Solving tri-linear interpolation parameters

In summary, to interpolate a point C within a hexahedron of trilinear parameters (Xd, Yd, Zd), you use the tri-linear equation: R = ((1-Yd) * (p000 * (1-Xd) + p100 * Xd ) + (p010 * (1-Xd) + p110 * Xd ) * Yd) * (1-Zd) + ((1-Yd) * (p001 * (1-Xd) + p101 * Xd ) + (p011 * (1-Xd) + p111 * Xd ) * Yd) * Zd; where R is
aadster
I'm trying to find the tri-linear interpolation parameters of a point C within a hexahedron of 3d vectors (C000, C100, C010, C011 etc)

You could call this "inverse tri-linear interpolation"

Ive used the same variable names as this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilinear_interpolation

if Xd, Yd & Zd are the 0..1 trilinear parameters for x,y & z respectively, how can I solve the equations for these parameters? The interpolated point C is known.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
to break this down further, this is the tri-linear equation.

R = ((1-Yd) * (p000 * (1-Xd) + p100 * Xd ) + (p010 * (1-Xd) + p110 * Xd ) * Yd) * (1-Zd) +
((1-Yd) * (p001 * (1-Xd) + p101 * Xd ) + (p011 * (1-Xd) + p111 * Xd ) * Yd) * Zd;

where R is tri-linear interpolated result,
P000-P111 are the 8 points of a hexahedron that define the 3D interpolation space
R and P can be either scalar or vector

Xd, Yd, and Zd are scalars and are the tri-lin parameters I am trying to find

Known:
When Xd,Yd & Zd = 0, R = p000 and when Xd,Yd & Zd = 1, R = p111 etc

Clearly there are some degenerate cases here, but my maths is a little rusty and I am finding tricky to solve for R... any ideas? Thanks!

I'll add to this as I progress, but interestingly Wolfram Alpha could only solve this for the simplest factor Z: (only 2 occurances)

Z = (a X Y+a (-X)-a Y+a-b X Y+b X-c X Y+c Y+d X Y-R)/(a X Y+a (-X)-a Y+a-b X Y+b X-c X Y+c Y+d X Y-e X Y+e X+e Y-e+f X Y-f X+g X Y-g Y-h X Y)

Since factors a-h form a cube of values, I can swap them around to create two other equations in the exact form above wrt X and Y.

Assuming I have all 3 equations, what is the safest way to combine all 3 equations to calculate X, Y & Z?

1. How does tri-linear interpolation work?

Tri-linear interpolation is a mathematical method used to estimate values between three known data points. It involves finding the weighted average of the values at the three points, based on their distance from the point where the estimation is needed.

2. What is the purpose of solving tri-linear interpolation parameters?

The purpose of solving tri-linear interpolation parameters is to accurately estimate values at any point within a three-dimensional grid or space, based on known data points. This is useful in various fields such as computer graphics, geology, and engineering.

3. What are the three parameters involved in tri-linear interpolation?

The three parameters involved in tri-linear interpolation are the x, y, and z coordinates of the point where the estimation is needed. These coordinates determine the three data points that will be used in the interpolation calculation.

4. How is tri-linear interpolation different from bi-linear interpolation?

Bi-linear interpolation works in two dimensions, while tri-linear interpolation works in three dimensions. Bi-linear interpolation estimates values along a straight line between two known data points, while tri-linear interpolation takes into account the distance from three data points to estimate values within a three-dimensional space.

5. Are there any limitations to using tri-linear interpolation?

One limitation of tri-linear interpolation is that it assumes a linear relationship between data points, which may not always be the case. It also requires a regular grid of data points, and may not be suitable for irregularly spaced data. Additionally, tri-linear interpolation may produce inaccurate results if there are large differences in the data values between the three data points used in the calculation.