Solving Max Distance Between Supports for 2m Beam w/ Yield & Tensile Strengths

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum deflection of a material with given measurements and using the flexural strength formula to solve for the distance between supports. The formula used is $\sigma_{fs}=\frac{3F_{f}L}{2bd^{2}}$ and the resulting distance is 234.8623853mm. The conversation also touches on finding the bending stress in a beam and the maximum moment in a beam under a point load.
Nemo1
Hi Community,

I have this question which I have been able to partially answer.
Part 1: From samples, we measured the Flexure Modulus of a material and was asked to solve for the deflection of the material at a $1m$ span and $1kg$ which I used \(\displaystyle Maximum Deflection = \frac{wl^{3}}{48EI}\)
$W$ $=$ $weight$ $in$ $Kg$ $times$ $9.81mm/s^2$, $l$ $=$ $length$, $E$ $=$ $Flexure$ $Modulus$ & $I$ $=$ $Moment$ $of$ $inertia$

This bit I get:)

The next question has me stumped:confused:; Given a beam $2m$ long with a cross section of 12x12mm with a yield stress of $40MPa$ and a tensile Strength of $70MPa$ with a safety factor of two what is the maximum distance between the supports?

I am after a pointer in the right direction, can I somehow derive the formula above to solve?

Cheer Nemo.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Nemo said:
Hi Community,

I have this question which I have been able to partially answer.
Part 1: From samples, we measured the Flexure Modulus of a material and was asked to solve for the deflection of the material at a $1m$ span and $1kg$ which I used \(\displaystyle Maximum Deflection = \frac{wl^{3}}{48EI}\)
$W$ $=$ $weight$ $in$ $Kg$ $times$ $9.81mm/s^2$, $l$ $=$ $length$, $E$ $=$ $Flexure$ $Modulus$ & $I$ $=$ $Moment$ $of$ $inertia$

This bit I get:)

The next question has me stumped:confused:; Given a beam $2m$ long with a cross section of 12x12mm with a yield stress of $40MPa$ and a tensile Strength of $70MPa$ with a safety factor of two what is the maximum distance between the supports?

I am after a pointer in the right direction, can I somehow derive the formula above to solve?

Cheer Nemo.

Hi Nemo! ;)

It seems some information is missing.
To figure out any boundaries, we need to know the expected load (or point force) on the beam.
Is that given? (Wondering)

Yes, sorry, it was ten Kilograms as the load.

Cheers Nemo

Nemo said:
Yes, sorry, it was ten Kilograms as the load.

Cheers Nemo

With a yield stress of $40 \text{ MPa}$, it takes a force of $40\text{ MPa} \times (12\text{ mm})^2 = 5760\text{ N}$ before permanent deformation occurs.
That corresponds to $576\text{ kg}$.

A point load of $10 \text{ kg}$ is nowhere near.
Something is missing here. (Worried)

I like Serena said:
With a yield stress of $40 \text{ MPa}$, it takes a force of $40\text{ MPa} \times (12\text{ mm})^2 = 5760\text{ N}$ before permanent deformation occurs.
That corresponds to $576\text{ kg}$.

A point load of $10 \text{ kg}$ is nowhere near.
Something is missing here. (Worried)

This is the question:
View attachment 5589

I have been able to find the safety factor by:
\(\displaystyle \sigma_{w}=\frac{\sigma_{y}}{n}=\frac{40MPa}{2}=20MPa\)

I looked at trying to find the Young's Modulus from the tensile and yield stress given via the secant modulus, but I don't think that is the right approach.

If I had the Young's Modulus then I would use \(\displaystyle Maximum$ $Deflection=\frac{Wl^{3}}{48EI}\) Formula and set the deflection to $0$ and solve for the length $l$.

Here is where I am confused, there must be a method to solve using only the information shown.

