Solving the Spring Balance Problem: Work Done Stretching 5.0-12.2in

In summary: TylendaIn summary, the problem involves finding the work done in stretching a spring from a length of 5.0in to 12.2in. The constant K is solved for by using the given measurements and the work equation is integrated from 5.0in to 12.2in. The work is calculated by multiplying the constant K by the integral of x from 5.0in to 12.2in.
thehsheepdog
Hi all,

I could use some assistance with the following problem.

"The spring of a spring balance is 5.0in. long when there is no weight on the balance, and it is 9.6in. long with 8.0 lb hung from the balance. How much work is done stretching it from 5.0in to 12.2in?"

So far, I know to take the constant by solving for K:

\(\displaystyle 9.6=8.0k\) which \(\displaystyle =1.2\)

Then, I know that this problem needs to be integrated from 5.0 to 12.2 inches

\(\displaystyle \int_5^{12.2}\)

And this is where I am stumped. I don't know if I am integrating the constant (K) or something else?Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
thehsheepdog said:
Hi all,

I could use some assistance with the following problem.

"The spring of a spring balance is 5.0in. long when there is no weight on the balance, and it is 9.6in. long with 8.0 lb hung from the balance. How much work is done stretching it from 5.0in to 12.2in?"

So far, I know to take the constant by solving for K:

\(\displaystyle 9.6=8.0k\) which \(\displaystyle =1.2\)

Then, I know that this problem needs to be integrated from 5.0 to 12.2 inches

\(\displaystyle \int_5^{12.2}\)

And this is where I am stumped. I don't know if I am integrating the constant (K) or something else?Thank you for your help.
Work done by a variable force is given by
\(\displaystyle \int \textbf{F} \cdot d \textbf{s}\)

In this case \(\displaystyle \textbf{F} = -k \textbf{x}\), where the positive direction is defined in the direction of the compression of the spring. Since you are stretching the spring F is in the direction of the compression and x is in the direction of the stretch, \(\displaystyle \textbf{F} \cdot d \textbf{s}\) is always positive. So:
\(\displaystyle W = \int_{5}^{12.2} -k \textbf{x} \cdot d \textbf{x} = k \int_5^{12.2}x~dx\)

\(\displaystyle W = \left . \frac{1}{2}kx^2 \middle | _{5}^{12.2} \right .\)

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving the Spring Balance Problem: Work Done Stretching 5.0-12.2in

What is the Spring Balance Problem?

The Spring Balance Problem refers to the calculation of work done when stretching a spring between 5.0-12.2 inches. This problem is commonly used in physics and engineering to understand the relationship between force, displacement, and work.

How do you solve the Spring Balance Problem?

To solve the Spring Balance Problem, you need to follow these steps:

• Measure the initial length of the spring (5.0 inches) and the final length after stretching (12.2 inches).
  • Calculate the change in length (12.2-5.0 = 7.2 inches).
  • Determine the force applied to stretch the spring using a spring balance or force sensor.
  • Apply the formula: Work = Force x Displacement, where force is measured in Newtons and displacement is measured in meters.
  • Convert the displacement from inches to meters (7.2 inches = 0.18288 meters).
  • Multiply the force by the displacement to get the work done in Joules.

Why is the Spring Balance Problem important?

The Spring Balance Problem is important because it helps us understand the concept of work in physics and engineering. It also allows us to calculate the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied to stretch a spring, which has practical applications in fields such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation.

What are some real-world examples of the Spring Balance Problem?

The Spring Balance Problem can be seen in various real-world examples, such as:

• Measuring the work done by a spring when a weight is hung from it.
  • Calculating the energy required to compress or stretch a spring in a car's suspension system.
  • Determining the force needed to stretch a rubber band on a slingshot.
  • Measuring the force and work done when pulling back a bowstring.

How can the Spring Balance Problem be applied to other situations?

The Spring Balance Problem can be applied to other situations involving the relationship between force, displacement, and work. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done when stretching a rubber band, or to determine the energy transferred when pushing a shopping cart. The same principles and formula can be applied to any situation where a force is applied to displace an object or material.