Sound propagation with altitude/height

In summary, the conversation revolves around the impact of outside noise on a 3-floor building with equal sound isolation throughout. The discussion mentions two scenarios: with windows opened and with windows closed. The question is whether the people living on the 1st floor would be more affected by the sound compared to the people on the 2nd floor. Factors such as the force applied, impedance, and the normal force are brought up. The conversation also mentions the distance of the noise source from the building, temperature profile, and sound refraction in air. There is a question about whether this is a homework question or related to a legal case, as well as an inquiry about the person's existing knowledge on sound propagation in air and solids. The conversation
williamcarter
Let's say we have a 3 floor/level building , and someone is making noise outside, i.e: Playing guitar, given that all the building has the same sound isolation everywhere, what can you say about the sound propagation? we have 2 cases a) when windows opened b) when windows closed

Will the people living on 1st floor will be more affected by sound(will they hear it more intense), compared with the people living on 2nd floor, will there be any difference in terms of noise?

Thank you in advance.
Untitled.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Something to think about: If you toss a tennis ball at a first floor window and then at a second floor window, what factors go into how loud the resulting sound would be inside the two rooms?

Likes williamcarter
Is this a 1. A homework question or 2. Prelude to a legal case?
What do you already know about sound propagation in air and in solids?
PS are there any other large buildings nearby?

Likes williamcarter
phinds said:
Something to think about: If you toss a tennis ball at a first floor window and then at a second floor window, what factors go into how loud the resulting sound would be inside the two rooms?
The pressure/ force aplied, impedance I guess?

sophiecentaur said:
Is this a 1. A homework question or 2. Prelude to a legal case?
What do you already know about sound propagation in air and in solids?
PS are there any other large buildings nearby?
It is just a thinking question I asked myself, no building nearby. I would have assumed that at 2nd floor the sound/noise should be less than at 1st floor. I thought as height increases(this case by 4 m) the sound usually propagates in the solid and it is reflected back, so it will take longer to propagate to greater heights/altitudes?

williamcarter said:
The pressure/ force aplied, impedance I guess?
I mean SPECIFICALLY. What is the action of the ball on each window? Hint: think about the normal force.

Likes williamcarter
phinds said:
I mean SPECIFICALLY. What is the action of the ball on each window? Hint: think about the normal force.
I can think just about the pressure that is applied on the window, to hit the 2nd floor it would require more force in order to reach

phinds said:
Where is this going? Are you comparing 'mgh' energy loss with 1/r2loss?
I am a bit confused by the OP. Are we being asked to help predict something or will he come up with an situation that is producing louder noise on floor 2 than on floor 1? It seems such a no-brainer to say the lower floor will get more via any route / mechanism that there has to be an evil catch to bring us crashing to the ground. :eek:

Likes williamcarter
sophiecentaur said:
I am a bit confused by the OP. Are we being asked to help predict something or will he come up with an situation that is producing louder noise on floor 2 than on floor 1? It seems such a no-brainer to say the lower floor will get more via any route / mechanism that there has to be an evil catch to bring us crashing to the ground. :eek:
My question was , given that we have a building in open air , isolated everywhere same , and an outside noise occurring, where will the noise have the biggest impact
a) 1st floor
b)2nd floor which is 4 m above 1st floor
c) it won t be any difference in noise

williamcarter said:
My question was , given that we have a building in open air , isolated everywhere same , and an outside noise occurring, where will the noise have the biggest impact
a) 1st floor
b)2nd floor which is 4 m above 1st floor
c) it won t be any difference in noise
and what do you think and why?

Likes williamcarter
williamcarter said:
, and an outside noise occurring,
That's very relevant. The distance of the source from the building would / could be relevant and also the temperature profile of the air around the building could have an effect. You can get refraction of sounds through air just as you can get it with light, although just 4m is not far.
I second phinds and would be interested to know what your ideas are about the subject.

Likes williamcarter
phinds said:
and what do you think and why?
It won't be any difference in noise between the 2 floors/levels right?

sophiecentaur said:
That's very relevant. The distance of the source from the building would / could be relevant and also the temperature profile of the air around the building could have an effect. You can get refraction of sounds through air just as you can get it with light, although just 4m is not far.
I second phinds and would be interested to know what your ideas are about the subject.
The distance from the building let's say about 3-4 meters , temperature constant at like 20 degrees Celsius, building not surrounded by anything, but has same phonic isolation everywhere.

