Some problems with mole fraction

In summary, the mole fraction of the products means how many atoms of each substance are in the product. The Attempt at a Solution explains how the mole fraction is used to find the answer to a problem.
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

upload_2015-10-24_23-34-53.png

Homework Equations

not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I'm a bit confused as to what the mole fraction of the products mean. Can someone explain? Is it something to do about the total number of carbon and hydrogen atoms in methane, ethene and propene?

Just can't figure this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mole fraction is

[tex]\frac {number~of~moles~of~the~substance}{total~number~of~moles~of~all~substances~present}[/tex]

Borek said:
Mole fraction is

[tex]\frac {number~of~moles~of~the~substance}{total~number~of~moles~of~all~substances~present}[/tex]
Could you give me a hint as how this information can be used in finding X? I have no clue.

To be honest, I have no clue either. The only way to solve is to make some false assumptions about how the cracking process works - that is, to assume it is possible tow rite a simple reaction equation. That is not correct - stoichiometry of cracking is rather messy and doesn't follow simple equations, overall reaction equation will contain plenty of fractional coefficients - not because it follows some other chemistry rules, but because overall process is a combination of many different parallel reactions going at the same time and competing. Plus, it is not clear if the mole fraction takes into account produced hydrogen or not (if there are alkenes produced, hydrogen must be present between products, yet it is not listed).

I think I could be able to prove each of the answers to be the right one. Futile exercise.

Borek said:
To be honest, I have no clue either. The only way to solve is to make some false assumptions about how the cracking process works - that is, to assume it is possible tow rite a simple reaction equation. That is not correct - stoichiometry of cracking is rather messy and doesn't follow simple equations, overall reaction equation will contain plenty of fractional coefficients - not because it follows some other chemistry rules, but because overall process is a combination of many different parallel reactions going at the same time and competing. Plus, it is not clear if the mole fraction takes into account produced hydrogen or not (if there are alkenes produced, hydrogen must be present between products, yet it is not listed).

I think I could be able to prove each of the answers to be the right one. Futile exercise.
Oh I see. Well the answer is B, if it helps any. I've been trying to see how the mole fraction given is used to get that answer.

If they think the answer is B they probably mean the cracking goes like

X → methane + 2 ethene + propene

so X contains 1 +2*2+3 = 8 atoms of carbon.

But if the reaction is

X → 2 methane + 3 ethene + propene

X contains 2*1 + 3*2 + 3 = 11 atoms of carbon and the answer is D.

Borek said:
If they think the answer is B they probably mean the cracking goes like

X → methane + 2 ethene + propene

so X contains 1 +2*2+3 = 8 atoms of carbon.

But if the reaction is

X → 2 methane + 3 ethene + propene

X contains 2*1 + 3*2 + 3 = 11 atoms of carbon and the answer is D.
Oh...ok. Thanks for your time.

1. What is mole fraction and why is it important in science?

Mole fraction is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to express the amount of a substance in a mixture. It is important because it helps us understand the composition of a mixture and calculate the properties of the components.

2. How do you calculate mole fraction?

Mole fraction is calculated by dividing the number of moles of a specific component in a mixture by the total number of moles in the mixture.

3. Can mole fraction be greater than 1?

No, mole fraction cannot be greater than 1. It is a ratio of moles and therefore, its value will always be between 0 and 1.

4. What are some common problems with using mole fraction?

One common problem with mole fraction is that it assumes ideal behavior of gases, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Another problem is that it does not take into account the size or density of particles in a mixture.

5. How is mole fraction different from mass fraction?

Mole fraction is a measure of the number of moles in a mixture, while mass fraction is a measure of the mass of each component in a mixture. Mole fraction is a unitless quantity, while mass fraction is typically expressed as a percentage or in parts per million (ppm).