Space filling curves: two and a half questions

In summary: If something is "almost everywhere" then it must be differentiable somewhere, right? Yes, the thing is that "almost everywhere" doesn't mean "everywhere." It means that if you deform the curve in a certain way, then there is a tiny corner of the domain where the curve becomes differentiable. It's not exactly everywhere, but it's close.Question 1 is still not answered. It sounds like you are saying that even if there is only one curve that is differentiable in a tiny little corner, that doesn't mean it is smooth. Question 2 is still unanswered. It sounds like you are saying that it is possible for at least one space filling curve to be differentiable somewhere.
Bob3141592
I've been reading a bit on these, not in a rigorous way yet, and it's an enjoyable read. But now I've a few questions.

As I understand it, they allow for a continuous index set in [tex]\Re[/tex] to completely cover a higher dimensional [tex]\Re[/tex][tex]^{n}[/tex]. Everywhere continuous, but nowhere differentiable, so it can't be used to represent the codomain in any way. That's kind of what non-holomorphic means, yes? That's sort of disappointing, but it also sort of makes sense.

There can be many space filling curves for the same space - infinitely many, right? I think there should be uncountably many, but I'm not sure about that, which is question 1. If so, I'd expect it could be possible for at least one such curve to be differentiable somewhere, even if only in a tiny little corner. Is this possible? That's question 2. Is there any loophole in "nowhere differentiable" that might work out as "somewhere, but not elsewhere." If the answer to question 2 is yes, which I'm not expecting, then question 3 is if that tiny section might ever possibly be smooth.

Thanks much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about holomorphic stuff but it should be quite obvious that there are infinitely many (uncountably) space filling curves.. For instance, you can just re-parametrize the curve and compose different space filing curves in various ways (one to fill the lower left corner, the other the top left corner... etc). That'll only score you countably many curves though. But you can mix things up so that the curve at 1 is at a different position each time, then take the limit of certain curve compositions, that'll give you uncountably many.

Of course differentiability is possible since you can just put two curves on top of each other and whatever that differentiable piece doesn't cover, it'll be covered by the other piece. Further, anything curve higher or equal to C1 will fail to cover space, simply due to inverse function theorem.

Last edited:
tim_lou said:
I don't know much about holomorphic stuff but it should be quite obvious that there are infinitely many (uncountably) space filling curves.. For instance, you can just re-parametrize the curve and compose different space filing curves in various ways (one to fill the lower left corner, the other the top left corner... etc). That'll only score you countably many curves though. But you can mix things up so that the curve at 1 is at a different position each time, then take the limit of certain curve compositions, that'll give you uncountably many.

Thanks for the reply, Tim (or is it Lou?) I agree it is pretty obvious. But it brings up other questions. Setting the curve at 1 means fixing the value of the end point of the indexing interval, if I understand you.The more I think about this "last" point the more uncomfortable I get. It imposes a structure of firstness and lastness on the higher dimensional space that doesn't exist. This can be avoided by making the space filling curve "close upon itself" by having the last point at connect to the first point - something we can do with an equivalence class, right? Seen that way, changing the value at 1 might not give us a different curve at all. We might be on exactly the same curve, only further down along the path.

Of course differentiability is possible since you can just put two curves on top of each other and whatever that differentiable piece doesn't cover, it'll be covered by the other piece. Further, anything curve higher or equal to C1 will fail to cover space, simply due to inverse function theorem.

I don't understand this. Perhaps I don't know what you mean by "cover." It almost sounds like your saying you can sum over non-differentiable functions to get one that is differentiable, which I don't think is true. So I'm confused. And doesn't the inverse function theorem require continuous differentiability, so it might not apply.

I learned today that there are terms "nowhere" differentiable, almost "nowhere", and "almost everywhere." That was the thought I was trying to get at.

Related to Space filling curves: two and a half questions

1. What are space filling curves?

Space filling curves are mathematical constructions that can fill a two-dimensional space or a higher-dimensional space with a continuous curve. They are also known as fractal curves due to their self-similar nature.

2. How do space filling curves work?

Space filling curves work by recursively dividing a given space into smaller and smaller parts and then filling those parts with a continuous curve. This process is repeated infinitely, resulting in a curve that can pass through every point in the space.

3. What are some applications of space filling curves?

Space filling curves have various applications in mathematics, computer graphics, and data compression. They are also used in image compression algorithms, as well as in creating realistic-looking landscapes and textures in computer-generated imagery.

4. Can space filling curves fill a three-dimensional space?

No, space filling curves can only fill up to a maximum of two and a half dimensions. This means that they can fill a two-dimensional space and can partially fill a three-dimensional space, but they cannot fill a three-dimensional space completely.

5. Who discovered space filling curves?

The concept of space filling curves was first introduced by Giuseppe Peano in 1890. However, the most well-known space filling curve, the Hilbert curve, was discovered by David Hilbert in 1891.