I think that there won't be any difference in noise between the 2 floors, so if someone is having a party on the ground floor, the 1st and 2nd floors will hear the same noise(no difference in the noise intensity between the 2 floors that are 4 m apart in height.)

williamcarter said:
The distance from the building let's say about 3-4 meters
That is very close. Where is it positioned vertically? You need to specify the problem much more tightly if you expect to get an answer.
williamcarter said:
if someone is having a party on the ground floor, the 1st and 2nd floors will hear the same noise
That is a very unlikely thing to happen. What about the fact that the sound has to travel through the thickness of two floors, as opposed to one thickness of floor? You need to think again about what's actually happening. Why not read a bit about techniques for sound proofing buildings? Google is full of links. It's only necessary to read one or two to find something appropriate for your level.

Likes williamcarter
sophiecentaur said:
That is very close. Where is it positioned vertically? You need to specify the problem much more tightly if you expect to get an answer.

That is a very unlikely thing to happen. What about the fact that the sound has to travel through the thickness of two floors, as opposed to one thickness of floor? You need to think again about what's actually happening. Why not read a bit about techniques for sound proofing buildings? Google is full of links. It's only necessary to read one or two to find something appropriate for your level.

Thanks for the quick reply.

sophiecentaur said:

Say about a distance of 10-12meters away from the building

sophiecentaur said:

Now you confused me, so you are saying the people on the first floor will be more affected than those on the 2nd floor?
I just want a detailed answer: If someone is having a party on the ground floor 10 meters away from the building, is it true that the people on 2nd floor will be less affected due to the greater thickness that the sound needs to go through?(2 levels of thickness) compared with 1?

How is it correct with regards to the noise(1st floor vs 2nd floor) ? What is the correct answer and why?

williamcarter said:
I think that there won't be any difference in noise between the 2 floors, so if someone is having a party on the ground floor, the 1st and 2nd floors will hear the same noise(no difference in the noise intensity between the 2 floors that are 4 m apart in height.)

that's incorrect the more floors/ceilings the sound travels through the more attenuated the sound will get
anyway, that is a different issue compared to an outside sound
Ignoring minor air pressure/temperature differences with height, and the building insulating being constant, there is
only one that that will affect the sound level ( assuming an Omni-direction sound source)

have you figured out what that is yet ?

Likes williamcarter
davenn said:
that's incorrect the more floors/ceilings the sound travels through the more attenuated the sound will get
anyway, that is a different issue compared to an outside sound
Ignoring minor air pressure/temperature differences with height, and the building insulating being constant, there is
only one that that will affect the sound level ( assuming an Omni-direction sound source)

have you figured out what that is yet ?
The sound was coming from the exterior not from the interior, was coming from outside the building, how will this affect the noise with regards to the 1st and 2nd floor? Will be there any difference?

williamcarter said:
The sound was coming from the exterior not from the interior, was coming from outside the building, how will this affect the noise between the 1st and 2nd floor? Will be there any difference?

as I said, yes there will and assuming the things that I stated ... what is the only thing left that will affect the sound level at each location ?

Likes williamcarter
davenn said:
as I said, yes there will and assuming the things that I stated ... what is the only thing left that will affect the sound level at each location ?
So the sound comes from outside the building, and it will get atenuated until it reaches 2nd floor right, I mean the people inside the building on the 2nd floor will hear less noise than those on the 1st floor right?But how exactly, and why? There are 4 meters between the 2 floors.

I can think just about temperature/pressure difference between the 2 floors, and obviously the height.

williamcarter said:
I can think just about temperature/pressure difference between the 2 floors,

as I said, the temp/press differences over that height are minor and not worth worrying about

what factor specifically does height play in it
if it is higher it is ___________ from the source, therefore the sound is more ___________

you fill in the blanks

Likes williamcarter
davenn said:
as I said, the temp/press differences over that height are minor and not worth worrying about

what factor specifically does height play in it
if it is higher it is ___________ from the source, therefore the sound is more ___________

you fill in the blanks
If it is higher is has a greater distance from the source, therefore the sound/noise is less.

