Sprinkle soil on the ice wall around driveway?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
I have 5 feet of compacted snow/ice walls hugging my driveway. A crazy thought went through my mind that I have extra bags of soil in my garage that are nearly black. I thought maybe I could melt the ice walls down and not hurt my lawn or driveway if I sprinkled that soil on the walls when it's sunny. Cool idea or a bad idea?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In the big picture, it is bad for the Earth.
We need to reflect more heat into space.
You are causing global warming.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes sophiecentaur, Rive, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Yes, it will help. Not crazy, just physics. I live up north, in the land of unsalted roads. In sunny weather, road ice melts next to the clear areas, but does not melt where it is too thick for the sun to get through to the black pavement. Sprinkle on a very thin layer, just enough to absorb the heat.

And the Wisconsin DNR thanks you for being environmentally conscious and not using salt, even if you are causing global warming: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/newsroom/... shown a,impaired by high salt concentrations.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Yes, it should help. Soil, soot, ash from the fireplace, they all help in similar way.

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt
As said, thin or thinner layer.
too much and one gets insulation for the ice/snow.

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Maybe a sheet of clear polythene over the top, to get some local greenhouse effect.

Baluncore said:
Maybe a sheet of clear polythene over the top, to get some local greenhouse effect.
I think greenhouses require an infra red absorber inside in order to work.

tech99 said:
I think greenhouses require an infra red absorber inside in order to work.
While I think, your 'IR absorber', (a wavelength converter to IR), would be the soil that was first sprinkled onto the surface. The clear film reduces the loss of half the IR, before the IR can melt the snow.

1. Why should I sprinkle soil on the ice around my driveway?

Adding soil to the ice around your driveway can improve traction, reducing the risk of slips and falls. The soil adds a rough texture to the slippery surface, making it easier to walk or drive over safely.

2. What type of soil is best for sprinkling on icy surfaces?

Coarse, gritty soils are best for use on icy surfaces because they provide better traction. Avoid using fine or clay-heavy soils as they can become slick and compacted when wet.

3. How much soil should I use on the ice?

It's important to use a moderate amount; enough to cover the ice lightly but not so much that it forms thick layers which can become muddy and slippery when the ice melts. A thin, even layer should suffice.

4. Is there an alternative to using soil on ice?

Yes, alternatives like sand, kitty litter, or commercial ice melt products can also be used to provide traction on icy surfaces. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, such as quicker melting with ice melt products or easier cleanup with sand.

5. Can sprinkling soil on ice cause any environmental issues?

While sprinkling soil on ice is generally safe, overuse can lead to accumulation of soil in nearby grass or garden areas, potentially affecting plant growth. Also, if the soil contains any chemicals or salts, it could lead to environmental contamination. It's best to use clean, natural soil and apply it sparingly.