Solving Rate of Reaction Problems: Ethyl Ethanoate and Sodium Hydroxide

In summary, the question discusses the identification of half life doubling and second order in relation to ethyl ethanoate and sodium hydroxide. The question then asks about the order for OH- ions or total order, with the answer being total order. The mark scheme explains this by stating that the ester and NaOH are equimolar at the start, which may seem contradictory to the expected result of OH- order. The individual asking the question is seeking an explanation for this discrepancy and expresses concern about encountering similar questions in their own studies.
jsmith613

Homework Statement

http://www.mrev.org.uk/A-Level_Site/New%20A-Level%20Unit%204/Rates.html
(the answers are at the top - see link)

Could someone please help me with the question (about half way through) on ethyl ethanoate and sodium hydroxide.
in cii) we identified the half life doubles
ciii) we identified the order is second order

for part civ) we are asked is this the order for OH- ions or total order.
I would have said OH- order BUT the answer is total order.
Please could someone explain this (the mark schemes explanation is ester and NaOH are equimolar at the start - how is this relevant)

thanks

Homework Equations

NONE

The Attempt at a Solution

I have shown my attempts above in the body of this question

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
questions like this come up often and I am worried it may come up in mine so i would really like to understand the theory behind it

i read a few books and they all agree the graph should only show order with respect to OH ions
why is this not the case here

It might be better if you present the relevant information here. I couldn't find what you're talking about!

As a scientist, it is important to carefully analyze and interpret data to arrive at accurate conclusions. In this case, we are dealing with a rate of reaction problem involving ethyl ethanoate and sodium hydroxide. The given information suggests that the reaction follows a second-order kinetics, as evidenced by the doubling of the half-life in part cii). This means that the rate of the reaction is directly proportional to the concentration of both reactants, ethyl ethanoate and sodium hydroxide.

In part civ), we are asked to identify the order of the reaction in terms of OH- ions or the total order. The given answer states that the total order is second order, which may seem contradictory as we have previously identified the second order as being related to both reactants. However, upon further analysis, we can see that the total order is indeed second order because the concentration of OH- ions is directly proportional to the concentration of sodium hydroxide. In other words, as the concentration of OH- ions increases, the concentration of sodium hydroxide also increases, resulting in a second-order relationship.

The explanation given in the mark scheme about the initial equimolar concentrations of ethyl ethanoate and sodium hydroxide is relevant because it helps us understand the relationship between the concentrations of both reactants. In a second-order reaction, the rate of the reaction is affected by the concentrations of both reactants. In this case, since the initial concentrations of both reactants are equal, any changes in their concentrations will have an equal effect on the rate of the reaction. Therefore, the total order of the reaction is second order, taking into account both reactants.

In conclusion, it is important to carefully consider all relevant factors and data when solving rate of reaction problems. The given answer may seem counterintuitive at first, but upon further analysis, we can see that it is indeed correct and takes into account the equimolar concentrations of the reactants and their proportional relationship.

1. What is the purpose of solving rate of reaction problems involving ethyl ethanoate and sodium hydroxide?

The purpose is to determine the rate at which ethyl ethanoate and sodium hydroxide react with each other under various conditions, such as different concentrations or temperatures. This information can provide insights into the chemical properties of these substances and can be useful in industrial processes.

2. How can the rate of reaction be measured in this system?

The rate of reaction can be measured by monitoring the change in concentration of either ethyl ethanoate or sodium hydroxide over time, using techniques such as titration or spectrophotometry. The rate can also be determined by measuring the amount of product formed over a certain time period.

3. What factors can affect the rate of reaction in this system?

The rate of reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of a catalyst, and surface area of the reactants. Changes in these factors can alter the frequency of collisions between the reactant molecules, thus impacting the rate of reaction.

4. How can the rate law and rate constant be determined for this reaction?

The rate law and rate constant can be determined by conducting a series of experiments in which the initial concentrations of ethyl ethanoate and sodium hydroxide are systematically varied. The resulting data can then be used to calculate the rate of reaction and determine the order of the reaction with respect to each reactant. The rate constant can then be calculated using the rate law equation.

5. How can the results of solving rate of reaction problems be applied in real-world scenarios?

The information obtained from solving rate of reaction problems can be applied in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and chemical manufacturing. It can help in optimizing reaction conditions to increase production efficiency and reduce costs. It can also aid in predicting the shelf life of products and ensuring their quality and stability.