Solving Sine Rule Question: Angle B & A in Triangle ABC

• MHB
  • Thread starter ai93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sine
In summary, the conversation discusses using the Sine rule to solve for angles in a triangle with given side lengths and angle measures. It is mentioned that there are two possible solutions for angle B, and the identity is used to find the second solution. This is due to the ambiguous case, where the sum of the given angle and the larger possibility is less than 180 degrees. It is also noted that the sum of the three interior angles of a triangle is always 180 degrees.
ai93
I understand how to use the Sine rule, but I think I may get stuck halfway through!

My questions is:
In a Triangle ABC the angle at C is 48.15 degrees, side AB is 15.3m and side AC is 17.6m.
Calculate the size of angle B and angle A, giving all possible solutions, in degrees accurate to 1 d.p.

I used the Sine rule.
\(\displaystyle \frac{SinB}{17.6}=\frac{Sin(48.15)}{15.3}\)
\(\displaystyle \therefore\)\(\displaystyle SinB=\frac{15.3}{Sin(48.15)x17.6} = 0.86\)

so, B=\(\displaystyle Sin^{-1}(0.86)\)
B= 59 degrees.

I understand up to here, but in the solution B can = 59 or 120.9 degrees. Where I am not sure where 120.9 comes from!

Therefore I can only solve for B but not for A. Any help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are two angles for which:

\(\displaystyle \sin(B)\approx0.86\) and \(\displaystyle 0^{\circ}<B<180^{\circ}\)

You found the first quadrant angle, but recall the identity:

\(\displaystyle \sin\left(180^{\circ}-\theta\right)=\sin(\theta)\)

Therefore, we also find that it may be possible that:

\(\displaystyle B\approx180^{\circ}-\arcsin(0.86)\approx120.68^{\circ}\)

Now, since:

\(\displaystyle 120.68+48.15=168.83<180\)

We know there are two possible triangles that satisfy the given conditions. You can read more about the ambiguous case here:

Law of sines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MarkFL said:
There are two angles for which:

\(\displaystyle \sin(B)\approx0.86\) and \(\displaystyle 0^{\circ}<B<180^{\circ}\)

You found the first quadrant angle, but recall the identity:

\(\displaystyle \sin\left(180^{\circ}-\theta\right)=\sin(\theta)\)

Therefore, we also find that it may be possible that:

\(\displaystyle B\approx180^{\circ}-\arcsin(0.86)\approx120.68^{\circ}\)

Now, since:

\(\displaystyle 120.68+48.15=168.83<180\)

We know there are two possible triangles that satisfy the given conditions. You can read more about the ambiguous case here:

Law of sines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I fairly understand..

So, since we found out the first quadrant, angle B which is 59 degrees.
We can say B \(\displaystyle \approx180 - sin^{-1}(0.86)\approx120.86\)

Can I ask when do we know that the angle can have two solutions?

We have angle C as 48.15, angle B can be either 59 or 120. Or can angle A be 168.
Sorry, abit confused!

We know there can be two triangles because:

$120.68+48.15=168.83<180$

Because the sum of the given angle and the larger possibility is less than $180^{\circ}$, we know this leaves room for the third angle.

So, when $\angle B\approx 59.32^{\circ}$ then $\angle A\approx180^{\circ}-\left(48.15+59.32\right)^{\circ}$ and when $\angle B\approx 120.68^{\circ}$ then $\angle A\approx180^{\circ}-\left(48.15+120.68\right)^{\circ}$. This is because the sum of the three interior angles of a triangle is always $180^{\circ}$.

MarkFL said:
We know there can be two triangles because:

$120.68+48.15=168.83<180$

Because the sum of the given angle and the larger possibility is less than $180^{\circ}$, we know this leaves room for the third angle.

So, when $\angle B\approx 59.32^{\circ}$ then $\angle A\approx180^{\circ}-\left(48.15+59.32\right)^{\circ}$ and when $\angle B\approx 120.68^{\circ}$ then $\angle A\approx180^{\circ}-\left(48.15+120.68\right)^{\circ}$. This is because the sum of the three interior angles of a triangle is always $180^{\circ}$.

Thanks! Makes a lot more sense now :D

1. What is the sine rule and how is it used to solve for angle B and A in a triangle?

The sine rule, also known as the law of sines, is a mathematical formula used to find the missing side lengths or angles of a triangle. In this case, it can be used to solve for angles B and A in a triangle ABC. The formula is as follows: sin(A)/a = sin(B)/b = sin(C)/c, where A, B, and C are angles and a, b, and c are the corresponding side lengths.

2. Can the sine rule be used for any type of triangle?

Yes, the sine rule can be used for any type of triangle, including acute, right, and obtuse triangles. It is a general formula that applies to all triangles.

3. What information is needed to use the sine rule to solve for angle B and A?

To use the sine rule to solve for angle B and A, you need to know the length of at least one side and the measure of at least one angle in the triangle. Additionally, you will need to know the measure of either another side or angle in order to fully solve the problem.

4. Are there any restrictions or limitations when using the sine rule to solve for angle B and A?

Yes, there are a few restrictions when using the sine rule. First, the triangle must be a non-degenerate triangle, meaning it cannot be a straight line. Additionally, the given angle and side lengths must be in the same unit (e.g. degrees or radians). Lastly, when using the sine rule to solve for angles, the given angle must be opposite the given side length.

5. Are there any other methods for solving for angle B and A in a triangle?

Yes, there are other methods for solving for angles in a triangle, such as the cosine rule, the Pythagorean theorem, and trigonometric identities. However, the sine rule is specifically used when you have the measure of an angle and the corresponding side length, making it a useful tool for solving for unknown angles in a triangle.