Some simple heat transfer formula derivations and questions

In summary: The text preceding the formula for the Biot number, it becomes apparent that V is the volume of the body and As is the surface area of same. (See Section 4-1). By dividing volume by surface area, you are left with a "length" Lc, dimensionally speaking, which is taken as the characteristic length of this body. If the Biot No. is low, then the heat transfer characteristics can be treated using the lumped system analysis.For a cylindrical object, As is the surface area of the entire cylinder.
mech-eng
Hi. I would like to ask a simple question. Here is the link of the file I study on. Immediately before the formula 4.9 for Biot number. Lc=V/As but I cannot understand it and I think it is not clear enough. How it appears, for what the word "characteristic" stands for, for example a pipe? For what V and As stands for?
Is that characteristic length for only "spherical objects" or it is valid for cylindrical objects?
File: http://kntu.ac.ir/DorsaPax/userfiles/file/Mechanical/OstadFile/Sayyalat/Bazargan/cen58933_ch04.pdf

Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
Hi. I would like to ask a simple question. Here is the link of the file I study on. Immediately before the formula 4.9 for Biot number. Lc=V/As but I cannot understand it and I think it is not clear enough. How it appears, for what the word "characteristic" stands for, for example a pipe? For what V and As stands for?
Is that characteristic length for only "spherical objects" or it is valid for cylindrical objects?
File: http://kntu.ac.ir/DorsaPax/userfiles/file/Mechanical/OstadFile/Sayyalat/Bazargan/cen58933_ch04.pdf

Thanks.
If you read the text preceding the formula for the Biot number, it becomes apparent that V is the volume of the body and As is the surface area of same. (See Section 4-1). By dividing volume by surface area, you are left with a "length" Lc, dimensionally speaking, which is taken as the characteristic length of this body. If the Biot No. is low, then the heat transfer characteristics can be treated using the lumped system analysis.

As far as what Lc is for a cylindrical object, I leave that calculation to you, since the quantities of interest have been explained.

The word "characteristic" in this context just means how you decide to treat the subsequent analysis, i.e., whether the lumped system is accurate or not.

For example, in calculating the Reynolds No. for internal pipe flow, the characteristic length to use is the inside diameter for circular pipes. If you are calculating the Reynolds No. for flow over an airfoil, you would use the chord length of the airfoil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number

Likes BvU
Clearly, V is volume and As is surface area. Figure 4-6 indeed shows a sphere yielding D/6, but the expression can be used for a cylinder too: it gives D/4 if you can ignore the ends. In my imagination Lc is something like the average distance to the surface.
For a pipe shape you'd get thickness/2 (*) -- but I have a hard time thinking of a practical application: a reaction in the space between two concentrical pipes or something.

(*)
##\ \pi r_o^2\ - \ \pi r_i^2\ \over 2\pi r_o + 2 \pi r_i## with ##\ r_o = r_i + d = r + d \ ## this becomes ##\ {2\pi r d \over 4 \pi r} = d/2 ## (ignoring terms d2/r and higher)

Your question is good: wiki makes a mess of it and I hope someone can point us to a more extensive treatment. I looked in Carslaw and Jaeger ('standard reference') and didn't even find Biot mentioned.

1. What is the formula for calculating heat transfer?

The formula for calculating heat transfer is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the object, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. How is heat transfer affected by the type of material?

The type of material affects heat transfer through its specific heat capacity, which is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of the material by 1 degree Celsius. Materials with higher specific heat capacities require more heat to raise their temperatures, resulting in slower heat transfer.

3. What is the difference between conduction, convection, and radiation?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, such as heat from the sun.

4. How does the surface area of an object affect heat transfer?

The larger the surface area of an object, the more heat can be transferred. This is because a larger surface area allows for more contact with the surrounding environment, resulting in more efficient heat transfer.

5. What is the role of insulation in heat transfer?

Insulation helps to reduce heat transfer by creating a barrier between two objects with different temperatures. This barrier prevents heat from escaping or entering, thus maintaining a constant temperature. Materials with low thermal conductivity, such as wool or foam, are good insulators.