Solving sturm-liouville equations

• Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of using the Sturm-Liouville method to solve an ODE and the role of self-adjoint boundary conditions. The theory states that the general solution of the ODE is a linear combination of two linearly independent solutions, and the eigenvalues can be found by applying the self-adjoint boundary conditions. In some cases, numerical methods may be necessary to find the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenfunctions.
ognik
Forgive me if I'm just having a mental block about this, but I'm teaching myself the sturm-liouville method - I'm happy with getting the general ODE to this (self-adjoint) form after adjusting for any weighting function):
$$ \mathcal{L}y=\lambda y $$ the operator is of the form $$\mathcal{L}= (p(x) \frac{d}{dx})'+q(x)$$ p, q real polynomials.

None of the material I have read, or examples, show what the next step toward a solution is; examples just claim some solution and go on to discuss things like hermitian operator properties. I don't know where they get either the eigenvalues or eigenvectors from, could someone please give me a hint?

I could go back to the general linear homogeneous 2nd order ODE form and use something like Frobenius to solve that, but then what would have been the point of getting it into the S-L form?

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you know that you have a Sturm-Liouville problem, there are various theorems available regarding the solutions, for example, that they form a complete set in terms of which other functions can be expanded. Studying the Sturm-Liouville problem is a way of studying several ODEs all at once.

Thanks, was kind of aware of that, but which theorem for example would help me find just 1 eigenvalue OR eigenvector?

So S-L theory doesn't apply to solving ODE's, we still use the normal methods (separation, frobenius etc) to sove an ODE; we use S-L theory to study sets of related ODEs? Is this restricted to solutions of the same equation, EG showing them orthogonal? Or does it extend further?

ognik said:
Thanks, was kind of aware of that, but which theorem for example would help me find just 1 eigenvalue OR eigenvector?

Theory tells us that the general solution of [itex]\mathcal{L}y = \lambda y[/itex] is [itex]y(x) = a_1y_1(x) + a_2y_2(x)[/itex] for linearly independent solutions [itex]y_1[/itex] and [itex]y_2[/itex] and arbitrary constants [itex]a_1[/itex] and [itex]a_2[/itex]. Then we need to apply the self-adjoint boundary conditions, which state that a given linear combination of [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]y'[/itex] must vanish at each end point. If that forces [itex]a_1 = a_2 = 0[/itex] then [itex]\lambda[/itex] is not an eigenvalue. Otherwise [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue.

If for some reason there is no easy way to determine the values of [itex]y_1[/itex] and [itex]y_2[/itex] and their derivatives at the end points then it may necessary to use a numerical shooting method to find an eigenvalue and its corresponding eigenfunction simultaneously.

Occasionally we can make more analytical progress and deduce an algebraic equation which the eigenvalues must satisfy, but finding the solutions of that equation may require numerical root-finding techniques.

What is a Sturm-Liouville equation?

A Sturm-Liouville equation is a second-order linear differential equation that is commonly used to describe physical phenomena in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It has the form (p(x)y')' + q(x)y + λr(x)y = 0, where p(x), q(x), and r(x) are given functions and λ is a parameter.

What is the significance of solving Sturm-Liouville equations?

Solving Sturm-Liouville equations allows us to study and understand various physical phenomena in a mathematical framework. It also has numerous applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, heat transfer, and signal processing.

What are the steps involved in solving Sturm-Liouville equations?

The first step is to identify the given functions p(x), q(x), and r(x). Then, we use the properties of Sturm-Liouville equations to find the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. These eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are then used to construct the general solution of the equation.

What is the role of boundary conditions in solving Sturm-Liouville equations?

Boundary conditions are essential in solving Sturm-Liouville equations as they help us determine the specific eigenvalues and eigenfunctions that satisfy the given problem. These boundary conditions are often derived from the physical constraints of the problem.

What are some applications of Sturm-Liouville equations?

Sturm-Liouville equations are used in various fields such as quantum mechanics, heat transfer, signal processing, and vibration analysis. They are also applied in solving problems in mechanics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics.