with n=1 to make it simple
Mark44 said:
The problem wording seems a bit odd to me.
I know..the first part went entirely above me.
I just did whatever I could from the given equation.
That too,apparently turned out to be wrong.

Tanishq Nandan said:
Yep,with n=1 to make it simple
When you're working with matrices, it's better to work with at least 2 x 2 matrices.

You are given that ##A^5 = 16A##, which is equivalent to ##A(A^4 - 16I) = 0##. I would start be factoring the left side completely, but not assuming any particular size for the matrices.

Likes scottdave
Mark44 said:
not assuming any particular size for the matrices.
But the question has already said that the matrix consists of a single element,a(ij)

A is a singleton matrix.I thought that's what the first part meant.

Tanishq Nandan said:
But the question has already said that the matrix consists of a single element,a(ij)
No.

The notation ##[a_{ij}]##, with ##1 \le i \le n## and ##1 \le j \le n## means that the matrix A is n X n. At least, that's the usual meaning. I don't get the connection with u and v, though.

Oo..alright
Mark44 said:
I don't get the connection with u and v, though.
Me neither

I think what they're saying is that ##\mathbf A## is a rank one matrix in reals, i.e.

##\mathbf A = \mathbf {uv}^T##

hence

##trace\big(\mathbf A\big) = trace\big(\mathbf {uv}^T\big) = trace\big(\mathbf {v}^T\mathbf u \big)=\lambda ##

If you're not familiar with diagonalization, you can attack this just with extensive use of cyclic property of trace. However, the problem seems underspecified.

I don't think I got that..

StoneTemplePython said:
I think what they're saying is that ##\mathbf A## is ...

##\mathbf A = \mathbf {uv}^T##
Yes. That's how I read this problem. u and v are column vectors.

SammyS said:
Yes. That's how I read this problem.
The issue is it's a terrible problem.

suppose

##\mathbf u = \mathbf 0##
Then

##\mathbf A = \mathbf {uv}^T= \mathbf{0}##

i.e. ##\mathbf A## is the zero matrix which is in fact rank zero. This allows ##\lambda = 0## as a solution. To get the 'official' solution of only ##\lambda = 2##, it needs to say that all entries in ##\mathbf u## and ##\mathbf v## are positive or some other condition that is considerably more restrictive than the original question.

Tanishq Nandan said:
I don't think I got that..
Are you familiar with the cyclic property of the trace? If not, I'd drill that as it's quite important in many different situations and can give you insights to this problem.

As is, the problem you posted with the solution of just ##\lambda =2##, is broken.

Ok,I'll look into it.

Tanishq Nandan said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 210415

Homework Equations

A.A^-1=Identity matrix

Sure enough,the answer given is 2,but how do we eliminate -2?
Help appreciated.

You haven't missed anything - you're right on target. :oldsmile:
With u=(1) and v=(2), we get A=(2), which satisfies all conditions, and which has trace 2.
With u=(1) and v=(-2), we get A=(-2), which also satisfies all conditions, and which has trace -2.
Just for fun, with u=(0) and v=(0), we get A=(0), which also satisfies all conditions, and which has trace 0.
In other words, with the given information we cannot tell what the trace is, and we have a counter example for the given answer.

Going a little beyond, the given equation implies that we can only have eigenvalues -2, 0, and 2 (and pairs of -2i and +2i that cancel), all with unknown multiplicities.
The trace is the sum of the eigenvalues, so I believe the only thing we can say is that the trace is an even integer.

Just checking, is there any additionally information given before the whole set of problem statements?

Nope

What is the trace of a matrix?

The trace of a matrix, denoted as tr(A), is the sum of all the elements on the main diagonal of a square matrix. In other words, it is the sum of the elements from the top left to the bottom right of a matrix.

How do you calculate the trace of a matrix?

To calculate the trace of a matrix, simply add up all the elements on the main diagonal of the matrix. For example, if we have a 3x3 matrix A = [1 2 3; 4 5 6; 7 8 9], the trace would be tr(A) = 1 + 5 + 9 = 15.

Why is the trace of a matrix important?

The trace of a matrix has several applications in linear algebra and other fields of mathematics. It can be used to calculate the eigenvalues of a matrix, to determine the rank of a matrix, and to solve systems of linear equations. It also has applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of quantum mechanics and circuit analysis.

Can the trace of a matrix be negative?

Yes, the trace of a matrix can be negative. This occurs when the sum of the elements on the main diagonal is negative. However, it is important to note that the trace of a matrix is a real number, so it cannot be both positive and negative at the same time.

Is the trace of a matrix affected by scalar multiplication?

Yes, the trace of a matrix is affected by scalar multiplication. When multiplying a matrix by a scalar, the trace of the resulting matrix will be equal to the trace of the original matrix multiplied by the same scalar. In other words, tr(kA) = k * tr(A), where k is a scalar and A is a square matrix.