Speed of Sound & Light at Sea Level

CIn summary, the speed of light at sea level is 299792,458 km/s and the speed of sound at sea level is 1115.7 ft/sec in 15 degrees C. If you need these numbers, it is recommended to search the web for them instead of relying on someone else to provide them for you.
Caesar_Rahil
I want to know the speed of sound at sea level. :confused:

I also want to know the exact speed of light in kilometres. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have the numbers at my finger tips. If I needed them as bad as you seem to I would probably use a web search. Any reason you cannot search the web for yourself?

Give a man a fish and he eats once, teach a man to fish, he eats his whole life... Go fishing.

Caesar_Rahil said:
I also want to know the exact speed of light in kilometres. :confused:

A speed in kilometers?!? In km/s it is: 299792,458 km/s exactly.

Sound: 1115.7 ft/sec

1. What is the speed of sound at sea level?

The speed of sound at sea level is approximately 343 meters per second (m/s) or 1,125 feet per second (ft/s). This value may vary slightly depending on factors such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure.

2. How does the speed of sound change at higher altitudes?

The speed of sound increases with altitude due to a decrease in air density. This means that sound travels faster at higher altitudes compared to sea level. At an altitude of 11 km (36,000 feet), the speed of sound is approximately 295 m/s (968 ft/s).

3. What is the speed of light at sea level?

The speed of light at sea level is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s) or 983,571,056 feet per second (ft/s). This value is constant and does not change with altitude or other environmental factors.

4. Is the speed of sound or light faster?

The speed of light is significantly faster than the speed of sound. While sound travels at approximately 343 m/s, light travels at a much faster speed of 299,792,458 m/s.

5. How do the speeds of sound and light differ in terms of their mediums?

Sound waves require a medium, such as air or water, to travel through. In contrast, light does not require a medium and can travel through a vacuum. This is why we can see the light from the sun and stars in outer space, but we cannot hear any sound.