P.s. Many thanks for your help so far Serena.:D

Cheers Nemo

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 8.23.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 8.23.31 PM.png
    25 KB · Views: 58
Nemo said:
This is the question:I have been able to find the safety factor by:
\(\displaystyle \sigma_{w}=\frac{\sigma_{y}}{n}=\frac{40MPa}{2}=20MPa\)

I looked at trying to find the Young's Modulus from the tensile and yield stress given via the secant modulus, but I don't think that is the right approach.

If I had the Young's Modulus then I would use \(\displaystyle Maximum$ $Deflection=\frac{Wl^{3}}{48EI}\) Formula and set the deflection to $0$ and solve for the length $l$.

Here is where I am confused, there must be a method to solve using only the information shown.

P.s. Many thanks for your help so far Serena.:D

Cheers Nemo

You should have a formula for the bending stress $\sigma_{bend}$ in a beam.
Can you find one?

It should be something like:
$$\sigma_{bend} = \frac{M}{S}$$
where $M$ is the moment in the beam, and $S$ depends on the profile of the beam.

The maximum moment in a beam under a point load $W$ in the center is:
$$M_{max} = \frac{WL}{4}$$
where $L$ is the length of the beam.

For a rectangular beam, as we have here, we have:
$$S = \frac{bh^2}{6}$$
where $b$ is the width of the beam and $h$ is the height of the beam.

So I think I have solved this:

Using the flexural Strength Formula:

\(\displaystyle \sigma_{fs}=\frac{3F_{f}L}{2bd^{2}}\)

I was able to then plugin my numbers and solve for $L$

\(\displaystyle 20=\frac{3 \cdot 10 \cdot 9.81 \cdot L}{2 \cdot 12 \cdot 12^{2}}\)

\(\displaystyle L=\frac{25600}{109}=234.8623853mm\) which is the distance they have to be apart.

Thanks again for your help Serena.

Cheers Nemo

Nemo said:
So I think I have solved this:

Using the flexural Strength Formula:

\(\displaystyle \sigma_{fs}=\frac{3F_{f}L}{2bd^{2}}\)

I was able to then plugin my numbers and solve for $L$

\(\displaystyle 20=\frac{3 \cdot 10 \cdot 9.81 \cdot L}{2 \cdot 12 \cdot 12^{2}}\)

\(\displaystyle L=\frac{25600}{109}=234.8623853mm\) which is the distance they have to be apart.

Thanks again for your help Serena.

Cheers Nemo

Yep. That's the correct formula and it matches what I wrote. (Nod)

1. What is the purpose of calculating the maximum distance between supports for a 2m beam?

The purpose of calculating the maximum distance between supports for a 2m beam is to ensure that the beam can safely support the intended load without bending or breaking. This calculation takes into account the beam's yield and tensile strengths, as well as the expected weight and distribution of the load.

2. How do yield and tensile strengths affect the maximum distance between supports?

The yield and tensile strengths of a beam are important factors in determining the maximum distance between supports. The higher the yield strength, the more weight the beam can support before it begins to bend or deform. The tensile strength, on the other hand, determines how much weight the beam can withstand before breaking.

3. What is the formula for calculating the maximum distance between supports?

The formula for calculating the maximum distance between supports for a 2m beam is: D = (3 x F x L2) / (8 x Y), where D is the maximum distance between supports, F is the expected load, L is the length of the beam, and Y is the yield strength of the beam. This formula takes into account the beam's ability to resist bending under a load.

4. Can the maximum distance between supports be increased by using a stronger beam?

Yes, using a beam with a higher yield strength will allow for a greater maximum distance between supports. However, it is important to also consider the weight and cost of a stronger beam when making this decision.

5. What other factors should be considered when determining the maximum distance between supports?

In addition to the yield and tensile strengths of the beam, other factors that should be considered when determining the maximum distance between supports include the type and distribution of the load, the material and quality of the beam, and any external factors such as wind or seismic activity. It is important to carefully analyze all of these factors to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.