Solving the Slant Asymptote of $$\frac{{x}^{3}-5{x}^{2}+4x}{-4{x}^{2}+36}$$

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
In summary, the given equation has a slant asymptote of $-\frac{1}{4}x+b$, where $b$ is to be determined through polynomial long division. The quotient will be the asymptote, as the remainder will tend to zero for values of $x$ having great magnitude. Alternatively, the asymptote can be found by evaluating the limit of the simplified long division at infinity. The value of $b$ can be found by subtracting the product of the limit and $x$ from the limit itself.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$$\frac{{x}^{3}-5{x}^{2}+4x}{-4{x}^{2}+36 }$$

Has a slant asymtope of $mx+b$ of which I got $-\frac{1}{4}x+b$
I couldn't get the b

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you get if you perform polynomial long division? The quotient will be the asymptote, as the remainder will tend to zero for values of $x$ having great magnitude.

Alternatively,

\(\displaystyle y=mx+b\)

\(\displaystyle b=y-mx=\lim_{x\to\infty}\dfrac{x^3-5x^2+4x}{-4x^2+36}-\lim_{x\to\infty}-\dfrac x4\)

Simplify and evaluate the limit to find $b$. For other functions it may be necessary to evaluate $x\to-\infty$.

I divided but got $-5{x}^{2 }-13x$ for a remainder?

- - - Updated - - -

greg1313 said:
Alternatively,

\(\displaystyle y=mx+b\)

\(\displaystyle b=y-mx=\lim_{x\to\infty}\dfrac{x^3-5x^2+4x}{-4x^2+36}-\lim_{x\to\infty}-\dfrac x4\)

Simplify and evaluate the limit to find $b$. For other functions it may be necessary to evaluate $x\to-\infty$.

This is an exercise before limits are introduced

I still don't know what $b$ is?

Let's look at the long division:

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{r}-\tfrac{1}{4}x+\tfrac{5}{4}\\-4x^2+0x+36\enclose{longdiv}{x^3-5x^2+4x+0} \\ -\underline{\left(x^3+0x^2-9x\right)} \hspace{22px} \\ -5x^2+13x+0 \\ -\underline{\left(-5x^2+0x+45\right)} \hspace{-12px} \\ 13x-45 \hspace{-5px} \end{array}\)

Thus, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^3-5x^2+4x}{-4x^2+36}=-\frac{1}{4}x+\frac{5}{4}+\frac{13x-45}{-4x^2+36}\)

Now, notice the remainder (linear) over the divisor (quadratic) will tend to zero for values of $x$ having great magnitude, thus the oblique asymptote is the line:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{1}{4}x+\frac{5}{4}\)

Mark is correct; \(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{4}x+\frac{5}{4}\).
When I do the long division, I usually like to verify my answer as such:
\(\displaystyle (-4x^2+36)(-\frac{1}{4}x+\frac{5}{4})+(13x-45)=x^3-5x^2+4x\)

i was curious about the latex for long division

1. What is a slant asymptote?

A slant asymptote is a straight line that a graph approaches as the x-values increase or decrease without bound. It is also known as an oblique asymptote.

2. How do I find the slant asymptote of a rational function?

To find the slant asymptote of a rational function, you need to divide the numerator by the denominator using long division. The resulting quotient will be the equation of the slant asymptote.

3. Can a rational function have more than one slant asymptote?

No, a rational function can have at most one slant asymptote. If the degree of the numerator is greater than the degree of the denominator by exactly one, then there will be a slant asymptote. If the degrees are equal, then there will be a horizontal asymptote instead.

4. What does the slant asymptote represent?

The slant asymptote represents the long-term behavior of the rational function. It shows the direction in which the graph will approach as the x-values increase or decrease without bound.

5. How do I graph a rational function with a slant asymptote?

To graph a rational function with a slant asymptote, first plot any intercepts and asymptotes. Then, use the equation of the slant asymptote as a guide to draw the graph. Finally, plot a few points on either side of the asymptote to complete the graph.