Solving Partial Fractions & Maclaurin Series Q&A

In summary, we have solved the partial fractions problem and found the Maclaurin series expansion for f(x).
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

PARTIAL FRACTIONS: How to solve this?

Let f(x) =

(x^2 + 7x − 6)/((x − 1)(x − 2)(x + 1))
(i) Express f(x) in partial fractions.

(ii) Show that, when x is sufficiently small for x4 and higher powers to be neglected,

f(x) = −3 + 2x − (3/2)x^2 + (11/4)x^3.

Please work it out step by step so I can figure out how to work out similar questions on my own.

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can view my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Past the Black's question at Yahoo Answers regarding partial fractions and Maclaurin series

Hello Past the Black,

We are given:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{x^2+7x-6}{(x-1)(x-2)(x+1)}\)

i) We may assume the partial fraction decomposition of $f$ will take the form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^2-7x-6}{(x-1)(x-2)(x+1)}=\frac{A}{x-1}+\frac{B}{x-2}+\frac{C}{x+1}\)

Using the Heaviside cover-up method, we find:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1^2+7\cdot1-6}{(1-2)(1+1)}=\frac{2}{(-1)(2)}=-1\)

\(\displaystyle B=\frac{2^2+7\cdot2-6}{(2-1)(2+1)}=\frac{12}{(1)(3)}=4\)

\(\displaystyle C=\frac{(-1)^2+7\cdot(-1)-6}{(-1-1)(-1-2)}=\frac{-12}{(-2)(-3)}=-2\)

Hence, we find:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{x^2-7x-6}{(x-1)(x-2)(x+1)}=-\frac{1}{x-1}+\frac{4}{x-2}-\frac{2}{x+1}\)

ii) The Maclaurin expansion is given by:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left[\frac{f^{(k)}(0)}{k!}x^k \right]\)

Using the partial fraction decomposition written in the following form:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=-(x-1)^{-1}+4(x-2)^{-1}-2(x+1)^{-1}\)

We may state:

\(\displaystyle f^{(k)}(0)=(-1)^kk!\left(-(-1)^{-(k+1)}+4(-2)^{-(k+1)}-2 \right)\)

And so the series expansion becomes:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left[(-1)^k\left(-(-1)^{-(k+1)}+4(-2)^{-(k+1)}-2 \right)x^k \right]\)

And so the first 4 terms are:

\(\displaystyle f(x)\approx-3+2x-\frac{3}{2}x^2+\frac{11}{4}x^3\)

1. What is the purpose of solving partial fractions?

The purpose of solving partial fractions is to simplify complicated algebraic expressions involving rational functions. It allows us to break down a single fraction into smaller, simpler fractions that are easier to work with.

2. How do you solve partial fractions?

To solve partial fractions, you need to follow a specific set of steps:

1. Factor the denominator of the rational expression
  2. Write the partial fraction with undetermined coefficients
  3. Set up a system of equations by equating the coefficients of the partial fractions to the coefficients of the original rational expression
  4. Solve the system of equations to find the values of the undetermined coefficients
  5. Substitute the values of the coefficients back into the partial fraction to get the final solution.

3. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a special type of Taylor series, which is a way of representing a function as an infinite sum of terms. The Maclaurin series specifically is a Taylor series centered at x=0, meaning that it is a polynomial approximation of a function near x=0.

4. How do you find the Maclaurin series of a function?

To find the Maclaurin series of a function, you need to follow these steps:

1. Find the derivatives of the function up to the desired order
  2. Evaluate the derivatives at x=0
  3. Write the series in sigma notation using the coefficients from the derivatives
  4. Simplify the series by factoring out common terms

5. What is the significance of Maclaurin series?

Maclaurin series are significant because they allow us to approximate complicated functions with simpler polynomial expressions. They are also useful for solving differential equations and finding the behavior of functions near x=0. Maclaurin series are also used in many areas of science, such as physics and engineering, for modeling and predicting real-world phenomena.