How Do You Solve These Trigonometric Identities?

In summary, to solve for this identity, you can either multiply the left side by sinx/sinx or the right side by cscx/cscx. Remember that cotx = cosx/sinx and cscx = 1/sinx.
fluffertoes
How do you do this one? I can't figure it out!
(2 - 5cot x) / (2 + 5cos x) = (2sin x - 5cos x) / (2sin x + 5cos x)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you've copied it correctly? It appears to me that the actual identity should be:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2-5\cot(x)}{2+5\cot(x)}=\frac{2\sin(x)-5\cos(x)}{2\sin(x)+5\cos(x)}\)

fluffertoes said:
How do you do this one? I can't figure it out!
(2 - 5cot x) / (2 + 5cot x) = (2sin x - 5cos x) / (2sin x + 5cos x)

fixedtwo ways to go

1) multiply left side by sinx/sinx

or

2) multiply right side by cscx/cscx

recall cotx = cosx/sinx and cscx = 1/sinx

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions and are always true, regardless of the value of the variable.

2. Why is it important to solve trig identities?

Solving trig identities helps simplify complex trigonometric expressions and make them easier to work with in mathematical calculations.

3. What are some common trig identities?

Some common trig identities include Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

4. How do you solve trig identities?

There are several methods for solving trig identities, including using algebraic manipulations, substitution, and converting to equivalent forms. Practicing and memorizing common identities can also be helpful.

5. Why do trig identities sometimes have multiple solutions?

Trig identities can have multiple solutions because some trigonometric functions are periodic, meaning they repeat their values in a specific interval. This can result in multiple solutions that satisfy the identity.