Speed of box from ramp to floor

In summary: This is more of an introductory physic's class that's alegbra based so it shouldn't be too hard. But angle was given but the size of box was notHopefully your teacher accepts both answers. The question is not clear.
HumanDrew
Hey, so I just finished taking a physic's test and one of the question was interesting to me. I thought it was pretty simple but my friend did the problem a different way, so I'm wondering what's the correct way to do this problem. So a box is moving down a frictionless ramp and onto the floor. The floor has a coefficient of friction and you have to find the distance it travels before stopping. I said that the speed the box has at the bottom of the ramp is the same speed the box initially has on the floor. My friend says that the speed of the box from bottom of ramp decreases when it goes onto the horizontal floor because it's approaching the horizontal floor at an angle. He told me that the vertical component of the velocity at the bottom of the ramp would be gone once it reaches the floor and your initial velocity on the floor is just the horizontal component of the velocity at the bottom of the ramp. What's the correct way to do this problem? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
HumanDrew said:
Hey, so I just finished taking a physic's test and one of the question was interesting to me. I thought it was pretty simple but my friend did the problem a different way, so I'm wondering what's the correct way to do this problem. So a box is moving down a frictionless ramp and onto the floor. The floor has a coefficient of friction and you have to find the distance it travels before stopping. I said that the speed the box has at the bottom of the ramp is the same speed the box initially has on the floor. My friend says that the speed of the box from bottom of ramp decreases when it goes onto the horizontal floor because it's approaching the horizontal floor at an angle. He told me that the vertical component of the velocity at the bottom of the ramp would be gone once it reaches the floor and your initial velocity on the floor is just the horizontal component of the velocity at the bottom of the ramp. What's the correct way to do this problem? Thanks!
The horizontal velocity as it leaves the ramp is determined by how much KE it has, which is equal to the change in PE as the box slides down the frictionless ramp from top to bottom.

It is hard to say how much of the vertical component of momentum p will get converted to horizontal p. If the angle was 90 degrees, the block would just crash and stop at the bottom of the ramp, with zero vertical p converted to horizontal p. If there was even a small curvature where ramp meets floor, more of the vertical p would get converted to horizontal. But with a sharp corner I am tempted to say your friend is closer to being right.

anorlunda said:
It is hard to say how much of the vertical component of momentum p will get converted to horizontal p. If the angle was 90 degrees, the block would just crash and stop at the bottom of the ramp, with zero vertical p converted to horizontal p. If there was even a small curvature where ramp meets floor, more of the vertical p would get converted to horizontal. But with a sharp corner I am tempted to say your friend is closer to being right.
Good point. We would need the angle of the ramp and the physical size of the box to start slowing it down with friction as the leading edge contacts the floor. Were those given in the problem?

berkeman said:
Good point. We would need the angle of the ramp and the physical size of the box to start slowing it down with friction as the leading edge contacts the floor. Were those given in the problem?
This is more of an introductory physic's class that's alegbra based so it shouldn't be too hard. But angle was given but the size of box was not

Hopefully your teacher accepts both answers. The question is not clear.

What is the "speed of box from ramp to floor"?

The speed of box from ramp to floor refers to the velocity at which a box moves from the top of a ramp to the bottom, taking into account factors such as the angle of the ramp, the mass of the box, and any friction present.

How is the speed of the box affected by the angle of the ramp?

The steeper the angle of the ramp, the faster the box will accelerate down the ramp due to the force of gravity. This results in a higher speed at the bottom of the ramp compared to a shallower angle.

What role does the mass of the box play in the speed from ramp to floor?

The mass of the box affects the speed from ramp to floor because it determines the amount of force needed to accelerate the box. A heavier box will require more force to accelerate to a certain speed compared to a lighter box.

How does friction impact the speed of the box from ramp to floor?

Friction acts against the motion of the box, slowing it down. The presence of friction on the ramp will result in a lower speed at the bottom compared to a frictionless ramp.

Can the speed of the box from ramp to floor be calculated?

Yes, the speed of the box from ramp to floor can be calculated using the principles of motion and forces, such as Newton's laws. By knowing the angle of the ramp, the mass of the box, and the amount of friction, the speed can be calculated using mathematical equations.