Sound Wave Energy loss question

In summary: The 8 cm wavelength is too large for the thickness of the aluminum so some losses will occur. The thinner aluminum would be better for this application.
nst.john
Hello everyone!

I am currently working on a project where I have a piezoelectric sound transducer connected to a glass tube via an aluminum disc. I got two aluminum discs with one twice the thickness as the other. I wanted to know which aluminum disc would work best, the thin one or the thick one, to transfer sound from the transducer to the tube. The tube will be filled with water as well if that makes any difference. Thank you for your help and hope to hear from somebody soon!

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help to know more about the geometry and desired frequency. Which medium the sound waves are to propagate in the glass or the water? In general the coupling between materials will depend on the change in wavelength between the two materials. If the wavelength in a material is long compared to the dimensions or small? Even with all this I would still have to lookup the reflection coefficient as a function frequency and so forth.

The geometry of the glass is an outside diameter of 100mm, wall thickness of 5mm and a length of 415mm. The desired frequency is 40kHz approximately but we will be working in a range between 20-60kHz. The sound waves are to propogate in the water.

Great, a quick Google gives the range of sound speed in aluminum as 3100 to 6400 m/s. I assume that this is dependent on the alloy selected. The sound speed in water is 1484 m/s. As a general rule of thumb is to match as closely as possible the speed of sound in the two medium. I would select an aluminum closer to 3100 m/s. I would also neglect the tube for now. At 40kH the wavelength is 8ish cm. This is much larger than the aluminum thickness. So I would go with the thinner of the two to minimize losses which I'm guessing are small in aluminum.

Thank you very much for all of your help. That answer helps with everything!

The 3100 m/s is probably the speed of the transverse waves in aluminum.

1. What is Sound Wave Energy Loss?

Sound wave energy loss refers to the decrease in the intensity or loudness of a sound as it travels through a medium, such as air or water. This loss of energy is caused by factors such as absorption, scattering, and reflection of sound waves.

2. What causes Sound Wave Energy Loss?

Sound wave energy loss can be caused by various factors, including the distance that the sound travels, the characteristics of the medium it travels through, and the properties of the sound itself. For example, sound waves can lose energy as they travel through air due to absorption by molecules, or as they hit objects and are reflected or scattered.

3. How does Sound Wave Energy Loss affect sound quality?

Sound wave energy loss can have a significant impact on the quality of sound. As the energy of the sound waves decreases, the sound becomes quieter and may also lose clarity and definition. This can make it more difficult to hear or understand the sound, especially over long distances or in noisy environments.

4. Can Sound Wave Energy Loss be prevented?

While some amount of sound wave energy loss is inevitable, it can be minimized by using certain techniques or materials. For example, using sound-absorbing materials in a room can reduce the amount of energy lost through absorption. Additionally, using directional sound sources can help prevent energy loss in a specific direction.

5. How is Sound Wave Energy Loss measured or quantified?

Sound wave energy loss can be quantified using various measurements, such as decibels (dB) or sound pressure level (SPL). These measurements indicate the intensity or loudness of a sound at a given distance from the source. By comparing the sound level at different distances, the amount of energy lost can be calculated.