Sources of errors on Determinating Faraday's Constant experiment

In summary, the three sources of error in the calculation for Faraday's Constant in Part B are rubbing the electrodes dry, inaccurate measurements, and the actual current/voltage selected. Of these, the greatest source of error is likely rubbing the electrodes dry, as it can significantly change the weight of the copper strips used in the calculation.
david2120
Give three sources of error in your calculation in Part B. Which of these contributions the greatest source of error? Explain.

In part B i did 6 steps in determination of Faraday's Constant.

1. I marked two copper strips (to distinguish them) and weigh them

2. Attach these to the alligator clips of your apparatus

3. Half fill a 150 ml beaker with 0.1M CuSO4 solution; insert the copper strips into the solution and begin timing.

4. Read the ammeter and record the value every thirty seconds for fifteen minutes.

5. Disconnect the alligator clips, allow the electrodes to sit for a minute, then rinse them. Allow to dry on a paper towel and reweigh.

6. Perform the appropriate calculations.

I believe that the greastest source of error is too rub the electrodes dry I think that would change your calculations on the weight of the copper strips.

second would be inaccurate measurements.

third would be contamination on glassware

Physics news on Phys.org
david2120 said:
I believe that the greastest source of error is too rub the electrodes dry I think that would change your calculations on the weight of the copper strips.
david2120 said:
second would be inaccurate measurements.
third would be contamination on glassware
"Inaccurate measurements" of what? Times and currents come readily to mind. "Contamination on glassware" is NOT a significant source. Actual current/voltage selected is one possible third source of error.

Related to Sources of errors on Determinating Faraday's Constant experiment

1. What is Faraday's Constant and why is it important to determine it?

Faraday's Constant is a physical constant that represents the amount of electric charge per mole of electrons. It is important to determine it because it is a fundamental value in electrochemistry and is used to calculate various quantities, such as the amount of substance produced during an electrolysis reaction.

2. What are the main sources of error in determining Faraday's Constant?

The main sources of error in determining Faraday's Constant include experimental errors such as incorrect measurements or readings, temperature fluctuations, impurities in the electrolyte solution, and human error. Equipment malfunctions or calibration issues can also contribute to errors in the experiment.

3. How can temperature fluctuations affect the determination of Faraday's Constant?

Temperature fluctuations can affect the determination of Faraday's Constant because the rate of reaction is directly proportional to temperature. If the temperature changes during the experiment, it can alter the rate of reaction and affect the accuracy of the results. It is important to maintain a constant temperature throughout the experiment for more accurate results.

4. How can impurities in the electrolyte solution affect the determination of Faraday's Constant?

Impurities in the electrolyte solution can affect the determination of Faraday's Constant because they can alter the conductivity of the solution. This can lead to incorrect measurements and affect the accuracy of the results. It is important to use pure electrolyte solutions and to properly clean and maintain the equipment to minimize the presence of impurities.

5. What are some ways to minimize sources of error in determining Faraday's Constant?

To minimize sources of error in determining Faraday's Constant, it is important to carefully follow the experimental procedure and make accurate measurements. Maintaining a constant temperature and using pure electrolyte solutions can also help reduce errors. It is also helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times and take the average of the results to improve accuracy. Properly calibrating and maintaining equipment is also crucial in minimizing sources of error.