Some music pieces same/similar from the same artist

• Music
  • Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, some pieces of music with different titles but from the same artist seem essentially the same music/or song but just different names. Two examples were given, one with a saxophone and one without, and another with a similar but different title. It could be argued that Kurt Vonnegut, a fellow midwesterner and Cornellian and a personal hero, wrote the same book again and again. He used the same phrase over and over, "So it goes." In addition, John Grisham and Spider Robinson are two other authors who are known for writing the same book many times.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
A better forum for this should be in an entirely different one, not PF, but dedicated to music.

Some pieces of music with different titles but from the same artist seem essentially the same music/or song but just different names. I believe I found two examples:

Spudnik, and Surf Rider (Nokie Edwards, and the Ventures?). The original was Spudnik, and later when a saxophone was included, it seemed to be named Surf Rider.

Fatback, and Ace of Spades, and Vernon's Diamond. and-forgot-the-other-name. Link Wray. NOT the one (Ace of Spades) by Motorhead, which is way completely different.

I'll come back to edit this when I find that other name.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
PG Wodehouse once wrote a short story about a golf game twice. Same plot, same characters, just superficial change.

An ice hockey goalie who had a tumor that caused him to produce female hormones wrote the same book twice.

I have been told that Jack Chalker wrote the same book many times.

Whenever I see any author with sixty books lined up I figure that they are all the same. That's the only way you can write that fast.

symbolipoint said:
A better forum for this should be in an entirely different once, not PF, but dedicated to music.

Some pieces of music with different titles but from the same artist seem essentially the same music/or song but just different names. I believe I found two examples:

Spudnik, and Surf Rider (Nokie Edwards, and the Ventures?). The original was Spudnik, and later when a saxophone was included, it seemed to be named Surf Rider.

Fatback, and Ace of Spades, and Vernon's Diamond. and-forgot-the-other-name. Link Wray. NOT the one (Ace of Spades) by Motorhead, which is way completely different.

I'll come back to edit this when I find that other name.
Lady Ga Ga. Had a big hit with "Poker face." Subsequent hit sounded very similar.

It could be argued that Kurt Vonnegut (fellow midwesterner and Cornellian and a personal hero) wrote the same book again and again. While certainly not literally true, I think it may be the norm for many great artists.

hutchphd said:
It could be argued that Kurt Vonnegut (fellow midwesterner and Cornellian and a personal hero) wrote the same book again and again. While certainly not literally true, I think it may be the norm for many great artists.
He certainly used the same phrase over and over.
"So it goes" 106 times in Slaughter house 5.

Hornbein said:
I have been told that Jack Chalker wrote the same book many times.
I don't recall that (read much Chalker many moons ago), but I'd nominate John Grisham.

Or, Spider Robinson : I swear the last 20 pages of almost every book, I'm thinking "Is this a two-parter?", then he segues into "and then they all got stoned, mind melded and saved the world". Sortof annoying since they're otherwise quite edible with a decent tempo.

symbolipoint said:
Add to that "popin' popeye", also seems to be the same as those other three.

update:
I found a bit of further information on this. This link tells a little of how or why different names for the same or nearly same pieces of music: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10759
Not clear is what determined these different names other than what seem like whim.

1. Why do some music pieces from the same artist sound similar?

There are a few reasons why some music pieces from the same artist may sound similar. One reason could be the artist's unique style or sound that they have developed over time. Another reason could be the use of similar instruments, melodies, or production techniques in their music. Additionally, artists may intentionally create a cohesive sound across their music to establish a brand or identity.

2. Is it common for artists to reuse elements in their music?

Yes, it is common for artists to reuse elements in their music. This can be seen as a way for artists to stay true to their signature sound and maintain their fan base. It can also be a way for artists to experiment and build upon their previous work.

3. How can artists keep their music from sounding too similar?

Artists can keep their music from sounding too similar by incorporating new elements and styles into their music. This can include collaborating with other artists, experimenting with different genres, or using unique instrumentation. It's important for artists to continue evolving and pushing their boundaries to keep their music fresh and interesting.

4. Do artists ever intentionally make their music sound similar to previous works?

Yes, artists may intentionally make their music sound similar to previous works for a variety of reasons. It could be to maintain their brand and fan base, or to create a sense of familiarity for their listeners. Some artists may also use similar elements as a tribute to their past work or as a way to show growth and progression in their music.

5. Are there any downsides to artists having similar sounding music?

While there may be some downsides to artists having similar sounding music, such as criticism for lack of originality, it ultimately depends on the individual artist and their fan base. Some artists may thrive with a consistent sound, while others may face challenges in standing out in a crowded music industry. It's important for artists to find a balance between staying true to their sound and continuing to evolve as musicians.

Back