Solving Permutations Question with Restrictions

• MHB
  • Thread starter Lancelot1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permutations
In summary: Therefore, the number of multisets of size 3 is equal to the number of non-decreasing triples, which is $\binom{11}{3}$.In summary, the number of permutations for creating a code of 3 digits from the digits 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, where each digit is equal or larger than the previous one, is equal to the number of multisets of size 3, which is $\binom{11}{3}$. This can be proven by showing a bijection between multisets and non-decreasing triples.
Lancelot1
Hello all

Please look at this questions:

What is the number of permutations for creating a code of 3 digits from the digits 1,2,3,...,9 , such that every digit is equal or larger from the previous one ?

I know that if I wanted the number of permutations without restrictions it would be:

\[9^{3}\]

If all digits can be the same. Otherwise it would be

\[9\cdot 8\cdot 7\]

How do I approach the restriction, I mean, there are many possibilities, it depends on the numbers that I get.

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The number of ordered tuples $(a,b,c)$ where $1\le a\le b\le c\le 9$ is equal to the number of multisets $\{a,b,c\}$ because every multiset can be ordered in ascending order in a unique way.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
The number of ordered tuples $(a,b,c)$ where $1\le a\le b\le c\le 9$ is equal to the number of multisets $\{a,b,c\}$ because every multiset can be ordered in ascending order in a unique way.

Do you mean that the answer is :

\[\binom{11}{3}\] ?

I don't understand the rational behind it.

Lancelot said:
Do you mean that the answer is :

\[\binom{11}{3}\] ?
Yes. Because there is a bijection $f$ between the set of multisets of size 3 and the set of non-decreasing triples. Namely, $f(s)$ is $s$ sorted in increasing order.

1. How do I determine the number of possible permutations when there are restrictions?

The number of possible permutations with restrictions can be determined by using the formula nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being selected. This formula takes into account the restrictions and only calculates the possible permutations that meet those restrictions.

2. Can I use the same formula for permutations with or without restrictions?

No, the formula for permutations with restrictions is different from the formula for permutations without restrictions. The formula for permutations without restrictions is n!, which calculates all possible permutations without taking into account any restrictions.

3. How do I identify the restrictions in a permutation question?

The restrictions in a permutation question are usually indicated by words such as "only", "exactly", "at least", or "no more than". These words indicate that there are limitations on the number of items that can be selected or the order in which they can be arranged.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve permutation questions with restrictions?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve permutation questions with restrictions. Many scientific calculators have a permutation function that can help you easily calculate the number of possible permutations with or without restrictions.

5. Are there any tips for solving permutation questions with restrictions?

Yes, here are some tips for solving permutation questions with restrictions:

• Read the question carefully to identify the restrictions.
  • Use the correct formula for permutations with restrictions.
  • Break down the problem into smaller parts if there are multiple restrictions.
  • Draw diagrams or make lists to visualize the problem.
  • Check your answer to make sure it meets all the restrictions given in the question.