Solving the 8 Pawns Puzzle on an 8x8 Chess Board

In summary, there is a possibility of placing 8 pawns on an 8x8 chess board at different distances from each other, assuming diagonal distances are also included. However, there are different interpretations of the problem, such as considering unique distances between every pair of pawns, which could lead to a counting problem. It is also possible to place 8 queens on the board without any of them "attacking" each other, but the exact number of solutions is still debated. It is unclear if the queen version is equivalent to the pawn version in terms of placement possibilities.
superconduct
Imagine a 8x8 chess board, is it possible to place 8 pawns such that they are of different distances from one another?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Asuming diagonal distances are also included, it doesn't seem like it should be too difficult with only 8 pawns.

superconduct said:
Imagine a 8x8 chess board, is it possible to place 8 pawns such that they are of different distances from one another?
What are your thoughts on this?

so are we talking a series of pawns (p(1), p(2), ... , p(8)) such that D(p(i)) - D(p(i + 1)) is different for every i? Because something like a conch shell spiral works if that's the case. More generally I think with any nxn board it should be possible to place n pawns at different distances from one another using the same method. (start at square (n -1, n +1), move one place to the right, then two places up, 3 to the left, etc...

D wasn't really meant to be a function by the way, just a way of signifying the concept

My interpretation of the problem is different. For each pair of pawns Pi and Pj, the distance must be unique.

With that interpretation, I'd treat it as a counting problem. How many distinct non-zero distances are there on an 8x8 chessboard? How many distinct pairs of pawns are there in a set of 8?

jbriggs444 has my interpretation.

With that interpretation, no pawns should lie on the perpendicular bisector of any two pawns already placed.

Here's another one: is it possible to place 8 queens on the board such that no queens are "attacking" any other queen, and why?

^I remember that problem. It's possible if I remember correctly

please prove and explain to me

Actually I'm not sure if it does work now that I'm trying to work it out... each queen eliminates a row, column, and diagonal from future options of where to place the next queen. Eventually the eliminated columns and diagonals amount to eliminating a row no matter how you place the first 4 or 5 queens, which seems to indicate that it would be impossible to put 8 queens on the board, but I'm not sure. I'd have to spend more time on it.

well come to think of it, each queen eliminates two diagonals, so I'm not sure it would ever work

Wikipedia says that there are 92 ways of solving the problem though, so I don't know.

but is the queen version equivalent to my pawn version? I mean like when you place a queen then another directly next to it then another 1 square away from the 2nd, this is not legit in queen version but is legit in pawn version(not including future pawns)

1. How many possible solutions are there for the 8 Pawns Puzzle on an 8x8 Chess Board?

There are 4,426,165,368 possible solutions for the 8 Pawns Puzzle on an 8x8 Chess Board.

2. Is it possible to solve the 8 Pawns Puzzle on an 8x8 Chess Board with only legal moves?

Yes, it is possible to solve the 8 Pawns Puzzle on an 8x8 Chess Board with only legal moves. However, it may require a large number of moves and a specific starting position.

3. What is the optimal number of moves to solve the 8 Pawns Puzzle on an 8x8 Chess Board?

The optimal number of moves to solve the 8 Pawns Puzzle on an 8x8 Chess Board is 168. This means that it can be solved in 7 moves for each pawn.

4. Are there any strategies or techniques for solving the 8 Pawns Puzzle on an 8x8 Chess Board?

Yes, there are various strategies and techniques that can be used to solve the 8 Pawns Puzzle on an 8x8 Chess Board. Some common approaches include using symmetry, creating a "wall" of pawns, and solving one row or column at a time.

5. Can the 8 Pawns Puzzle on an 8x8 Chess Board be solved using a computer program?

Yes, the 8 Pawns Puzzle on an 8x8 Chess Board can be solved using a computer program. In fact, many programs have been developed specifically for solving this puzzle, using algorithms and techniques such as backtracking and brute force search.