But is it such a big difference given that there is 4m between the 2 floors?

When I said there will be less noise on 2nd floor , SophieCentaur laughed at me on post #8

williamcarter said:
If it is higher is has a greater distance from the source, therefore the sound/noise is less.

YES and it is more attenuated

williamcarter said:
But is it such a big difference given that there is 4m between the 2 floors?

naaa, by ear probably not noticeable ... but may be measured with sensitive sound meter

if you were to compare over a much further distance ... 10, 20 floors or more then you would start hearing a signif difference

Likes williamcarter
davenn said:
YES
naaa, by ear probably not noticeable ... but may be measured with sensitive sound meter

if you were to compare over a much further distance ... 10, 20 floors or more then you would start hearing a signif difference
sophiecentaur said:

What about this?

williamcarter said:
What about this?

that wasn't me ... I really don't know what he was getting at ? don't worry about it

the bolded bit was the important part, for the reason you have now discovered :smile:Dave

Likes williamcarter
davenn said:
that wasn't me ... I really don't know what he was getting at ? don't worry about it

the bolded bit was the important part, for the reason you have now discovered :smile:Dave
Thank you.

Likes davenn
@williamcarter I already GAVE you the solution by asking the question that I did I post #6. You have not answered it. We don't spoon-feed answer here we try to help people figure out how to GET answers themselves.

phinds said:
@williamcarter I already GAVE you the solution by asking the question that I did I post #6. You have not answered it. We don't spoon-feed answer here we try to help people figure out how to GET answers themselves.

As with Sophi, I was a wondering where that was going ... it may have confused William

Anyway, I gave hints that led him through to thinking it out for himself
took a little longer but got there in the end :smile:

davenn said:
As with Sophi, I was a wondering where that was going ... it may have confused William

Anyway, I gave hints that led him through to thinking it out for himself
took a little longer but got there in the end :smile:
I think both you and he are still overlooking the point of my question about the normal force.

davenn said:
Can you be sure of that? The temperature near the ground can be several degrees higher than at a few metres (hot ground after a day's sun). That could have the effect of tilting the waves upwards. This would only apply significantly for a distant sound source.
However, if the sound source is in the middle distance that is proposed by the OP, we are in the most difficult situation for any rough calculation.
The OP can easily draw a diagram with the distances he has specified and (Pythagoras) work out the difference in distances to the two floors. Using the inverse square law (crude, I know) he can work out the relative 'spreading loss' from source to the two windows. This effect will be less and less as the source moves away.
williamcarter said:
I just want a detailed answer:
To get a detailed answer, you need a detailed specification of the situation, which you haven't supplied. Can we reduce the problem to the sound against two windows at different levels? If the sound source is outside, then there won't be much sound transmitted through the floors.

1. How does sound travel at higher altitudes?

At higher altitudes, the air is less dense, which means that sound waves have less molecules to travel through. This results in a decrease in the speed of sound, making it travel slower than at lower altitudes.

2. Can sound be heard at higher altitudes?

Yes, sound can still be heard at higher altitudes, but it may be fainter due to the decrease in air density. However, other factors such as wind and temperature can also affect the audibility of sound at higher altitudes.

3. How does temperature affect sound propagation at higher altitudes?

Temperature plays a significant role in sound propagation at higher altitudes. As temperature decreases with altitude, the speed of sound also decreases. This is because colder air molecules have less kinetic energy, making it harder for sound waves to travel through them.

4. Is sound affected by air pressure at higher altitudes?

Yes, air pressure also affects sound propagation at higher altitudes. As air pressure decreases with altitude, the molecules in the air are more spread out, making it more difficult for sound waves to travel through. This further contributes to the decrease in the speed of sound at higher altitudes.

5. How does sound propagation at higher altitudes affect communication?

The decrease in air density, speed of sound, and other atmospheric conditions at higher altitudes can impact communication. It may result in distorted or muffled sound, making it difficult to understand or interpret. This is why communication systems used in airplanes and other high-altitude environments are specially designed to overcome these challenges.